Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7903, 2019-01-09

CONTESTANTS
Evan Caris, a student and writer from Decatur, Georgia
Siobhan Fabio, an attorney from Little Rock, Arkansas
Jessica Holloway, an art education student from The Woodlands, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hello, everyone. Thank you very much. Jessica's enjoying her win yesterday, and she should. She played well. Siobhan and Evan, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. Now let's take a look at the categories, shall we?

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHEEL OF JEOPARDY! (5/5)
FOOD & DRINK (3/5)
THE BOOK'S CENSORED EDITIONS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HISTORY (5/5)
CHARLES DARWIN (5/5)
THE VOYAGE OF A BEAGLE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jessica: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Evan: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Siobhan: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jessica: $5,400
Siobhan: $1,800
Evan: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Foreign travel figures prominently in the lives of our two challengers on the program today. Evan Caris, from Decatur, Georgia, once hitchhiked in Morocco?

Evan: That's right, Alex. Yeah. I had maybe a little too much fun in Granada, Spain, the night before and missed my bus to Gibraltar. So I was like, "I'll go to Morocco. Whatever." But I got there, and it was dark when I arrived, and my phone was dead, so I just kind of stuck my thumb out and found a place to stay. Found a hotel in downtown Moroc--Tangier, and it was very nice.

Alex: Okay. Nothing bad happened.

Evan: No. No, no.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Siobhan Fabio is an attorney from Arkansas who was in China on the Great Wall and did something I haven't heard of other people doing.

Siobhan: I took a toboggan down the Great Wall of China. So I had to climb a lot of steps to get to the very top, and to get to the bottom, I could either walk back down or take this long, giant, wind-y sled all the way down to the bottom, and that's what I chose to do.

Alex: Did you have to pay to ride the sled?

Siobhan: I did a little.

Alex: Oh, okay. But it was fun.

Siobhan: It was fun.

Alex: All righty.

Alex: Jessica Holloway is an art education student from The Woodlands, Texas, who every year has to deal with Mexican brown bats. What's all that about?

Jessica: Well, usually, I actually encourage them to come to my home, because as you know, bats eat a lot of insects--mosquitoes, which is a plague in Texas. But to do that I have to leave the palm trees in our backyard untrimmed, so sometimes the neighbors maybe aren't fans. But I love the bats.

Alex: The bats perform a valuable service.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Siobhan found the Daily Double on the 17th clue. Jessica had $5,400, Siobhan had $2,000, and Evan was at $600. Siobhan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

THE BOOK'S CENSORED EDITIONS $400: Seen as obscene, Richard Burton's 1885 version of this book of Mideast fables was published with major cuts

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FOOD & DRINK $200: Oh, yeah! This non-carbonated beverage is Nebraska's state soft drink

FOOD & DRINK $1000: Sauce Raifort, made from this condiment, is served cold as an accompaniment to prime rib

THE BOOK'S CENSORED EDITIONS $1000: This first novel by Theodore Dreiser was reissued nearly a century after it was published to add back 40,000 words

THE VOYAGE OF A BEAGLE $800: As this ultra-hip persona, Snoopy debates whether he should spend time at the student union or the library

THE VOYAGE OF A BEAGLE $1000: In 1969 Snoopy described this as looking like a "dirty beach"; not quite as eloquent as magnificent desolation"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jessica: $7,400
Siobhan: $4,200
Evan: $2,400
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BARTLETT'S, A TO Z (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PLACES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
COMPOSING, DECOMPOSING (5/5)
"Q" INSIDE (4/5)
FOREIGN FILM AWARDS (4/5)
ERGONOMIC INJURIES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Siobhan: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Evan: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Jessica: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Evan snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Jessica had $7,400, Siobhan had $4,600, and Evan was at $3,200. Evan wagered $1,200.

PLACES $1200: The lush island of Naxos has been called "The Green Leaf of" this sea

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Siobhan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Jessica had $14,200, Siobhan had $16,600, and Evan was at $6,800. Siobhan wagered $1,600.

BARTLETT'S, A TO Z $2000: Z:
Attributed to this revolutionary, "It is better to die on your feet than to live on you knees!"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"Q" INSIDE $1600: It's French for nickname

FOREIGN FILM AWARDS $1200: This director of "The Skin I Live In" has been nominated for the Goya Award for Best Director 9 times

BARTLETT'S, A TO Z $400: A:
This "Family" cartoonist for his caption "May I borrow a cup of cyanide?"

