Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Re: Thursday, January 3, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Linear Gnome »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:29 pm Acronyms don't necessarily have a 1-to-1 ratio of letters to words (see radar for another example).

I remember one of the first times I heard of AIDS in the 1990s, it was in printed material that spelled out what the acronym stood for and specified that the ID could be "immune deficiency" or "immunodeficiency."
I had wondered if there would be a reversal--based on the discussion here (which I appreciate), sounds as if the ruling is reasonable. I had also been wondering if "Yankee Candles" would be negged since the company is called "Yankee Candle".

I had an embarrassing miss on the St. Louis flag clue. I saw the fleur de lis and headed immediately to New Orleans, apparently with my hands over my ears going "la la la" while Alex was talking about the convergence of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers. I think I've even seen the flag recently and thought that the design made sense.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 pmDid anyone else collect those California Raisins figurines you used to be able to get at Hardee's in the early 90s?
Yes, and I still have the complete set.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

earendel wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:08 am
Euphonium wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:57 pmDid anyone else collect those California Raisins figurines you used to be able to get at Hardee's in the early 90s?
Yes, and I still have the complete set.
I wouldn't be surprised if one of those is inside what was formerly the nearest Hardee's to me. It just abruptly closed in 1997 and is still sitting empty. All the furniture and equipment is still inside it.