LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by sarisson »

Yesterday I needed one of three things to happen to stay in A:
1. Beat Blue Lion
2. Have #23 lose or tie
3. Have #24 lose or tie
I couldn't beat Blue Lion, but the other two things happened. I finished with personal highs in match points and 3-pointers and my second-most TCA, mostly due to the beginning third of the season. I went 38/48 in the first eight games (matching a certain JenningsK) but 54/102 afterwards, well behind his 88/102!
Hoping for a third lap
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

In my first season in an A rundle, I was able to pull out an 8th place finish in A Taiga despite a minor drop in my Q% (from .705 down to .698). Ending up with the most favorable CAA (97) in the rundle certainly helped out. If not for the :cry: decision of going with "indefinite article" over "interjection" on Thursday, I could've finished in 5th place.

Most frustrating moment of the season: not being able to pull the "lawful" half of the D&D alignments question. :x

Most gratifying/sigh of relief moment of the season: defeating trivia steamroller/eventual rundle winner IsmailST 8(5)-6(5) on MD21 after thinking I was sunk by blowing the heavy metal question. I must have changed my answer back and forth from "Judas Priest" to "Iron Maiden" half a dozen times that day. :)
I would prefer not to.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

14-6-5. I missed the first day and promptly signed up to receive texts. I had a couple of days where everything went my way and it helped that I’ve traveled a bit. I hate to sound like TPH but I had a devil of a time with the last day’s question about iambic & I still can’t recall the answer. Some things just aren’t retained as one ages.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

sarisson wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:01 pm Yesterday I needed one of three things to happen to stay in A:
1. Beat Blue Lion
2. Have #23 lose or tie
3. Have #24 lose or tie
I couldn't beat Blue Lion, but the other two things happened. I finished with personal highs in match points and 3-pointers and my second-most TCA, mostly due to the beginning third of the season. I went 38/48 in the first eight games (matching a certain JenningsK) but 54/102 afterwards, well behind his 88/102!
I'm glad you get to stay in A rundle. I had an extraordinarily lucky season--A DE of .800 is simply not sustainable. I guess this season makes up for LL73, when I was rated the 10th-unluckiest player in LL.

All the best to you this Christmas season!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Pity the season had to end just when I was figuring this game out, nonetheless I finished #26 with a bullet. I actually went to bed Friday morning thinking I had managed the Dave deBusschere*, but I missed the art question, for which I was zeroed. I got a little excited after "greatest show on earth" occurred to me, and submitted in some haste, though actually Cezanne was the only one of that list I particularly associated with "still life", so it's one I might have missed regardless.

*Consecutive** six packs, which Dd used to down in the locker room after every game. I'm not trying to create new jargon because for one thing it's a bit late and also, this habit may have contributed to Dd's mildly early death by heart attack. But it seemed a smooth way to segue into the following trivial troika:

Who scored the first NBA points in the "new" (1968-today) Madison Square Garden?

Answer:
Spoiler
Dave deBusschere. Did I telegraph that one? Ok, try the next:

For what team did he score them?

Answer:
Spoiler
The Detroit Pistons. Maybe you knew that, but how about this one:
What team did he score them against?

Answer:
Spoiler
The Boston Celtics. Kudos if you knew that. I suppose the Celtics were accorded 𝑑𝑟𝑜𝑖𝑡 𝑑𝑒 𝑠𝑒𝑖𝑔𝑛𝑒𝑢𝑟 for their dominance of the league in those days.
** Or "back to back", but let's imagine I was talking about three in a row, rather than two. You 'll often hear "back to back to back" in such cases, but try to picture such a situation. If you're able to, maybe you should be an artist.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Troydozzy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Troydozzy »

My worst TCA ever and 11 ties meant that I was scraping the bottom of A midland most of the season. A victory in the last match lifted me out of the relegation zone, but it doesn't feel as if my play this season warranted it. I don't know if it was the distraction of a new job or that the questions were not that friendly, but I was glad when LL79 ended.
clprez

Post by clprez »

As soon as I decided that I would sit out next season, I won 9 matches in a row. I was tempted to change my mind, but I will be doing some traveling during that time too, so I'm going to stick to it.

After I checked the box stating that I was sitting out, I didn't have access to some parts of the site, because I had to be a member to access them. I tried again a few minutes ago, and now I can. This now makes me wonder if I will be able to enter the one-days in the off-season. Does anybody know?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

clprez wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:25 pm As soon as I decided that I would sit out next season, I won 9 matches in a row. I was tempted to change my mind, but I will be doing some traveling during that time too, so I'm going to stick to it.