ERGONOMIC INJURIES $2000: RSIs, repetitive strain injuries, include one to this 4-muscle cuff in the shoulder; it affects painters as well as pitchers

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Siobhan: $19,400
Jessica: $14,200
Evan: $8,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV DRAMAS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Siobhan: Wager $9,001 to cover Jessica.
Jessica: You need to wager $2,601 to cover Evan's doubled score, but no more than $3,800 if you want to top Siobhan on a Triple Stumper.
Evan: Seeing as you don't have enough money to win on a Triple Stumper (you will lose by at least $2,000), you might try betting $5,801, playing for a win if Jessica tries to two-thirds Siobhan (though, from this position, a wager of all $8,400 is acceptable and perhaps preferred as it forces Jessica to cover you).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
So that viewers wouldn't think it was about opera, the "R" in this show's logo was turned into a gun

FINAL SCORES
Evan: $8,400 - $5,801 = $2,599 (What is) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jessica: $14,200 + $14,200 = $28,400 (What is The Sopranos) (2-day champion: $54,401)
Siobhan: $19,400 - $9,001 = $10,399 (What is Mozart in the) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Siobhan: $18,200, 19 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Jessica: $14,200, 18 R, 4 W
Evan: $8,400, 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $40,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Jessica: 19/58 = .328
Siobhan: 19/60 = .317
Evan: 14/59 = .237
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHEEL OF JEOPARDY! $200: A board for when you are bored

_ _ C K _ _ M M _ _

WHEEL OF JEOPARDY! $400: Three or more giving mutual support

A G R _ _ P
_ _ G

WHEEL OF JEOPARDY! $600: Insomniac's activity

T _ _ _ _ N _
_ N _
T _ _ N _ N _

WHEEL OF JEOPARDY! $800: Precursor to the SUV

S T _ _ T _ _ _
W _ G _ _

WHEEL OF JEOPARDY! $1000: One of a twin in the Midwest

S _ _ N _
_ A U _

[Applause for Jessica running the category.]
(Alex: [To Jessica] You know, maybe you should try out for that other program. Pat and Vanna would love to welcome you, I'm sure.)

THE BOOK'S CENSORED EDITIONS $800: Many passages depicting Basil's love for the title character were cut from editions of this Oscar Wilde book
(Siobhan: What is The Portrait of Dorian Grey?)

THE VOYAGE OF A BEAGLE $200: As an ace in this war, Snoopy was "two thousand feet over St. Juvin...suddenly a Fokker triplane appeared"
(Jessica: What is World War II?)

CHARLES DARWIN $200: Darwin used "descent with modification" before warming to this 9-letter word for biological changes over time
(Jessica: What is adaptation?)

CHARLES DARWIN $400: Darwin called this 1859 work "one long argument"
(Jessica: What is The Origin of the Species?)

COMPOSING, DECOMPOSING $800: Had some travails with "La Traviata"; died in Milan in 1901 & is buried at the home for retired musicians that he founded
(Evan: Who is Puccini?)

"Q" INSIDE $1200: Native to Asia, this fruit is often used in jams and jellies
(Evan: What is mango?)

ERGONOMIC INJURIES $400: Carpal tunnel syndrome afflicts your wrist, while tarsal tunnel syndrome happens here
(Jessica: What is the hand?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Arabian Nights
Kool-Aid
horseradish
Sister Carrie
Joe Cool
the Moon
the Aegean
(Emiliano) Zapata
sobriquet
Pedro Almodóvar
Charles Addams
your rotator cuff
The Sopranos
backgammon
a group hug
tossing and turning
station wagon
Saint Paul
Picture of Dorian Grey
World War I
evolution
The Origin of Species
(Giuseppe) Verdi
the kumquat
the ankle
Last edited by Archivists on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TV DRAMAS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
So that viewers wouldn’t think it was about opera, the “R” in this show’s logo was turned into a gun

Jessica Holloway: 14200+14200=28400 (2x = $54,401)
Siobhan Fabio: 19400-9001=10399
Evan Caris: 8400-5801=2599

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Sopranos (Siobhan – Mozart in the) (Evan – What is)

Daily Doubles
Siobhan: 2000+2000
Evan; 3200+1200
Siobhan: 16600+1600

Coryats
Jessica: 14200
Siobhan: 18200
Evan: 8400

Combined: 40,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jessica: 7400
Siobhan: 4200
Evan: 2400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This game had some classic J! busts that Alex has done many times with the Darwin title, the Wilde work and the wrong composer ending with “i.”

