Tuesday, January 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, January 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone else's gut instinct for FJ Hanoi? I quickly got the Western Hemisphere hint and changed to Havana, but the association to the "Hanoi Hilton" was instinctive.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Catch Phrases for 1000:

"What is a good way to set your undies on fire?" :lol:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I gave a guess which would have been equivalent to that of someone who has no idea what they're talking about. My consolation is that at least I named a capital city. Not even sure if it is in the Western hemisphere though.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

At first I thought there was going to be a "Paris Hilton" joke, but I remembered the prime meridian passes through England, so Paris was probably in the Eastern Hemisphere. Then I took the tourism angle and that got me to... Berlin. I realized that was no better hemisphere-wise than Paris, and finally got to the Americas. Mexico City made no sense, but I got Havana at long last, certainly not as quickly as the contestants apparently did, but a get's a get.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pm Ursula and Cruella de Vil were the only Disney villains I recognized. Malificent rings no bells for me.

Silk comes from insects?!

Moore Hunt = whiskey? How should I know that? That could be literally any liquor.

I thought "dimestore novels" was a stupid neg.

All but Carpenters in Grammy.

I had "garage" but couldn't turn it into a synonym for trash. So I tried taking a letter out of "Garbage" to see if I could make it a word, and came up empty. Had both words but didn't realize that I did, which is the worst kind of miss.

No guess on FJ! HOW was this a triple get?!

i got all of the disney correct and i don't know crap about disney

final was an instaget
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:06 am Anyone else's gut instinct for FJ Hanoi? I quickly got the Western Hemisphere hint and changed to Havana, but the association to the "Hanoi Hilton" was instinctive.
I spent too much time on Saigon, which was the capital of South Vietnam at the time. By the time I focused on "Western Hemisphere," it was too late and I just flailed.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

If it weren't for The Godfather II it is unlikely that I would have gotten FJ correct in the time allowed (especially considering the time I wasted thinking of SE Asia).
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Shoestring Catch was my only miss for today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *Dime Novels*, Paris, Daphne, Pleistocene, (The Count of Monte Cristo), The House of the Seven Gables, Fiction & Friction
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:50 am
dhkendall wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 am “Thanks to the Corleone family”? What the what?

(I instagot the clue like the contestants, I just don’t get Alex’s parenthetical)
Alex likes movies such as The Godfather Part II and it's not unlike the host to have brought in a film in his quip about a FJ! clue that was dealing with actual events. The Corleones are fictional although they exist "as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy."
But the writers often look to movies that relate to actual events for inspiration, not just Alex. We had one recently that didn't mention Amadeus, but surely harkened to it.
Maybe David doesn't know that Godfather II has scenes set around the fall of Havana.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 pm I wonder if the anthropology clue about Java Man wasn't anachronistic. I doubt if it gets much attention in modern biology courses, and if so, just as a footnote being named as "homo erectus". I hope they don't keep wasting time teaching about Piltdown man. Or creationism, for that matter.

I think the writers blew it on the dime novel clue.
Piltdown Man was a hoax. Java Man was not. Both are apt fodder for J!
Alex explained that "dime stores" are a 20th C phenomenon, whereas "dime novels" are from the 19th. So "dime store novel" is an anachronistic retronym. I think it was a good catch.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Having never seen "Dumbo" really came back to bite me in the ass...

Speaking of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Tricia Nadolny's reporting on sexual, emotional, and physical abuse in drum & bugle corps (a topic near and dear to my heart) is absolutely fucking phenomenal.

Seems like I've heard "shoestring" catch more often in the context of football than baseball...

I hope Rome, Georgia disposed of it very quickly

"Canadian rapper = Drake" is now a Pavlov for me. I've never actually listened to any of his music, though I probably should. In general, rap is not my taste, but the artistry behind it is astounding.

Coryat: $37,200

J: 28R2P. 5/5 on Old West, Catch Phrases, Water, and Newspaper Names. 4/5 on Disney and Going Vegan (couldn't come up with "silk" in time).

DJ: 20R7P. 5/5 on Very Old East. 4/5 on Chapters and Best New Artist (surprisingly enough). 3/4 on Add a Letter. 2/3 on Time to Go Green. 2/5 on Art & Mythology.

FJ: Instaget.

LT: Pleistocene
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:27 pm No guess on FJ! HOW was this a triple get?!
All you need is a middle-school knowledge of 20th century world history and American foreign policy to figure out what it almost certainly would be.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:21 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 pm I wonder if the anthropology clue about Java Man wasn't anachronistic. I doubt if it gets much attention in modern biology courses, and if so, just as a footnote being named as "homo erectus". I hope they don't keep wasting time teaching about Piltdown man. Or creationism, for that matter.

I think the writers blew it on the dime novel clue.
Piltdown Man was a hoax. Java Man was not. Both are apt fodder for J!
Alex explained that "dime stores" are a 20th C phenomenon, whereas "dime novels" are from the 19th. So "dime store novel" is an anachronistic retronym. I think it was a good catch.
I agree, but Alex only explained why "dime STORE novel" was wrong. He never provided the correct response. This may have confused viewers who didn't know that dime novels were a thing. I knew it and predicted the reversal.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 am “Thanks to the Corleone family”? What the what?

(I instagot the clue like the contestants, I just don’t get Alex’s parenthetical)
Alex likes movies such as The Godfather Part II and it's not unlike the host to have brought in a film in his quip about a FJ! clue that was dealing with actual events. The Corleones are fictional although they exist "as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy."
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Or getting out of Cuba?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:35 am At first I thought there was going to be a "Paris Hilton" joke, but I remembered the prime meridian passes through England, so Paris was probably in the Eastern Hemisphere.
I don’t think that the Prime Meridian is used for the colloquial usage of “the Western Hemisphere”, this would make Portugal and Ireland in a different hemisphere than Germany and Italy. Colloquially Western Hemisphere always means “the Americas” (which is strange because we have a terminology already!), as well as probably the eastern Pacific.

Yes, this means the eastern hemisphere is larger than the western.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:56 pm

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Or getting out of Cuba?
Major plot point in Godfather Part II is Michael Corleone traveling to Havana to invest in "tourism and hospitality" with another gangster; big boardroom scene about the rampant corruption with American businessmen and gangsters sitting at a table with the Cuban president discussing how the government will help their businesses -- and vice versa. Then at a big formal ball that night, the president abruptly announces his resignation and flees as Castro enters the city. Cut to scenes of chaos as the westerners scramble to evacuate. In the midst of the confusion, Micheal tells Fredo he knows about Fredo's betrayal.

Before Alex had finished reading the clue, my wife said, "Anyone who likes The Godfather is going to know that one immediately."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.