After I checked the box stating that I was sitting out, I didn't have access to some parts of the site, because I had to be a member to access them. I tried again a few minutes ago, and now I can. This now makes me wonder if I will be able to enter the one-days in the off-season. Does anybody know?
I've never heard of this, my guess would be it was just a glitch. Even if your membership was expiring, you would still be able to play all ML and 1DS until the next season starts, so simply sitting out a season shouldn't affect anything.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

As of right now I haven't played any of this weekend's 1DS's, and I just unsubscribed to 2 of the ML's and may drop out of a 3rd. I've been doing the Completist Cup for 3 years now, but since it's no longer official, it's no longer fun, I'll confess. So, I'm pulling off the Band-Aid. Gonna just play what's fun from here on out.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:20 pm Gonna just play what's fun from here on out.
Welcome to the club!

( I think the only thing I am doing this off-season is the Video Games ML.)
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

I've been lurking on the LL site for years now, mock-playing 1DSs and Match Days and occasionally reading the message boards. As of this morning, all of the content I had been able to access are now behind a login wall. Was there a commissioner announcement regarding this change? I travel ~60% of the time for work, so I'm afraid to commit to a season as I might miss a deadline and forfeit, thus bringing great shame upon my referrer.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

kerryoakie wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:38 am I've been lurking on the LL site for years now, mock-playing 1DSs and Match Days and occasionally reading the message boards. As of this morning, all of the content I had been able to access are now behind a login wall. Was there a commissioner announcement regarding this change? I travel ~60% of the time for work, so I'm afraid to commit to a season as I might miss a deadline and forfeit, thus bringing great shame upon my referrer.
I do not recall seeing any announcement of the change but I indeed see the same as you if I log out.

If you feel like taking the plunge and trying to get a referral, you should know that there’s advance access, as long as you know your travel schedule ahead of time you can plan for it and up to 10 matches out of 25 in each season can be played in advance.

Also even if you don’t want to play regular LL after your rookie season, it is possible to maintain a membership and therefore still be able to view all the quizzes and messageboards, plus play one days when they interest you, for just $30 a year.

Of course that’s all assuming this is an actual permanent change and not just a glitch, I will post here if it is confirmed at some point.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

kerryoakie wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:38 am I've been lurking on the LL site for years now, mock-playing 1DSs and Match Days and occasionally reading the message boards. As of this morning, all of the content I had been able to access are now behind a login wall. Was there a commissioner announcement regarding this change? I travel ~60% of the time for work, so I'm afraid to commit to a season as I might miss a deadline and forfeit, thus bringing great shame upon my referrer.
Live match play has been behind the login wall for years, so I'm surprised you were ever able to access it. I assume you were accessing through some kind of glitch which was recently tightened up.

I notice that you have to be logged in to read the message board now, which I don't believe used to be the case. I'm guessing it's a privacy thing. Updating that probably updated everything else.

Were you able to access player profiles? That's been behind the login for years too.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 pm
Live match play has been behind the login wall for years, so I'm surprised you were ever able to access it. I assume you were accessing through some kind of glitch which was recently tightened up.

I notice that you have to be logged in to read the message board now, which I don't believe used to be the case. I'm guessing it's a privacy thing. Updating that probably updated everything else.

Were you able to access player profiles? That's been behind the login for years too.
It’s always been possible, I believe, to view match day questions as well as one days/ML, just a day later when the match is no longer live.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:06 pm

It’s always been possible, I believe, to view match day questions as well as one days/ML, just a day later when the match is no longer live.
Yes, and it still is. I just logged out, and got into Swedish Music with no problem.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

I've never been able to access the live match day or player profiles, I just played the next morning. It appears now that I still have access to old match days and ODS, but not the message board. I have always enjoyed reading the recaps, but as long as I can still get my fix of trivia, I guess it's OK...

Once I have a more regular travel schedule, I might try to join in officially. I just started a new position, so everything is a little hectic right now.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Might've bitten off more than I can chew with the Rock and Roll ML. Took a bagel on day 1, although if I'd been able to remember the name of the band from the recent J! champion I would've pulled out a miracle 3(1) -2 (2) win. I went the Public Enemy route with the hip hop/hall of fame question and knew that Q5 was looking for Guns N Roses album but there was no way I was coming up with that. NHO Type O Negative and Ike Turner never came to mind...
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I'm disappointed I missed the cutoff for registration deadline on the rock and roll mini-league, honestly. I hadn't noticed it was going to be done differently, assuming it was going to be a series of one-days.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I just noticed that I'm in the the same Rock & Roll ML group as Brian Weikle. Jeez.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:25 am I just noticed that I'm in the the same Rock & Roll ML group as Brian Weikle. Jeez.
If it's any consolation, I had the same reaction when I noticed I was in the same group as you.
Brian Weikle
Season 19