Friday, November 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bartleby »

34,600 coryat. Instaget final.
I would prefer not to.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Saturnalia wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:29 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:30 am Sorry to see Emily go, especially on an unforced error. I haven't seen the image she butchered, but unless there's a monocle, cigarette holder, or a wheelchair, I wouldn't expect younger folks to know Truman from Roosevelt by facial features. I don't think I could. Maybe, if it was the same as the image on the dime coin I could ID FDR, but not his face sans the cigarette holder.
Well, I'm 30, and my first instinct was FDR. The white hair, dark eyebrows, and rather austerely handsome face (and, perhaps, some sort of Bayesian prior that FDR is more iconic than Truman and thus arguably more likely to come up) nudged me there. But I kept looking at the face and a second later, well before Alex had finished reading the clue, I knew who they were going for.

It helps a little that my dad is a huge Harry Truman fan and that David McCullough biography, with a painting of Harry's face on the cover, was always lying around when I was a kid.
I don't see how anyone looking at photos of FDR and Truman could ever say that they look similar enough to be mistaken for each other - other than they were both older white guys. Just as an example, FDR was not generally photographed with glasses (can't say there was never such a photo), whereas Truman pretty much always had glasses. Their faces aren't the same shape. FDR always looked significantly older than he was (including dark circles under his eyes) due to smoking, health issues and if the Great Depression and WWII didn't age a president, I don't know what would.

I wish there had been a poll question because I guess I'd never have expected that someone so iconic in 20th century American history could be confused with his vice president. (Maybe the issue is that Truman isn't quite as recognizable so some folks were kind of reach to come up with a name).

My guess is that Emily simply blurted out the wrong name while she knew that it was FDR. A killer mistake to what might have been a pretty good run.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:08 pm The TitanTV listings for KABC say they're showing Tuesday's at 2 am, with the Teen Tournament beginning at the normal time on Wednesday.
Thanks -- what I posted is what the DirecTV on-screen guide said at the time I posted it, but it's now been updated to say the same thing TitanTV does.
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:39 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:26 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:30 am Sorry to see Emily go, especially on an unforced error. I haven't seen the image she butchered, but unless there's a monocle, cigarette holder, or a wheelchair, I wouldn't expect younger folks to know Truman from Roosevelt by facial features. I don't think I could. Maybe, if it was the same as the image on the dime coin I could ID FDR, but not his face sans the cigarette holder.
"The [National Portrait Gallery] has the only complete gallery of presidential portraits outside the White House; here's this chief executive"
Spoiler
Spoiler
FWIW, I blurted out "that's Truman" the instant the picture appeared on the screen, before hearing the clue. Though at age 39, I'm not sure I'd meet your criteria for "younger folks" ;)
My guess is that she mistook the rail his arm was resting on for the arm of a wheelchair.
Not that FDR would ever have allowed a wheelchair to appear in an official portrait...
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

41 right.

Alphabet City (4), Kids' Books (3), The Gender-free Option (5), If You Can't Beat 'em... (5), The Elephant (3), In the Room (1)

Treasures of the National Portrait Gallery (4), They're "Great" (4), Units of Measure (3), Roman Emperors (4), Pattern Recognition (1), Cast Irons (4)

Lach Trash: The Great Communicator, ampere; Daily Double: The Wild Bunch

A quick get- "Italian", "speed and luxury", and Iron= Fe.

Enjoy Hawaii, TPH!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:09 pm
I don't see how anyone looking at photos of FDR and Truman could ever say that they look similar enough to be mistaken for each other - other than they were both older white guys. Just as an example, FDR was not generally photographed with glasses (can't say there was never such a photo), whereas Truman pretty much always had glasses. Their faces aren't the same shape. FDR always looked significantly older than he was (including dark circles under his eyes) due to smoking, health issues and if the Great Depression and WWII didn't age a president, I don't know what would.
Now that I have seen the images (I've been away from here, thanks xxaaxx), and the wording, this is a vicious clue by my lights. Not to go all TPH (have fun in Oahu!), but to a left brained guy like me this could be anybody between Teddy and Ike (except the fat one) based on the period clothing. For sure it looks like the guy on the dime, not somebody who'd nuke your ass and then do it again because, well, we had another nuke... I don't think I have a mental image of my home state POTUS without a hat, and wasn't he a haberdasher?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,400
49 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ensenada, Hamilton (DD), atrium, The Great Communicator, atmosphere, Julia Ward Howe, ampere

Sorry in advance to those who will be annoyed by my moving two months' worth of nightly discussion threads to the top of the feed. Not sure why I stopped watching on my birthday, but now I'll need to make up for lost time. Jonathan struggled with the buzzer throughout, but he cleaned up on the bottom row. It still wouldn't have been enough without that gift on clue 60, but a win's a win.
Sprinkles are for winners.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:45 am Sorry in advance to those who will be annoyed by my moving two months' worth of nightly discussion threads to the top of the feed.
Speaking completely personally:

Apologizing in advance means you know what you're doing is bad, and yet you're still choosing to do it anyway.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:08 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:45 am Sorry in advance to those who will be annoyed by my moving two months' worth of nightly discussion threads to the top of the feed.
Speaking completely personally:

Apologizing in advance means you know what you're doing is bad, and yet you're still choosing to do it anyway.
With the SHC some are away for weeks at a time during the summer and someone might go thread by thread with bumps to get their answers posted. It's also not without precedent for a bunch of daily threads of regular games to be bumped for similar circumstances of someone falling behind.

The threads get buried fairly quickly and life goes on. Others will fall weeks behind and only post in the weekly FJ! poll threads. Over the years since 2011 when this board got going it generally seems to move along with a lighter hand than heavier hand. Opinions can vary on how the board functions.

I'm on the side of understanding why a bunch of old threads being bumped can be annoying while not sweating BDM's plan of action.

One Andy has given his thoughts and this could be a good instance for the other Andy to share what he thinks as well.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My personal belief would be, don’t feel like it’s necessary to bump all 40 game threads just because you’ve watched 40 games. Not meant to offend anyone, and not directed at Matty specifically, but no one cares about your Coryat score. If you have something interesting to say about the strategy of the game or one of the clues, by all means post it, but make sure you actually explain what you’re talking about as the memory of this game will have long since faded for most of the other board members who might be reading it.

What was the gift on clue 60? This game was two months ago, none of us remember the specifics.

Just my two cents... :P
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:33 am My personal belief would be, don’t feel like it’s necessary to bump all 40 game threads just because you’ve watched 40 games. Not meant to offend anyone, and not directed at Matty specifically, but no one cares about your Coryat score. If you have something interesting to say about the strategy of the game or one of the clues, by all means post it, but make sure you actually explain what you’re talking about as the memory of this game will have long since faded for most of the other board members who might be reading it.

What was the gift on clue 60? This game was two months ago, none of us remember the specifics.

Just my two cents... :P
Yeah, that pretty much hits it on the head for me (wait, I agree with Jeff? Whoa!). It won't exactly bother me (I'll just skip over them or glance at them), but I don't see much point in doing this. Someone else's Coryats from two months ago? Don't care. Which Lach Trash you got? I have no recollection of what the clues are. If you come across something substantive that hadn't been brought up before and merits discussion, absolutely. If you want to do a few of them at a time, I certainly won't stop you, but I would say that I'd prefer you not do so (unless, for some reason, you feel like you need to document these, though I can't imagine why).