Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 pm That capitals question was the perfect time to methodically work your way across the map and figure it out, rather than bounce around and get mixed up.
That's what I did, but I still only got to 8 (missed Des Moines), but at least that would have been enough to make me realize I missed one.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:06 pm
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:54 pm That capitals question was the perfect time to methodically work your way across the map and figure it out, rather than bounce around and get mixed up.
That's what I did, but I still only got to 8 (missed Des Moines), but at least that would have been enough to make me realize I missed one.
After reading this post, I went back a page and the still now shows the question (I couldn't see the clip in full and the still was something else at the time and had no clue what people were talking about). So I went and counted them out myself... and I missed Des Moines. This does not speak well of Des Moines.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm glad I didn't get that type of question, even though I could easily work through it. I would just hate to stand there going through all 50 (or at least until I hit 8 capitals).

Back when I was good at probability, I tried to calculate the odds of a .300 hitter getting a 56 game streak. IIRC, the odds, while low, weren't all that ridiculous from a strictly random standpoint.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 pm I'm glad I didn't get that type of question, even though I could easily work through it. I would just hate to stand there going through all 50 (or at least until I hit 8 capitals).

Back when I was good at probability, I tried to calculate the odds of a .300 hitter getting a 56 game streak. IIRC, the odds, while low, weren't all that ridiculous from a strictly random standpoint.
About 1-in-4.7 million, if I did the math right (assuming 4 ABs per game).
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Golf wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:04 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 pm There used to be at least a streak in the 40s every other year or so, but I don't remember any long ones recently.
Pete Rose got to 44, that's the only streak of 40+ since Joltin' Joe.
I was gonna say, I know Andy is old but surely you weren't around in the 1890s, were you? Your "every other year" is once in nearly 80, curious...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:03 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:28 pm I'm glad I didn't get that type of question, even though I could easily work through it. I would just hate to stand there going through all 50 (or at least until I hit 8 capitals).

About 1-in-4.7 million, if I did the math right (assuming 4 ABs per game).
But shouldn't these odds be improved by considering that each time a .300 hitter gets a hit, you have a new trial? If they get 3000 hits in their career (rare air, indeed), then you are down to about one in 1500 for a players entire career. Still ridiculous, but on an individual career year, if there's 20 hitters per year, there's 4000 shots at starting the streak each year, still leaves at one in a thousand. I think there are other loopholes that may bring this down as low as one in 100, e.g.all those .280 hitters do have a statistical shot, and the .320 hitters have higher odds so the pool of candidates is way more than 20.

I haven't seen stats in forever, I remember when there was ONE .300 hitter in 1968 - Yaz by the skin of his teeth at .301. That year, five NL players broke .300, led by should-be-Hall-of-Famer Pete Rose at .335. This decade is averaging 23ish .300 hitters in MLB, compared to over 40 the last couple of decades. IMHO, to become watchable again, PED's should be mandatory and pitchers should have to stay in the game until they give up a baserunner :lol: .

Still, whether it grinds to one in 20 or one in 50, the 56 game streak is still very impressive but over half of the best players in the nation were not invited to play with the white men. And thanks to the reserve clause, the majority of players had to work other jobs in the off season and did not have the training and conditioning of modern era players. I think Rose's 44 game streak against Negroes (historical sarcasm) and Latin American players is more impressive.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The video for the rest of Neville's run. At this point just expect the thumbnail to be a spoiler that matters. Whether medium, short or long the length of the video itself will be a spoiler.
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler
It's rare I can get a $30K Q without even needing to see the choices.
Getting $50K was a matter of timing as yesterday I would not have got it right.
Neville left with all lifelines remaining. Ouch, as I thought today was going to have at least one 6-figure Q revealed.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:13 pm The video for the rest of Neville's run. At this point just expect the thumbnail to be a spoiler that matters. Whether medium, short or long the length of the video itself will be a spoiler.
Spoiler
Comments:
Spoiler
It's rare I can get a $30K Q without even needing to see the choices.
Getting $50K was a matter of timing as yesterday I would not have got it right.
Neville left with all lifelines remaining. Ouch, as I thought today was going to have at least one 6-figure Q revealed.
Spoiler
Not only got the $30k without the choices, but the $50k without the choices as well. That was tough to watch. 6/8 +1's this week unused.
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Spoiler
Shocking end to Neville’s run. Likewise I got the $30K before the answers were revealed. What a cupcake of a $30K question! I wish we’d seen that on our appearance. For the $50K I was able to reason it out. I knew he wasn’t a DDS and was also quite sure he wasn’t a shrink. Pediatrics also didn’t comport with the story of his writing during the hours his waiting room went unfilled. I really can’t believe that Neville didn’t use his 50/50 before guessing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The only thing that threw me was that 'barred' was missing, otherwise that was an instaget. And looking it up quickly, some sources say there are four main types. I was leaning correctly on Doyle, but not totally confident. Same with the store in Canada.

