Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:02 am
Woof wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:32 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:33 pm I knew every question from today's game.

Muffy's brother was the contestant today. He made it all the way to the $30,000 question with all three lifelines.

The question was which is not one of the grapes used in champagne.

Thanks to my long surfs on the Archive, I know that Zinfandel is a California grape.

Peter first used the 50-50, and it narrowed it down to Meurier and Zinfandel. Peter said he was leaning towards Meurier. A moment later, he asked the audience. 69% Meurier, 31% Zinfandel. A three-peat audience fail. There is a good chance that Muffy would have known the answer.
Just a quibble: it's Meunier, not Meurier.
Another quibble: Zinfandel is not a California grape. It was imported. I would probably have gotten it, since Zinfandel is the only one that doesn't sound French. And the French are very picky about their wines.
I would argue that Zin is a Californian grape since elsewhere it’s referred to as Primitivo (Italy) and Tribidrag (Croatia). The story of how it came to CA and got its new name is detailed in a very entertaining book “Angel’s Visits” by David Darlington, now a tad dated, alas.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

$10,000 Question

Peter: This one is a little bit tougher for me.

Me: This is easy!

Mozart 1756-1791
Basketball Invented 1891
Pilgrims Land at Plymouth Rock 1620
Wright Brothers 1903
Declaration of Independence 1776
Douglas Squasoni
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:29 pm $10,000 Question

Peter: This one is a little bit tougher for me.

Me: This is easy!

Mozart 1756-1791
Basketball Invented 1891
Pilgrims Land at Plymouth Rock 1620
Wright Brothers 1903
Declaration of Independence 1776
I knew it thanks to the late Falco (remember him?)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

For $10,000 today, a contestant had to name the disputed region between India and Pakistan. (The choices were Bhutan, Kashmir, Kathmandu, and Hindu Kush.) That seems way easier to me than what car model Oprah gave away.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 pm For $10,000 today, a contestant had to name the disputed region between India and Pakistan. (The choices were Bhutan, Kashmir, Kathmandu, and Hindu Kush.) That seems way easier to me than what car model Oprah gave away.
way easier....never heard of hindu kush...thought it was some sort of drug strain
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:33 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:03 pm For $10,000 today, a contestant had to name the disputed region between India and Pakistan. (The choices were Bhutan, Kashmir, Kathmandu, and Hindu Kush.) That seems way easier to me than what car model Oprah gave away.
way easier....never heard of hindu kush...thought it was some sort of drug strain
It is a strain of weed...but the Hindu Kush region is where it gets its name.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The first question only from today's (Thursday) 12/13 show:
Spoiler
What happened and comments:
Spoiler
Tod used his last lifeline to call down his nephew.  Between them they worked out that Vanna White was the best guess.  Yes, Tod kept playing.

I think there are a lot of Millionaire players that wish this had been their $20K question instead of some more brutal ones they saw.  Tod made a production out of it making it take up the first segment of the show.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:06 pm The first question only from today's (Thursday) 12/13 show:
Spoiler
What happened and comments:
Spoiler
Tod used his last lifeline to call down his nephew.  Between them they worked out that Vanna White was the best guess.  Yes, Tod kept playing.

I think there are a lot of Millionaire players that wish this had been their $20K question instead of some more brutal ones they saw.  Tod made a production out of it making it take up the first segment of the show.
First segment? Geez, that would have taken me 10 seconds.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Millionaire will be in reruns 12/17 - 12/21 & 12/24 - 12/28 for sure and I would expect 12/30 - 1/4/19 as well. These three weeks (The B games) were shown in double run markets to open the season. For those areas that only get one game a day these shows will be new and first run.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm Millionaire will be in reruns 12/17 - 12/21 & 12/24 - 12/28 for sure and I would expect 12/30 - 1/4/19 as well. These three weeks (The B games) were shown in double run markets to open the season. For those areas that only get one game a day these shows will be new and first run.
About time!

My episodes run in prime for the first time Dec 18/19, and you'll see me again as a Plus One on Christmas Day. Someone from publicity suggested they might even me again in some markets on January 8/9, so ... wait till you get a load of me.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

acthomas wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:43 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:16 pm Millionaire will be in reruns 12/17 - 12/21 & 12/24 - 12/28 for sure and I would expect 12/30 - 1/4/19 as well. These three weeks (The B games) were shown in double run markets to open the season. For those areas that only get one game a day these shows will be new and first run.
About time!

My episodes run in prime for the first time Dec 18/19, and you'll see me again as a Plus One on Christmas Day. Someone from publicity suggested they might even me again in some markets on January 8/9, so ... wait till you get a load of me.
Does that mean you get paid twice? My ep. aired 4 weeks ago and still no check the check arrived today :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Millionaire is back with new episodes. Right off the bat was a familiar face with Gail Ansheles: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11374

The most interesting question Gail saw:
Spoiler
More about it including other spoilers:
Spoiler
Gail was going for $30,000.

