Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Lach Trash: Kool-Aid, rotator cuff

Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:26 pm Yes, once. It was a staff lunch (perhaps 10 or so years ago) at Benihana and my non-adventurous eating habits were well-known by my co-workers. I took a taste (a very tiny taste) off a spoon and made the appropriate face as even mustard or ketchup are more flavor than I care for on foods. Everyone got a laugh out of it and fortunately no one had their phones on video mode.
Reminds me of when I went to a Brazilian steakhouse a couple years ago. I asked for their hottest sauce. And they brought out this bright orange stuff called Devil's Tears. One, two, three, four scoops on my steak. The waiter's jaw dropped, as did those of the other three people at the table. Yes, I ate the whole thing. One of my friends even said out loud, "dude, you got brass ones."

Since then, it's been a running gag that every time I have a meal with friends at a con, I make sure to order the hottest thing on the menu.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:26 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:39 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:04 pm The dish also came with a serving of a white condiment that I soon discovered was not mayonnaise. And that was the first and only time I've had horseradish. Lesson learned and not forgotten.
Have you had wasabi since?
Yes, once. It was a staff lunch (perhaps 10 or so years ago) at Benihana and my non-adventurous eating habits were well-known by my co-workers. I took a taste (a very tiny taste) off a spoon and made the appropriate face as even mustard or ketchup are more flavor than I care for on foods. Everyone got a laugh out of it and fortunately no one had their phones on video mode.
Ahh, then you've had horseradish twice! Cause that's really all mass market wasabi is. :D
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm All this composer talk reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode where Radar is taught to pronounce Bach as "Baaah". As edgy as it was, that is one sitcom that didn't age well.
I don't know. Perhaps the problem is that those of us who have seen it have seen every single episode about five times. We'd need some M*A*S*H virgins to give an informed opinion.
I saw the series I'd say 15 years ago and it held up for the most part, IMO (there's always going to be whiffs; I'm almost finished with Frasier and there's a decent number that would just be cringefests start to finish in today's environment). I may be biased, though, in that Hawkeye Pierce is probably my drinking spirit animal, with martinis two parts gin to one part gin...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Siobhan was a tough competitor once she got the hang of the buzzer. Champ got a bit lucky IMO that only she got what I considered to be a pretty easy FJ (hey, any TV clue I get must be easy!). Good game, overall.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Never seen an ep of the Sopranos, never wanted to. Zero interest in mob stuff. Hated the Godfather and Goodfellas, well, what I could stand of 'em (about 20 minutes each)...

Also have never watched or had HBO or watched a network or syndicated rerun of an HBO show.

I may have seen that Sopranos logo somewhere sometime maybe, but it sure didn't stick in my dome. No get for me...

Maybe it would have been somewhat interesting if it actually HAD been about opera.

Oh, and because the theme was mentioned above, I found it and took a watch/listen. Ugh.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:21 am Also have never watched or had HBO or watched a network or syndicated rerun of an HBO show.
Not even The Wire?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:04 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 pm Mount Logan could be literally anywhere in Canada for all I know. Saw no way to narrow that down
"Territory"
Which is still a 1 in 3.
which eliminates the notion of "could be anywhere"...1 in 3 is pretty narrow
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I got that one right. Nunavut I actually forgot about. And I went with Yukon because the clue had "Territory" in singular form. Maybe a fluke but there it is.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm All this composer talk reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode where Radar is taught to pronounce Bach as "Baaah". As edgy as it was, that is one sitcom that didn't age well. Sort of a period piece inside a period piece. And crossdressing schtick hasn't been funny since evah!

That opening clue - I got stuck on "YooHoo" as a similar interjection, although "Yahoo" was more synonymous. But I was sure that Yoohoo is carbonated. I don't recognize the 'Oh, Yeah' as a marketing phrase. I remember the disappointment of that stuff as adults tried to push it as a substitute for pop. I thought I could hack it one time by spiking it with about a pound of sugar I think. It went from yucky to nauseating. I suppose this prepared me for the disappointment of Tang that would come later :lol:

Couple good paydays for Jessica. She could peel off a couple more. Me no chance at the FJ. Tried to think of Opera names like CaRmen that might be TV shows.
i hate that show when i was a kid...don't mind it now...though still think it is kind of shit...but not as bad as it was when i was growing up
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:21 am Never seen an ep of the Sopranos, never wanted to. Zero interest in mob stuff. Hated the Godfather and Goodfellas, well, what I could stand of 'em (about 20 minutes each)...

