Tuesday, January 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7902, 2019-01-08

CONTESTANTS
Jeff Spiess, a hospice physician from Bay Village, Ohio
Jessica Holloway, an art education student from The Woodlands, Texas
Zorn Pink, a policy analyst from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (whose 1-day cash winnings total $7,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to our program. $7,400 doesn't sound like a great deal of money when you compare it to what the usual winnings are for our Jeopardy! champions. But keep this in mind, please: that's U.S. dollars. In Canada, that's $48,000.

[Laughter]

Alex: Jessica and Jeff, that's--that--I just lied to America. Jessica, Jeff, welcome aboard. Let's go to work. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round, with one Daily Double awaiting you in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE OLD WEST (4/5)
ANIMATED DISNEY VILLAINS (5/5)
CATCH PHRASES (5/5)
WORLD OF WATER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NEWSPAPER NAMES (5/5)
GOING VEGAN (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jessica: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Zorn: 7 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Zorn: $3,600
Jeff: $2,200
Jessica: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jeff Spiess is from Ohio, and he's a pretty good grandfather because he does something special for each of his grandchildren. How many are there, first of all?

Jeff: There are six total.

Alex: Wow.

Jeff: Yes. My wife and I love experiencing the world, and we'd like to share a little bit of that with the grandchildren. So as each of them get to around 11, 12, 13, depending on the child, we're taking them on an individual international trip. So far we've done an Amazon cruise, theater and history in London, and most recently, this last spring, we were in Australia.

Alex: That's why grandparents are so beloved. You do good stuff for the kids.

Alex: Jessica Holloway is from The Woodlands in Texas. You met your husband at a bar--your future husband at a bar. The circumstances were a little unusual. Tell us.

Jessica: Well, I had met this guy on OKCupid. And he said, "Let's go to the bar." And we did, and that's not my husband. My husband was actually there on a date with another person. But we started talking, and...

Alex: You knew it right away. Good for you.

Alex: Zorn Pink is a policy analyst from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. And before coming to join us on Jeopardy!, he got a phone call or a message saying, "You need to see a higher-up at work." What was all that about? Bad news, good news?

Zorn: Well, I got called into my boss's office. And I'd showed up for work that morning; they'd said, "You have a meeting with them. Gotta go up there right now. Urgent question." I got into the meeting. They handed me a folder with a thing, and I opened it, and it was a piece of paper. And it was a note from our administer, or our boss, saying "Good luck on Jeopardy! Hope everything goes well."

Alex: So they know about you.

Zorn: Yeah.

Alex: All right. Even in the powers at the Parliament.

Zorn: That's right.

Alex: All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jeff found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Zorn had $3,600, Jessica had $1,400, and Jeff was at $2,600. Jeff wagered $2,000.

WORLD OF WATER $600: Water for this European capital city was historically provided by the Marathon reservoir
(Alex: In Greece.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE OLD WEST $400: The pseudonymous Ned Buntline sensationalized the old West in these novels with a price in their name
(Zorn: What are dime-store novels?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect before Double Jeopardy! because "dime-stores didn't come into being until the 1920s". Alex did not specify the correct response when Zorn responded or when issuing the reversal.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jeff: $8,600
Jessica: $6,400
Zorn: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE VERY OLD EAST (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHAPTERS OF THE NOVEL (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BEST NEW ARTIST GRAMMY BATTLES (5/5)
TIME TO GO GREEN (3/3)
ART & MYTHOLOGY (3/5)
ADD A LETTER (3/4) (Alex: Each correct response will be two words.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessica: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Jeff: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Zorn: 9 R (including 1 DD), 6 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Zorn snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Zorn had $1,200, Jessica had $12,000, and Jeff was at $9,000. Zorn wagered $2,000.

THE VERY OLD EAST $1200: Some 15 million years ago, what's now this country moved away from east Asia, & the same-named sea opened in its wake

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Zorn who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Zorn had $800, Jessica had $12,000, and Jeff was at $10,200. Zorn wagered $2,000.

CHAPTERS OF THE NOVEL $1600: "The Chateau d'If", "The Treasure"
(Alex: Zorn?)
(Zorn: What is the Casa of the Sierra--ah, Treasure of Sierra Madre?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ART & MYTHOLOGY $1200: Rubens painted several versions of "The Judgment of" him
(Alex: Battle of Troy.)

