LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by SBurrus »

I joined the Rock and Roll mini...and thought I knew a lot about the genre but these questions are hard! I am learning a lot, though, which is always a good thing.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

[rant]OK, if you enter a rock and roll mini league you should know Alan Freed is the person credited with coming up with the term.[/rant]

I was just slightly surprised only 39% got that question right yesterday. Also it had the day's second highest defensive assignment with 1.8.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 pm [rant]OK, if you enter a rock and roll mini league you should know Alan Freed is the person credited with coming up with the term.[/rant]

I was just slightly surprised only 39% got that question right yesterday. Also it had the day's second highest defensive assignment with 1.8.
That was the only one I got and gave me the win... 3(1) to 1(2). Strangely, his grave was -not- marked on the map I picked at Lake View Cemetery.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:08 pm [rant]OK, if you enter a rock and roll mini league you should know Alan Freed is the person credited with coming up with the term.[/rant]
Were I playing, I would have zero'd that with no thought about it.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:44 pm
Were I playing, I would have zero'd that with no thought about it.
I'm not playing either, but with hardly a doubt regarding zeroing it. I've been following the ML and have known a grand total of 4 answers in the first 3 days..... possibly a fifth if I gave the Ike Turner question more thought.

I figured for sure that The Runaways would show up on the quiz, given that FuchsJ (a.k.a. Jackie Fox) was one of the contributors.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:33 pm I've been following the ML and have known a grand total of 4 answers in the first 3 days.....
That's exactly my total (Runaways, Honeydrippers, Syd Barrett, Freed).
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame the weekend after Thanksgiving. There was an entire room devoted to Alan Freed (whose career, sadly, went up in flames thanks to the payola scandal).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:46 pm
RandyG wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:33 pm I've been following the ML and have known a grand total of 4 answers in the first 3 days.....
Runaways, Chinese Democracy, Freed is my running list. It's been...sobering.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I actually pulled a six-pack on match day 2. I've gotten 13 right in the first three days, so I don't think it's been overly difficult.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I've been enjoying following the R&R ML thus far, as well. I feel I'd have done pretty well if I'd signed up. I did talk myself out of one correct answer I'm kicking myself for:

"I remember Green Jello having that legal dispute... nah, no way Maynard was in that band..."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

RJRouge wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 pm I've been enjoying following the R&R ML thus far, as well. I feel I'd have done pretty well if I'd signed up. I did talk myself out of one correct answer I'm kicking myself for:

"I remember Green Jello having that legal dispute... nah, no way Maynard was in that band..."
It would have been funny if instead of "no way," you'd said "not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin."
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:40 pm
RJRouge wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 pm I've been enjoying following the R&R ML thus far, as well. I feel I'd have done pretty well if I'd signed up. I did talk myself out of one correct answer I'm kicking myself for:

It would have been funny if instead of "no way," you'd said "not by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin."
Well, that ship sailed.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:13 pm
econgator wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:46 pm
Runaways, Chinese Democracy, Freed is my running list. It's been...sobering.
I'm playing this ML since I thought I knew things about Rock and Roll. Wow, it's been super humbling. Through 3 days, I've got 3 right and all were somewhat educated guesses (Bass players, Iron Maiden, and Metallica). I didn't know the name Chinese Democracy but knew it was the Guns N Roses album and couldn't remember Runaways even though I had just read about her story. Chrissie Hynde was one I could've gotten right also but I went with Stevie Nicks...
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

RJRouge wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 pm "I remember Green Jello having that legal dispute... nah, no way Maynard was in that band..."
Everyone was in that band. A guy I used to work with was in that band.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

classicroadster wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 am Chrissie Hynde was one I could've gotten right also but I went with Stevie Nicks...
You aren't the person who started that Kosman Koin thread that began with this, are you?
Mine has Chrissy Hynde on one side and Stevie Nicks on the other. Not that I can tell the difference.
My hunch is Chrissie Hynde would be appalled that she gets confused with Stevie Nicks. The Pretenders were a hard-driving rock band; Stevie Nicks-era Fleetwood Mac (roughly 1976-90) were much more pop-oriented, and sold a LOT more albums. By the mid-'80s, at least in my opinion, Nicks' public persona was verging on self-parody.

Also, Chloe Webb's line in Sid and Nancy wouldn't have made sense if she'd squawked "I look like f---ing Chrissie Hynde in hippie clothes!"
In and out of the pool four times
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

reddpen wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 am
classicroadster wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 am Chrissie Hynde was one I could've gotten right also but I went with Stevie Nicks...
You aren't the person who started that Kosman Koin thread that began with this, are you?
Mine has Chrissy Hynde on one side and Stevie Nicks on the other. Not that I can tell the difference.
My hunch is Chrissie Hynde would be appalled that she gets confused with Stevie Nicks. The Pretenders were a hard-driving rock band; Stevie Nicks-era Fleetwood Mac (roughly 1976-90) were much more pop-oriented, and sold a LOT more albums. By the mid-'80s, at least in my opinion, Nicks' public persona was verging on self-parody.

Also, Chloe Webb's line in Sid and Nancy wouldn't have made sense if she'd squawked "I look like f---ing Chrissie Hynde in hippie clothes!"
Yeah, Stevie Nicks singing 'Tattooed Love Boys' or 'Precious'...not in this universe.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, what did the Violent Femmes have to do with Ireland? I still can't figure it out.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I knew from the sample questions that the France minileague was going to be tough... but ooh la la.

Not so proud of my 0(1) - 1(1) loss, but I'm not alone. Check out some of the groups, like group 1: https://learnedleague.com/mini/france/i ... p?mltabs=0
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:21 am I knew from the sample questions that the France minileague was going to be tough... but ooh la la.

Not so proud of my 0(1) - 1(1) loss, but I'm not alone. Check out some of the groups, like group 1: https://learnedleague.com/mini/france/i ... p?mltabs=0
So the only one with more than 1 TCA is someone with a French-sounding name with 5 TCA. Yeah, I was interested in this one, saw the sample questions, and opted out.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

reddpen wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 am

Nah, that wasn't me. Its not that I get them confused for any other reason than they both were lead singers of 70's rock bands which may or may not have had British members other than the lead singer. I'm not sure I could pick Chrissie Hynde out of a photo lineup but I do know she was the lead singer of the Pretenders.
Another 0-fer for me on MD4, although I recognized the System of a Down singers voice and was singing Chop Suey all morning trying to come up with their name...ALso knew Dexter Holland from the Offspring but did not recognize the other lead singers name. I always get the causes of death of Skynrd and the Allman Brothers confused and you can guess which one I put down.