Wednesday, January 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:31 pm I am mad as hell because I got Greenwich Village wrong because that contestant started in the middle of the category with that clue. If the category had been played straight down, I would have known the gimmick by that point and not have been distracted by the reference to Houston Street.

If I could make one change in the rules, it would be that categories can only be played from top to bottom. That would also eliminate the necessity of calling out a dollar amount.

So here is my question for you judges. Was my answer of soda shop acceptable? Or is soda not closely enough related to a milkshake as malt obviously is?
"Milkshake relative" is vague enough that I think you'd get away with "soda."
The weirdest thing about the NYC clue was calling the Village a "region." It's not that big. "Neighborhood" is a more common label. If you recognize that 14th St. is the upper boundary the clue should be no problem...It was the second played in the category, after "kibbutz."
A fail at recalling the name of the island tonight for me...Always frustrating to blank on a name I've heard a hundred times... :(
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 pm My favorite clue of the game:

PITY THE FOOL WHO DOESN'T KNOW MR. T MET BOY GEORGE IN A 1986 EPISODE OF THIS SHOW
I wonder if Mr. T really wanted to hurt him...
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:39 pm ...I didn’t realize the kid got stuck with such an unusual first and middle name.
Yeah, who the heck would name their poor kid after a bleeping DAY?

Sincerely, Wednesday Addams and Tuesday Weld

:)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:10 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:39 pm I didn’t realize the kid got stuck with such an unusual first and middle name.
Well, it's not like anyone was around to make fun of him.
Yeah, but I'm sure that whoever remained asked weekly, "What day is it?"
OCSam
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Survivor fans might remember a female contestant called Sunday from a few seasons ago.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Anneke Garcia: 9800-9800=0
Saw that comin'.
After some smart wagers in her first three games, she goes roughshod and bets like she has a plane to catch.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:37 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:39 pm ...I didn’t realize the kid got stuck with such an unusual first and middle name.

don't forget to add "friday" as the middle name of the addams girl
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:51 am Survivor fans might remember a female contestant called Sunday from a few seasons ago.
sunday isn't too uncommon...encountered a few chicks names sunday during my secondary education at various institutions
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:17 am
Anneke Garcia: 9800-9800=0
Saw that comin'.
After some smart wagers in her first three games, she goes roughshod and bets like she has a plane to catch.
not the worst all in ever...she tried to maximize her winnings...betting anything else really did nothing for her as she probably gave 0 shits about coming in 3rd after having won 100k...couldn't wager 0 as 3rd was going to wager...a wager to lock out 3rd on a double would still put her behind on a miss by 1st place...should she have wagered enough to beat leader by 1 dollar in the event that the person currently in 1st wagered 0? no point there...imo all in was what she should have done...and i almost never suggest an all in wager in final jeopardy...any reason not to go all in by her in this game that i may not be thinking of?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Rackme32 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:37 am

I once heard, "If Tuesday Weld married Frederick March 2nd, she'd be Tuesday, March 2nd." :mrgreen:
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I almost went the way of Jill on this FJ. Read the clue, IMMEDIATELY knew this had to do with HMS Bounty, and at first COULD. NOT. COME. UP. WITH. THE. DARNED. NAMES. I had to backtrack to Bounty = Captain Bligh = Fletcher Christian = where the heck did he and his men land?

I came up with Pitcairn at about the 20-second mark, just enough time to write it down. Whew!! Too close for comfort.

LT: (Spirit of) '76, Ethiopia, pancreas.

Really sorry to see Anneke go, and hope we'll see her again. Many congrats to John, but I think he shortchanged himself with his FJ
wager. His only chance to win, of course, was if both ladies negged, so he had only to beat their totals after subtracting for the miss. That would have meant Beat $8799 (Jill over-wagered by $1K), which was more than he had. If he had to bet something, no reason not to bet large. I had him down for all but a buck.

But...he's the champ and maybe he can add some more in his second game.

He's from the Toledo area, and I'm guessing he went to the same auditions in Cleveland that I went to last summer, although not in my group. So the Contestant Coordinators are at least snooping around my area. Hope they still have my phone number....
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Only missing Tito's, Salvage Dawgs, Dove Tail, Sarah McLaughlin, and Shop Warp.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: 76, Ethiopia, Chief Justice, Pancreas, (Clear and Present Danger), Bishops, Greenwich Village, (Lilacs), Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:42 pm ...and Shop Warp.)
I think you mean "shopworn"...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:14 pm Between "last name Christian" = Pitcairn and Langerhans + organ = pancreas, this was a very Pavlovian game.
I am trying to catch up on missed episodes and saw this one just now. Needless to say, Alex mentioning the pancreas gave me a weird feeling.

Instaget FJ.