Yup, I thought Neville was walking out of there with a bundle, and was sorry to see otherwise.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Too bad for Neville, but that was good TV at least. I have no problem with that decision, though I'm not sure I would have done the same in his shoes. Can't play for big money if you can't get there first!

Personally liked Heather's set of questions playing along from home, I would have gotten each without lifelines. Her $30K was somewhat similar to this Final from 2015. Helped that I also watched a video a while back about why their Canada venture failed.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Golf

Post by Golf »

threearruda wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:50 am I have no problem with that decision, though I'm not sure I would have done the same in his shoes. Can't play for big money if you can't get there first!
Can't play for big money if you miss a milestone question while leaving all LL's on the table either.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

threearruda wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:31 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 pm Well, that episode certainly was ... different.

There used to be at least a streak in the 40s every other year or so, but I don't remember any long ones recently.
Jackie Bradley got up to 29 or 30 a couple years back for my Red Sox, and I remember Jimmy Rollins' 38 game streak between the end of 2005 and start of 2006. Surprisingly, that appears to be the longest streak in at least the last ~30 years.

Certainly a strange episode indeed. Thought Brooke's 5k was rather difficult in that spot. I admittedly did not know it either, at least without aid of a lifeline. Neville has been awesome to watch, looking forward to seeing the rest of his game.
i agree with that 5k clue...no idea who those people are and no idea how that was a question to get to 5k....naming the last 2 british people to be executed for sodomy would have been easier than that and no way that would be a 5k question either
davey

Post by davey »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:42 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:18 pm Well, that episode certainly was ... different.

There used to be at least a streak in the 40s every other year or so, but I don't remember any long ones recently.
Jackie Bradley got up to 29 or 30 a couple years back for my Red Sox, and I remember Jimmy Rollins' 38 game streak between the end of 2005 and start of 2006. Surprisingly, that appears to be the longest streak in at least the last ~30 years.

Certainly a strange episode indeed. Thought Brooke's 5k was rather difficult in that spot. I admittedly did not know it either, at least without aid of a lifeline. Neville has been awesome to watch, looking forward to seeing the rest of his game.
i agree with that 5k clue...no idea who those people are and no idea how that was a question to get to 5k....naming the last 2 british people to be executed for sodomy would have been easier than that and no way that would be a 5k question either
Jeopardy! valued that knowledge at $2000 about a year ago...contestant got it too. They are written about for art collecting as well as their business.
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ht=saatchi
Last edited by davey on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:40 pm

Jeopardy! valued that knowledge at $2000 about a year ago...contestant got it too. They are written about for art collecting as well as their business.
Wouldn't say that's $5k level though. $50k, I'd accept with a sideeye, but $100k on, fair game.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Wouldn't say that's $5k level though. $50k, I'd accept with a sideeye, but $100k on, fair game.
totally agree..definitely not a question to get to the first threshold
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:40 pm Jeopardy! valued that knowledge at $2000 about a year ago...contestant got it too. They are written about for art collecting as well as their business.
Did you not see my post on the previous page?
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

Personally, I've known their last name in both advertising and art for decades. I'd be willing to jack up the value for a question asking for their first names...
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:02 pm
davey wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:40 pm Jeopardy! valued that knowledge at $2000 about a year ago...contestant got it too. They are written about for art collecting as well as their business.
Did you not see my post on the previous page?
Apparently not, sorry. It bears reinforcement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:04 pm

Personally, I've known their last name in both advertising and art for decades. I'd be willing to jack up the value for a question asking for their first names...
as i have in regards to the british pair of pratt and smith...doesn't mean it warrants being a first threshold question