On the subject of bust, more appropriate for the 2019 current thread, there is a Netflix show called, Bodyguard. If it comes up do not include a “The” to turn it into the Costner/Houston movie.

Alex wasn’t kidding when he said, “Maybe you should try out for that other program. Pat & Vanna would love to welcome you, I’m sure.” That was well-earned applause for the run of WHEEL OF JEOPARDY! to conclude the first segment.

Young people. [shakes head] If only I had happened to be wearing my Snoopy shirt with the correct response today.

I will not argue with Hammer today on the first clue of the game, in a top box, going TS as “Oh, yeah!” did not do it for me.

The FJ! clue took me a few seconds to solve as momentary panic set in on the first reading since it was such a good category for me and I did not immediately know it. It was a huge relief when I realized what to write.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

May I ask what that clue 1 TS was? Reddit guy doesn't have the game posted yet.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:07 pm May I ask what that clue 1 TS was? Reddit guy doesn't have the game posted yet.
FOOD & DRINK $200: Oh, yeah! This non-carbonated beverage is Nebraska’s state soft drink

This is the kind of thing will Hammer will want federal indictment papers for a top box triple stumper, a poll request, and exaggerated adjective for how hard it was as it could be anything.

The hint was there and I did not pick up on it as ad jingles and such are not always good for me no matter how many times I've seen/heard them. Thinking it had to be something common I negged with milk over water as I had the urge to guess.

The correct response?
Spoiler
I understand how the clue will be no problem for many as it's not like it's unfamiliar to me yet I'm fine with a cry on the valuation in this case.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Thanks. I figured it was something like that based on your sentence. (I'd have gotten it without the extra clue #hb)

No one blessed you with this at Christmas, huh? Sad.

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

This was a case where I think Alex should have exaggerated the "Oh, yeah!" more. Had he emphasized those words more, it would have been very worthy of the $200 box.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I watch the show I make notes on things I want to comment on when I get to this board. Sometimes I cannot read my scribbling by the time the game is over. Today I could not remember what I wrote until this afternoon when a show I was watching mentioned prime rib.

FOOD & DRINK $1000: Sauce Raifort made from this condiment, is served cold as an accompaniment to prime rib

This clue in the category also went TS although this time I was not going to miss it. I was at a fancy (or hoity toity as they are known around here) restaurant and ordered the prime rib au jus (my grandfather had to explain to me what the French meant) as that was as close to a cheeseburger I was getting at that place.

The dish also came with a serving of a white condiment that I soon discovered was not mayonnaise. And that was the first and only time I've had horseradish. Lesson learned and not forgotten.

My age at the time? I don't know the exact number although I will embarrass myself and admit to the range of older than 18 and younger than 30.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the latest TD results posted:

The Sopranos — Singleton!
JayK33

I really hope he gets today's FJ! clue right since he was 0/2 this week.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:17 pm From the latest TD results posted:

JayK33

Thanks. It did take me a while, but I did get there eventually. :)

Thank goodness for morbeedo's TD and being reminded of my answer there before watching today's J! episode, otherwise I might have been 0/3.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Don't know how I couldn't figure out Kool-Aid.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Kool Aid didn't come to me. I would have been included in that TS if I was on the panel.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Despite what you all may think, I was actually stunned that Kool-Aid was a TS. I caught the "Oh yeah" TOM right away and had zero doubt as to what it could be.

Hannibal = elephants I learned from an early WWTBaM episode where someone missed equating Hannibal to elephants on the $100 question. That struck me as obscure at the time, because back then, $100 questions on WWTBaM were more along the lines of "Which of these is not a soft drink?" and then C would be something blatant like "gasoline".

I ran Wheel of Jeopardy! and, surprisingly, that injury category in DJ!

Wheel for $200 would make a good bonus puzzle, and Wheel for $400 actually has been a bonus puzzle. Shame on them for center-aligning $600, though.

Teapot Dome I remembered from Dave Barry Slept Here, just like THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF.

I was disappointed that I couldn't run the Beagle category, since I'm a huge Peanuts fan, but I just couldn't equate moon to "dirty beach".

Mount Logan could be literally anywhere in Canada for all I know. Saw no way to narrow that down, yet I found Angel Falls by far the easiest.