ART & MYTHOLOGY $1600: (Sarah of the Clue crew shows a painting on the monitor.) In mythology, many tales deal with transformation; here, having fled from an amorous Apollo, this nymph begs her father to transform her & destroy her beauty--he turns her into a laurel tree, the change just beginning

THE VERY OLD EAST $1600: The Himalayas became Earth's tallest mountains during this geologic epoch just before our current one
(Zorn: What is the Pliostene?)
(Jeff: What is the Pliocene?)
(Alex: No.)
(Jeff: Is that what he said? [*].)

CHAPTERS OF THE NOVEL $2000: "Clifford and Phoebe", "The Pyncheon-Garden"

ADD A LETTER $800: Add a letter to a novel or short story & it become a constant source of disagreement or conflict

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jessica: $13,200
Jeff: $13,000
Zorn: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1950s TRAVEL

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Jessica: Wager $12,801 to cover Jeff. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $3,201.
Jeff: Your score is within 4/5ths of Jessica's, so wager between $401 (venusian) and $3,399 (martian), beating Jessica's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Zorn's part.
Zorn: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Jeff, but if Jeff decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $4,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In March 1958 Hilton opened a hotel in this Western Hemisphere capital but 2 1/2 years later was out of business there

FINAL SCORES
Zorn: $4,800 + $4,000 = $8,800 (What is Havana) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jeff: $13,000 + $12,950 = $25,950 (What is Havana?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jessica: $13,200 + $12,801 = $26,001 (What is Havana?) (New champion: $26,001)
(Alex: [To Zorn] Thanks to the Corleone family, we got out of [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jessica: $13,200, 17 R, 0 W
Jeff: $11,600, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Zorn: $6,000, 16 R (including 1 DD), 8 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $30,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jessica: 18/58 = .310
Jeff: 18/59 = .305
Zorn: 17/60 = .283
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ANIMATED DISNEY VILLAINS $400: Maleficent
(Zorn: What is Snow White?)

WORLD OF WATER $400: The Scandinavian peninsula is separated from the rest of continental Europe by this arm of the north Atlantic

CATCH PHRASES $1000: According to song, if you do this, "put it in your pocket, never let it fade away"
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

BEST NEW ARTIST GRAMMY BATTLES $2000: This real "Superstar" brother/sister act beat the less-than-real Partridge Family in 1971
(Zorn: Who is Donny and Marie Osmond?)
(Alex: Richard and Karen.)

ART & MYTHOLOGY $800: Seen here on an ancient water jug is a depiction of Hercules leading this three-headed dog
(Zorn: Who is Cerebus?)

TIME TO GO GREEN $400: A rhododendron is usually this type plant & a pine, this type of tree
(Zorn: What is a conifer?)

THE VERY OLD EAST $2000: This first known Homo erectus specimen was discovered in the 1890s in what's now Indonesia
(Zorn: What is Lucy?)

BEST NEW ARTIST GRAMMY BATTLES $800: In 2000 the Grammy went to Christina Aguilera over this female fellow Mousketeer
[ERRATUM: The clue misspelled "Mouseketeer".]

ADD A LETTER $400: Add a letter to a place you park your car to get a load of rubbish
(Jessica: What is garbage?)
(Alex: Remember, we need two. Two words.)
(Jessica: What is [*]?)
(Alex: Thank you. Less than a minute now.)

ADD A LETTER $2000: A type of woolen thread becomes a word of longing when it gets a letter woven in
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Athens
dime novels
Japan
The Count of Monte Cristo
Judgment of Paris
Daphne
the Pleistocene
The House of the Seven Gables
fiction and friction
Havana
Sleeping Beauty
the Baltic Sea
catch a falling star
the Carpenters
Cerberus
evergreen
Java Man
Britney Spears
garage and garbage
yarn and yearn
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1950s TRAVEL

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In March 1958 Hilton opened a hotel in this Western Hemisphere capital but 2 1/2 years later was out of business there

Zorn Pink: 4800+4000=8800
Jessica Holloway: 13200+12801=26001 (New Champ)
Jeff Spiess: 13000+12950=25950

Correct response:
Spoiler
Havana

Daily Doubles
Jeff: 2600+2000
Zorn: 1200+2000
Zorn: 800-2000

Coryats
Zorn: 6000
Jessica: 13200
Jeff: 11600

Combined: 30,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Zorn: 3200
Jessica: 6400
Jeff: 8600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Zorn had a tough game with several misspeaks and errors and it became contagious when Jeff copied one that proved to be very costly.