Gail guessed AK-47 and left with $5,000 and her +1: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11382 unused.

The correct answer was B: Grenade as Mozambique has an AK-47 on its flag.

The next player, Andy Hoang, is some kind of Scrabble champ who appeared on Jimmy Kimmel when he was 11.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:12 pm Millionaire is back with new episodes. Right off the bat was a familiar face with Gail Ansheles: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11374

The most interesting question Gail saw:
Spoiler
More about it including other spoilers:
Spoiler
Gail was going for $30,000.

Gail guessed AK-47 and left with $5,000 and her +1: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11382 unused.

The correct answer was B: Grenade as Mozambique has an AK-47 on its flag.

The next player, Andy Hoang, is some kind of Scrabble champ who appeared on Jimmy Kimmel when he was 11.
IMO, that was a pretty easy question for that valuation. Almost an instaget, though of course there's the obvious confusion that might arise from the name of
Spoiler
Grenada
:mrgreen:
LucarioSnooperVixey

No way was I missing the $10,000 Question today.

Which two historical figures met at the court of Cesare Borgia? The answer being Leonardo da Vinci & Niccolo Machiavelli.

For Andy, Christopher Columbus died in 1506 and William Shakespeare was born in 1564.

For Margaret, Andy's +1, that pope who was part of the Borgia family was Pope Alexander VI.

I remember they had a question about Marlin from "Finding Nemo" changing gender in real life after his wife Coral's death I believe in Cedric's season.

The funny thing was, I knew the $5000 question from Lewis Hamilton rather than Scott Hamilton.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today's episode is one to share the video (thumbnail is a full spoiler!):
Spoiler
Spoiling comments:
Spoiler
Mike Chearney named 8! He had it!

Brooke Fleming is not in the Archive. [sarcastic] Gee, what a surprise. She did what so many would not do with lifelines exhausted. That was some outfit to wear on a game show.

Neville Fogarty: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=2561 was a no-doubter for being the Archive. His play on the $10K Q was great. The $20K was my kind of gift with the numbers for all four choices locks with 100% certainty.
ETA: Sorry on the thumbnail as that is not what showed for me when I first posted the video. Google can do so much, but they can't give the user control over something that matters.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey

I knew Brooke's $5000 question because I recalled a $2000 clue from this episode: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5891

Another thing is, Neville Fogarty's +1 is Brandon Saunders.

Prior to Neville, there have been six contestants this week. None of them left with more than $5000. It is up to Neville to turn things around.

I have been doing really well this week. Looney Bin being my only miss so far.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, that episode certainly was ... different. Man, I felt bad for Mike. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

And Brooke ... yeah, I'm not sure I've seen anyone walk that low in a while.

Neville is doing exactly what I would expect Neville to be doing. Looking forward to tomorrow! And yeah, I answered Ghana just as quickly, and didn't have to even think about the white keys to land on Joltin' Joe. Come to think of it, nobody has come anywhere close in recent years. There used to be at least a streak in the 40s every other year or so, but I don't remember any long ones recently.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 pm Well, that episode certainly was ... different.

There used to be at least a streak in the 40s every other year or so, but I don't remember any long ones recently.
Jackie Bradley got up to 29 or 30 a couple years back for my Red Sox, and I remember Jimmy Rollins' 38 game streak between the end of 2005 and start of 2006. Surprisingly, that appears to be the longest streak in at least the last ~30 years.

Certainly a strange episode indeed. Thought Brooke's 5k was rather difficult in that spot. I admittedly did not know it either, at least without aid of a lifeline. Neville has been awesome to watch, looking forward to seeing the rest of his game.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That capitals question was the perfect time to methodically work your way across the map and figure it out, rather than bounce around and get mixed up. I thought he might blunder into the right answer by double counting one of the "City"s he called out first, but instead he second-guessed himself out of the cash. Ouch.

If you had asked me whether it would take longer for a WWTBAM contestant to identify an African country, or figure out which of white keys/playing cards/weeks/DiMaggio's streak wasn't 52, I'd have bet the farm on the former and lost my shirt. I wonder if he just knew what the Gold Coast is called today (like me), or if he knew the other three countries aren't anywhere near Cote D'Ivoire.
Golf

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 pm There used to be at least a streak in the 40s every other year or so, but I don't remember any long ones recently.
Pete Rose got to 44, that's the only streak of 40+ since Joltin' Joe.

He obviously rushed on the state capital answer and it cost him. Thought the contestant used impeccable logic to figure out the white keys.