For some reason, I derped up the Q category. Banquet and squall eluded me because I was stuck on beginning with Q, then blanked on kumquat and tranquil. Yet somehow my brain woke back up again for "sobriquet".

Reddit Guy said that he got Midwest and Mideast mixed up on Wheel for $1,000. I had the opposite problem on the Literature DD.

Lach Trash: Kool-Aid, Joe Cool, sobriquet, Charles Addams, rotator cuff

Drama that sounds like it could be about opera, has an R in the title, R is represented by a gun. I cycled through a bunch of random operatic words, but nothing surfaced that also sounded like a TV show. It probably doesn't help that I don't file The Sopranos as a "drama" in my head. I can understand this one being only a 1/3, even if I think it's a damn good clue.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

AT's pronunciation of "Oh yeah" was just like his impression of the actors in Fargo, so my response was Faygo, which I'm pretty sure is carbonated. Anyway, that's the official soft drink of juggalos, not Nebraskans.
More Snoopy clues in the future, writers! I went 12/12 on the Peanuts 1DS and thought the $1000 clue was kind of obscure (even though I got it).
Hoping for a third lap
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:17 pm From the latest TD results posted:

JayK33

Thanks. It did take me a while, but I did get there eventually. :)

Thank goodness for morbeedo's TD and being reminded of my answer there before watching today's J! episode, otherwise I might have been 0/3.
Yay! Kudos to me!

NFC on Kool-Aid

Not a fan of Wheel of Jeopardy - was this a debut category or a reprise?

Evan struggled mightily with that signaling device and fell into the unfortunate cohort Alex described during the FJ reveal

Siobhan knows her composers, but Alex was not impressed with her pronunciation

LT: Addams, Almodóvar*, sobriquet, rotator cuff

*I recommend The Skin I Live In for all you fans of psychological horror
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

knew the kool aid clue because i knew that nugget of trivia regarding being a state beverage....the "oh yeah" part did nothing for me...i didn't realise it was the catch phrase for that brand....also don't believe it should have been in the top box...was easy for me, but by far not a top a box clue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 pm Despite what you all may think, I was actually stunned that Kool-Aid was a TS. I caught the "Oh yeah" TOM right away and had zero doubt as to what it could be.

Hannibal = elephants I learned from an early WWTBaM episode where someone missed equating Hannibal to elephants on the $100 question. That struck me as obscure at the time, because back then, $100 questions on WWTBaM were more along the lines of "Which of these is not a soft drink?" and then C would be something blatant like "gasoline".

I ran Wheel of Jeopardy! and, surprisingly, that injury category in DJ!

Wheel for $200 would make a good bonus puzzle, and Wheel for $400 actually has been a bonus puzzle. Shame on them for center-aligning $600, though.

Teapot Dome I remembered from Dave Barry Slept Here, just like THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF.

I was disappointed that I couldn't run the Beagle category, since I'm a huge Peanuts fan, but I just couldn't equate moon to "dirty beach".

Mount Logan could be literally anywhere in Canada for all I know. Saw no way to narrow that down, yet I found Angel Falls by far the easiest.

For some reason, I derped up the Q category. Banquet and squall eluded me because I was stuck on beginning with Q, then blanked on kumquat and tranquil. Yet somehow my brain woke back up again for "sobriquet".

Reddit Guy said that he got Midwest and Mideast mixed up on Wheel for $1,000. I had the opposite problem on the Literature DD.

Lach Trash: Kool-Aid, Joe Cool, sobriquet, Charles Addams, rotator cuff

Drama that sounds like it could be about opera, has an R in the title, R is represented by a gun. I cycled through a bunch of random operatic words, but nothing surfaced that also sounded like a TV show. It probably doesn't help that I don't file The Sopranos as a "drama" in my head. I can understand this one being only a 1/3, even if I think it's a damn good clue.

well there are only 3 territories in canada...so you had a 1 in 3 shot
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

shocked that only 1 contestant got that final jeopardy clue....i have never seen an episode of the show and i got it correct...i thought jeopardy contestants love their cable based tv shows
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 pm
The dish also came with a serving of a white condiment that I soon discovered was not mayonnaise. And that was the first and only time I've had horseradish. Lesson learned and not forgotten.

i ordered pork knuckles at a restaurant in prague and it came with a container on the side...i thought it was some sort of cheese...i put a bunch on my spoon and put it into my mouth...i was like...wtf!!!!!!!!! turns out it was horseradish...didn't look like the horsey sauce they give you at arby's