Also have never watched or had HBO or watched a network or syndicated rerun of an HBO show.

I may have seen that Sopranos logo somewhere sometime maybe, but it sure didn't stick in my dome. No get for me...

Maybe it would have been somewhat interesting if it actually HAD been about opera.

Oh, and because the theme was mentioned above, I found it and took a watch/listen. Ugh.

same with me...not a fan of cable tv originals.(outside of some disney channel shows..the new leave it to beaver, liv and maddie, good luck charlie, etc)..the only hbo show i have seen was a football based show called "1st and 10"...was one of hbo's first produced shows
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:34 am
Rackme32 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:21 am Also have never watched or had HBO or watched a network or syndicated rerun of an HBO show.
Not even The Wire?
have never seen that show either, but did get the jeopardy clue right to which it was a response in recent weeks
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm All this composer talk reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode where Radar is taught to pronounce Bach as "Baaah". As edgy as it was, that is one sitcom that didn't age well.
I don't know. Perhaps the problem is that those of us who have seen it have seen every single episode about five times. We'd need some M*A*S*H virgins to give an informed opinion.
I saw several over the holiday break at the house of a relative who's a committed fan. I don't care so much about it but it's never embarrassing (unlike, say, the reruns of 2 and a Half Men that were also on offer, and no, not even Klinger's antics).
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:38 pm I ran Wheel of Jeopardy! and, surprisingly, that injury category in DJ!
NHO Wheel Of Jeopardy.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm All this composer talk reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode where Radar is taught to pronounce Bach as "Baaah". As edgy as it was, that is one sitcom that didn't age well. Sort of a period piece inside a period piece.
Well, I can't disagree more. We've both seen each episode numerous times long ago, and have been watching it every now and then lately. They all still hold up really well.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:40 pm shocked that only 1 contestant got that final jeopardy clue....i have never seen an episode of the show and i got it correct...i thought jeopardy contestants love their cable based tv shows
Ditto. I have also never seen an episode. But how's this for TOM? 1) TV drama + 2) guns involved + 3) title includes a letter "R" and 4) name COULD make you think about opera. Maybe that's not as painfully obvious as some clues that have been figured out by many of us here from time to time, but it was plenty to lead me to the correct answer with 25 seconds to spare.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm Three out of the five composers got pronounced incorrectly. Wagner with w sound rather than a v, Verdi with the first syllable rhyming with fur rather than fair, and Haydn to rhyme with maiden rather than Biden. So of course Alex only asks for a repeat on one response in the category--the correctly pronounced Mendelssohn. For the sake of completeness, we'll note that the remaining response was Brahms, also pronounced correctly.
Yeah, that was hard to listen to.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Congrats to Jessica on a second really fine win.

At my house? LT on Joe Cool, moon (magnificent desolation), sobriquet, (the) Addams (family), and rotator cuff, plus instaget FJ to go 3-for-3 this week. :mrgreen:

Good to see that Evan was able to dig himself out of a bad hole, but too bad it wasn't enough to move him into serious contention.

The "Snoopy" stuff is still fresh in mind, as the Cleveland Plain Dealer still publishes Peanuts cartoons, now nearly 20 years after Schulz's demise.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:24 pm All this composer talk reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode where Radar is taught to pronounce Bach as "Baaah". As edgy as it was, that is one sitcom that didn't age well. Sort of a period piece inside a period piece. And crossdressing schtick hasn't been funny since evah!

Mmm, Bach...

That's highly significant!

I'm partial to the fugue!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Squall, Trigger Finger, and Long Haul were my only misses.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Kool-Aid, Horseradish, Sister Carrie, Joe Cool, Moon, Sobriquet, Pedro Almodovar, Charles Addams, Rotator Cuff
Douglas Squasoni
earendel

Post by earendel »

Euphonium wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 am

Mmm, Bach...
Actually, it's "Ahhhh, Bach".
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."