Thursday, January 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Thursday, January 10, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am The headshake at young people today was crickets heard for Fibber McGee’s partner. The Christie play also going TS surprised me more as that appeared in a clue last season. Watch the show people. It helps.
I have zero idea how 'Fibber McGee' triggered 'Molly' in my brain. Seriously. None. And yet I picked it up... :shock:
I do remember how I met F.M & M.

In the mid '70's, when I lived near St. Louis, there was a radio host who on Saturday mornings would play segments of the old radio shows.
OCSam
blueoncemoon
Contributor

Post by blueoncemoon »

I am surprised that there are Jeopardy! fans who've never heard of Fibber McGee and Molly.https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... 180949815/
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 am
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am The headshake at young people today was crickets heard for Fibber McGee’s partner. The Christie play also going TS surprised me more as that appeared in a clue last season. Watch the show people. It helps.
I have zero idea how 'Fibber McGee' triggered 'Molly' in my brain. Seriously. None. And yet I picked it up... :shock:
I do remember how I met F.M & M.

In the mid '70's, when I lived near St. Louis, there was a radio host who on Saturday mornings would play segments of the old radio shows.
I got it only from old trivia like Trivial Pursuit, that has lots of old-timey radio questions. Never actually heard the radio show.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:44 am
Volante wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:06 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:43 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm I have zero idea how 'Fibber McGee' triggered 'Molly' in my brain. Seriously. None. And yet I picked it up... :shock:
But on the show, would you have rung in? Or would you have stood there wondering why your brain was saying "Molly"?
I think I would've gone for it. It wasn't a vague association either, but the sort that makes you blurt "Costello" if someone spots you "Abbott and"
And it actually scares me a little that I have zero inkling where that link came from. Best guess is MST3K since they love those 1%er references, but that guess has a confidence percentage I -wouldn't- ring in on.
You're not a fan of the '90s TV show NewsRadio by any chance? Fibber McGee and Molly figured in one of the episodes.
Haven't seen a single ep. of it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am The headshake at young people today was crickets heard for Fibber McGee’s partner.
Exactly right. Now let's go yell at some young people to get off the lawn.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 am

The FJ! category had me eliminate the place that showed up on December 18th. I then told myself, “They wouldn’t do [the correct response], would they?” Yeah they would. I stared at my correct response written and spent think time making sure it was not some kind of trap as sometimes something so obvious and easy makes doubt increase.

Jessica won the J! round and Anneke won the DJ! round. Hmmm, which one is more important? Jessica did not play well once she got into a trailing position as Anneke's +$4000 on DD3 sent her soaring.
i am a geezer (45) and i never heard of that show before
No, no, Grasshopper. We mean "oooooollllllldddddddd!"
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

New contestant Dave was a retired MMA fighter, but today Anneke's kung fu was stronger.

Did OK in this game: 41 right, instaget FJ, Coryat over $31K.

I wonder if "The Mousetrap" is in the public domain now, or whether troupes still have to pay royalties. Naaahhh. Surely not after all this time.

Congrats to the new champ. Sorry to see Jessica go, though. And for once the second-place player bet it all in FJ and it was exactly the right thing to do.

Now let's see if I can score another elusive 5-for-5 FJ week tonight.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm And for once the second-place player bet it all in FJ and it was exactly the right thing to do.
In today's tiebreaker era, I'll take the other side of this debate and say "No way, bet $0, a leader is more likely than not to tack on the extra dollar these days".
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Only missing Molly, The Looming Tower, Pop Culture 2018 $2000, and Lone Word)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Amherst, (Carnegie Mellon), Nonce, University of Chicago, Princeton, El Dorado, The Carters, Edward Albee, The Mousetrap

The Mousetrap a stumper?!?!? :shock:

My favorite celebrity, Stephen Fry, was mentioned in a clue today. :D
Douglas Squasoni
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

blueoncemoon wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:26 am I am surprised that there are Jeopardy! fans who've never heard of Fibber McGee and Molly.https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cul ... 180949815/
This. 79 Wistful Vista (What is Fibber McGee and Molly's address?) is literally the second-ever Jeopardy! clue devised.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

We saw a production of "The Mousetrap" in Toronto, so that was an instaget.

I recently read about Jose Marti, who lived in the second half of the 19th century. He was a both a poet--probably best known for "Guantanamera"--and a Cuban revolutionary. Marti spent the last 15 years of his life in New York City, which led me to the Statue of Liberty.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:07 am

The FJ! category had me eliminate the place that showed up on December 18th. I then told myself, “They wouldn’t do [the correct response], would they?” Yeah they would. I stared at my correct response written and spent think time making sure it was not some kind of trap as sometimes something so obvious and easy makes doubt increase.

Jessica won the J! round and Anneke won the DJ! round. Hmmm, which one is more important? Jessica did not play well once she got into a trailing position as Anneke's +$4000 on DD3 sent her soaring.
i am a geezer (45) and i never heard of that show before
Since when is 45 a geezer? Nay, I say.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

40 years old, in the pool, pop culture student, former novelty radio DJ, and somehow Fibber McGee and Molly has never been on my radar.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 pm No guess on FJ! Literally nothing seemed to fit.
For me the immigrant hint connected it with Emma Lazarus' poem "The New Colossus" which is engraved on the base of the statue.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
davey

Post by davey »

Is there anybody here who can say they listened to Fibber McGee and Molly in first run? If age has anything to do with the response, it's mostly because old radio nostalgia was a phenomenon when we were growing up, not because we were around when FM&M was a radio sensation...I thought somebody should point that out... ;)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I am also extremely old (26) and I've never heard of them.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was wondering if the 10 Lines About 5 Women category was inspired by 88 Lines About 44 Women.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:22 am I was wondering if the 10 Lines About 5 Women category was inspired by 88 Lines About 44 Women.
Could be! I haven't thought about that song in a long time. A high school friend of mine played it a lot and I have to say I wasn't a fan.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Can anybody explain why the incorrect response of "Bey-Z" has gone viral on Twitter? Between not listening to bad music and the multitude of cutesy celebrity couple portmanteaux, that was certainly my first instinct. I wouldn't have buzzed in, but still.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

RJRouge wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:02 pm Can anybody explain why the incorrect response of "Bey-Z" has gone viral on Twitter? Between not listening to bad music and the multitude of cutesy celebrity couple portmanteaux, that was certainly my first instinct. I wouldn't have buzzed in, but still.
I don't twit, but the clickbait shows up on my Google New page and claims it is viral (worst answer ever on Jeopardy). I just assume that tweeters must know a lot more about celebs than I do. I didn't even connect the dots that her answer involved Beyonce and Jay Z and I didn't remember that they are a couple. We aren't the cool kids, that's all. :geek:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.