THE OLD WEST $400: The pseudonymous Ned Buntline sensationalized the old west in these novels with a price in their name

Zorn was initially ruled correct for dimestore novels and then Alex had to bust him later since the stores were not around until later.

Jeff has several points in the game to revisit including DD1 when he left 600 on the table he could have used at the end.

The FJ! clue went 3/3 and I did my part to keep it at 100% even if I may not have been quite as fast as the players who had 30 seconds to kill doing nothing other than staring at their screens.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 am
THE OLD WEST $400: The pseudonymous Ned Buntline sensationalized the old west in these novels with a price in their name

Zorn was initially ruled correct for dimestore novels and then Alex had to bust him later since the stores were not around until later.
I went penny dreadful, which is a UK thing, so I don't think it counts.

Guessed Berlin for the capital, obvious in retrospect. Wasn't paying attention to the category.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ursula and Cruella de Vil were the only Disney villains I recognized. Malificent rings no bells for me.

Silk comes from insects?!

Moore Hunt = whiskey? How should I know that? That could be literally any liquor.

I thought "dimestore novels" was a stupid neg.

All but Carpenters in Grammy.

I had "garage" but couldn't turn it into a synonym for trash. So I tried taking a letter out of "Garbage" to see if I could make it a word, and came up empty. Had both words but didn't realize that I did, which is the worst kind of miss.

No guess on FJ! HOW was this a triple get?!
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

No luck on FJ.

I got Carpenters right. Same with Malificent and most in that category (not the Dumbo one though).
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 am Jeff has several points in the game to revisit including DD1 when he left 600 on the table he could have used at the end.
Only cost him a minimum of $25401, no big deal. Would have been a pretty good hourly rate had he spent 60 minutes on wagering theory before taping.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:19 pm Guessed Berlin for the capital, obvious in retrospect. Wasn't paying attention to the category.
Or the hemisphere. ;)
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

28 right.

No Lach Trash.

Instaget FJ.

I missed Maleficent and the Ringmaster among the Disney villains, and answered Carpenters correctly.
davey

Post by davey »

My response for this FJ was...Brasilia...
I remembered that this planned city is often considered a failure, and I thought maybe a failed tourist destination...Unfortunately it's more complicated than that, and it opened in 1960.
I guess i never even considered island nations, so missed the obvious... :oops:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pm Silk comes from insects?!
It's possible that you have heard the term "silkworm" but not unpacked its meaning.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pm No guess on FJ! HOW was this a triple get?!
It's basically a history question. It helps if you're aware that Havana was a big tourist destination before Castro took over; even if you're not, though, you basically have to think of something that happened in the Western Hemisphere around 1960 that would be Really Bad for tourism.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mxc_takeshi wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 pm 28 right.

No Lach Trash.

Instaget FJ.

I missed Maleficent and the Ringmaster among the Disney villains, and answered Carpenters correctly.
Ringmaster was my only miss, and I think I might have gotten it if I was able to warm up. Leading off with that was a bucket full of ice water...

Also, J! aired at its normal time. My panic appeared unfounded.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

OK, I get the reversal for “dimestore novels”, but what was the response they were looking for? Alex just said those stores weren’t around until the 1920s, now moving on
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:09 pm OK, I get the reversal for “dimestore novels”, but what was the response they were looking for? Alex just said those stores weren’t around until the 1920s, now moving on
Dime novels ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dime_novel )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I wonder if the anthropology clue about Java Man wasn't anachronistic. I doubt if it gets much attention in modern biology courses, and if so, just as a footnote being named as "homo erectus". I hope they don't keep wasting time teaching about Piltdown man. Or creationism, for that matter.

I think the writers blew it on the dime novel clue.

I knew immediately that the FJ was going for Cuba. Then I brainlocked for 10 seconds before getting the capital name even though I can't name one other city name except Guantanamo (not Cuban), and maybe Mariel is a city from the Mariel boat lift a few years back (it is a city).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

“Thanks to the Corleone family”? What the what?

(I instagot the clue like the contestants, I just don’t get Alex’s parenthetical)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 pm I can't name one other city name except Guantanamo (not Cuban)
Actually Guantanamo is a city, in the same named province, near the bay and US naval base (who derives it’s name from the city/bay).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 am “Thanks to the Corleone family”? What the what?

(I instagot the clue like the contestants, I just don’t get Alex’s parenthetical)
Alex likes movies such as The Godfather Part II and it's not unlike the host to have brought in a film in his quip about a FJ! clue that was dealing with actual events. The Corleones are fictional although they exist "as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy."