Friday, January 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:32 pm Couldn't puzzle out the Latin. Roosevelt pointed me to New York, and I tried to decide between the Hudson River & the Erie Canal.
How about "Roosevelt + waterway + Spanish language" points to Panama Canal??
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R (Only missing Detroit Lions, Halfway House, UNLV, Jack Lemmon, and Tab)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: 200 meters, Peace Pipe, Work, Shoals, Tea, Sir Lawrence Olivier, Jessie Norman
Douglas Squasoni
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Had a tough time with these boards. I expected that on Shakespeare, but the others seemed within my reach even though I was missing and clamming a lot.

Like someone else, Roosevelt had me looking in NY first. Didn't think the Erie canal was right, particularly with the Spanish names. I don't know Spanish, so translating that name wasn't happening. Briefly considered where in a Spanish-speaking country FDR had some influence during WWII. Finally had to convince myself that the waterway was the Rio Grande. Calling it a waterway instead of a river seemed off but had to write something down. Cue the Homer Simpson "Doh!!" at the reveal.

If only the contestants could ask a BMS on which Roosevelt was in the clue. :lol:
--Peter
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:14 pm 50 R (Only missing Detroit Lions, Halfway House, UNLV, Jack Lemmon, and Tab)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: 200 meters, Peace Pipe, Work, Shoals, Tea, Sir Lawrence Olivier, Jessie Norman
funny thing is...i got all of those right, but missed all of your lach trash
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Didn't see it, but I wonder how Alex pronounced "Roosevelt". Teddy's branch of the family, I understand, pronounced it "Ruse-" while Franklin's said "Rose-".
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:35 am Didn't see it, but I wonder how Alex pronounced "Roosevelt". Teddy's branch of the family, I understand, pronounced it "Ruse-" while Franklin's said "Rose-".
There's supposedly a private letter in someone's collection somewhere in which TR wrote that his name was pronounced "Rosavelt," with the first syllable sounding like "rose."