The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:25 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 pm sense of accomplishment when I get clues right, and if I get them wrong, it's either "that's a way I can better myself" or "welp, I hope that one doesn't repeat when I get on."
"Yay! I did a thing! I r smert"
What do you get out of repeatedly expressing ignorance on topics, then?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 pm sense of accomplishment when I get clues right, and if I get them wrong, it's either "that's a way I can better myself" or "welp, I hope that one doesn't repeat when I get on."
Well, I never seemed any better off when I was getting stuff right...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:32 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:27 pm
Well, I never seemed any better off when I was getting stuff right...
Then maybe it's just not your thing. I stopped doing TDs long ago: I'd stress out, overthink, and my best laid plans were gnawed to shreds in the end anyway. I couldn't take it, they simply weren't fun for me and you can't force fun.

It's one thing if you're getting paid, but if you're willingly doing for free something that only makes you miserable...maybe...well...don't?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Me: "Oh hey, HQ Words. I'll try that. It's just like the Toss-Up rounds on Wheel."

I've only gotten to 10 words once. I once struck out on the FIRST WORD of a game because I had a brain fart on a six-letter toy beginning with S.

Today I had another brain fart and couldn't think of a spice beginning with C. Tried guessing E, thinking it was Cayenne. Nope, no E. T? R? Nope, I'm struck out, what was -- CINNAMON IS A SPICE?!?!

Why am I derping up something I should be good at?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm CINNAMON IS A SPICE?!?!
As opposed to a ...?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I won tonight, and my nephew was with me, playing on his phone. Seven cents for each of us!
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

They really need to split the prize money more evenly. This "Fastest 3" thing has to go. It's the only way to be fair to people who have spotty connections.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

RJRouge wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:32 am It's the only way to be fair to people who aren't bots.
FTFY
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:00 am
RJRouge wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:32 am It's the only way to be fair to people who aren't bots.
FTFY
I try to keep things more genteel on these boards, but since you brought it up, let's go with that. I certainly won't argue.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

RJRouge wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:05 am I try to keep things more genteel on these boards, but since you brought it up, let's go with that. I certainly won't argue.
The problem isn't as much that bots exist.

The problem is that HQ Words, by including such a bonus in its game, incentivizes the creating of bots, as there's more of a financial reward to doing so, at the expense of non-botting players.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:02 pm
As opposed to a ...?
I dunno, plant? Bark? "Spice" to me conveys something of a more savory/spicy bent, like chilis, mustard seed, peppercorn, etc. I almost always encounter cinnamon in sweets such as cinnamon rolls. Just like I've never considered Doritos "tortilla chips" because they're seasoned -- to me, they were just always kind of their own thing. Or how I've never considered Hot Pockets to be anything other than, well, Hot Pockets. They're not sandwiches, at the least.

Apparently semantics are killing me. I didn't consider The Sopranos[/i ]a drama, Freud a doctor, or cinnamon a spice.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:34 am
RJRouge wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:05 am I try to keep things more genteel on these boards, but since you brought it up, let's go with that. I certainly won't argue.
The problem isn't as much that bots exist.

The problem is that HQ Words, by including such a bonus in its game, incentivizes the creating of bots, as there's more of a financial reward to doing so, at the expense of non-botting players.
Having a cash prize at all incentivizes bots, in my opinion. One of the two $100,000 winners from past big HQ games only has another $3 on top of it, and I find that extremely suspicious.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 pm
As opposed to a ...?
I dunno, plant? Bark?
Well, actually, cinnamon is taken from the bark of a tree.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:24 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:03 pm
As opposed to a ...?
I dunno, plant? Bark?
Well, actually, cinnamon is taken from the bark of a tree.
My point is, it's not stored in my brain as a "spice". And I find that far too often, "Not stored in my brain as X" is what trips me up on both HQ Words and J!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Have at it as I'm ready with my Kevlar.

Willy Brandt is German. Pick Germany, East Germany or West Germany. He's a famous leader and J! players will/should have some familiarity. Ostpolitik gives you Ost=East for the extra hint. No crime if $800 or $1200 while the player result shows top box works as well.

A diagram of the body matching with this field is going to be anatomy. It's as simple as that.

There is a lot of noise, but "The Nanny" is Fran Drescher. It's a well-known TV show. She is memorable in the role. Top box fine.

FJ! clue: It has been more than six months, so I understand:
#7775, aired 2018-06-01 HISTORIC "P"LACES $800: From 1790 to 1808 the location of the wanted men who had settled this Pacific island was unknown to the world
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pm Willy Brandt is German. Pick Germany, East Germany or West Germany. He's a famous leader and J! players will/should have some familiarity. Ostpolitik gives you Ost=East for the extra hint. No crime if $800 or $1200 while the player result shows top box works as well.
I just said "Germany" on that one. I'm assuming it wouldn't have been accepted? Or I'd have gotten a "be more specific"?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pm Willy Brandt is German. Pick Germany, East Germany or West Germany. He's a famous leader and J! players will/should have some familiarity. Ostpolitik gives you Ost=East for the extra hint.
That's great and exactly what I did. Problem is the correct response was WEST Germany.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:35 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pm Willy Brandt is German. Pick Germany, East Germany or West Germany. He's a famous leader and J! players will/should have some familiarity. Ostpolitik gives you Ost=East for the extra hint.
That's great and exactly what I did. Problem is the correct response was WEST Germany.
Like I posted, I have my protective vest on. Right, West Germany was the correct response. Thanks, we should have Hammer thoroughly confused by now. Anneke had Soviet Union. Nyet on that one.
davey

Post by davey »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pm Willy Brandt is German. Pick Germany, East Germany or West Germany. He's a famous leader and J! players will/should have some familiarity. Ostpolitik gives you Ost=East for the extra hint. No crime if $800 or $1200 while the player result shows top box works as well.
I just said "Germany" on that one. I'm assuming it wouldn't have been accepted? Or I'd have gotten a "be more specific"?
Assume you'd get a BMS.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

First time I've heard of the name, and we all know how much I hate "sounds like" clues.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pmA diagram of the body matching with this field is going to be anatomy. It's as simple as that.
That was one part failing to process that as a body diagram, one part forgetting that "anatomy" is a thing.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pm There is a lot of noise, but "The Nanny" is Fran Drescher. It's a well-known TV show. She is memorable in the role. Top box fine.
Neither rings the faintest of bells.