Friday, January 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, January 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

In WWTBAMspeak, they "Llamad" on an FJ I knew cold.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:20 pm I, on the other hand, missed the fact they were asking about two television shows. For some reason, I was thinking one was radio.
So did I, until just reading your post! Weird. I also said Ryan Seacrest, but with more time to consider it he's clearly too late to be correct. Considering I was on WWTBAM? in 2000 I should have thought of Regis. My wife got it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:44 pm I know it's too early to talk about this for John, but how many ToC champions were in 3rd place heading into their very first FJ?

Dan Pawson is first to come to mind. He won it on a TS, too!
I don't have the cheezguyty magic to get them all. This should cover 1996 to present with it being possible I may have missed one or two:

Brad Plovan
JJ Todor
Darlene Lieblich
Pam Mueller (college)
Ben Tritle
Christopher Short
Drew Horwood

From there you can look into their TOC results.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 am
Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:20 pm I, on the other hand, missed the fact they were asking about two television shows. For some reason, I was thinking one was radio.
So did I, until just reading your post! Weird. I also said Ryan Seacrest, but with more time to consider it he's clearly too late to be correct. Considering I was on WWTBAM? in 2000 I should have thought of Regis. My wife got it.
I know Seacrest was more radio at the turn of the century (as a listener of Star 98.7 at the time, again, my apologies...) so he wouldn't have come to mind. I ended up with Larry King after giving Donahue more than a few thoughts (but he's likely too obscure for FJ! these days). Not sure if I would've made it to Regis.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:15 am
JayK33 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:44 pm I know it's too early to talk about this for John, but how many ToC champions were in 3rd place heading into their very first FJ?

I don't have the cheezguyty magic to get them all. This should cover 1996 to present with it being possible I may have missed one or two:

Brad Plovan
JJ Todor
Darlene Lieblich
Pam Mueller (college)
Ben Tritle
Christopher Short
Drew Horwood

I picked off some more going through the season list in the Archive to spot game 1s available.

Peggi Malys
Dave Willis
Peter Scott was tied for 2nd in his debut
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

lisa0012 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:31 pm Instaget. 2000+top game show=WWTBAM. Survivor started that year, but it is paired with the emerging reality shows of that era (Amazing Race, Bachelor, etc), not the game shows (Weakest Link, Deal or Deal, etc).
but it didnt say "game show" in the clue
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Lefty wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:20 pm
Newhausen wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 pm
lisa0012 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:31 pm Instaget. 2000+top game show=WWTBAM. Survivor started that year, but it is paired with the emerging reality shows of that era (Amazing Race, Bachelor, etc), not the game shows (Weakest Link, Deal or Deal, etc).
The clue specified "network show", not "game show". Survivor is definitely a network show.
I, on the other hand, missed the fact they were asking about two television shows. For some reason, I was thinking one was radio.
same for me for some reason...i might have got there if i could have got the idea of radio from my mind
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I almost fell into the radio trap too. Howard Stern was the very first person to come to mind but when I figured out I was going down the wrong path, I went with someone else... which also ended up being a wrong path, but yeah.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:12 am
but it didnt say "game show" in the clue
You're right, not sure how I jumped to that. But I do remember that WWTBAM was the top show at the time. My memories of season 1 of Survivor are a little off because I was out of the country. I've watched every season except that one.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

My problem with FJ was that I don't think of Live! with X and Y as a talk show - it's a more nebulous "morning show" to me. Which, I mean, is a talk show, but I don't think about it that way. A talk show is more like a Donahue or Dr. Phil or Sally Jessy Raphael or whatever.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Only missing Charlie Day, Celebates, and a couple of the Madliberals.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Bistro(The only stumper AGAIN!!!)

I wonder, has there ever been a week where the players got 59/60 clues correct in two episodes?
Douglas Squasoni
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

So I'm trying to figure out what a Presl is, and in what way John isn't actually one, but is only like one. :D
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Actually you were on WWTBAM on 8/21/2001. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:33 pm I wonder, has there ever been a week where the players got 59/60 clues correct in two episodes?
The contestants went 60/60 on Monday, May 18, 1992 and 59/60 the next day.

The contestants went 59/60 on Friday, June 18, 1993 and 60/60 on the following Tuesday. The intervening game is not in the Archive.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Odd connection for a family member for two of this week's clues: my father is a graduate of both Regis HS and the Coast Guard Academy.
OCSam
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

At least I'm in good company with also thinking one they asked for was radio--and I too didn't realize my mistake until Lefty's post. I said Probst, figuring he may have had a radio show about survivor or some other show he was ending when he jumped to survivor that I didn't know about. Regis never crossed my mind, but with my radio misread, don't think I would've gone with him anyway.
davey

Post by davey »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:12 pm There was nearly a second possible correct response to this FJ: Jeff Probst. Survivor followed Millionaire as TV's number one show in the fall of 2000 and Probst has guest-hosted Live! several dozen times over the years...but his first time doing so wasn't until 2001 (he even fits Alex's comment about competing on Celebrity Jeopardy! on a few occasions!).
I wish I'd thought about Probst hosting Live...because then I might have made have made a leap to the correct response. Probst was the only candidate that came to me, and I knew he did host a talk show. Unfortunately that wasn't till 2012 and, as I kind of knew, it was no success...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Closing shift last night, so only now had time to watch.

Ran the Chocolate category.

Surprisingly, $200 was my only miss in Song Titles. Never heard that song in full, and I've heard "Like a Surgeon" only twice, so I couldn't even match the meter.

Can't say I recognize "League of Nations" either.

Gourmet can be a person? I've only ever heard it as an adjective (e.g. "gourmet food").

I thought the souvenir clue was massive negbait for "memento". I usually think of mementos as keepsakes, and souvenirs as trinkets from a tourist trap, not something to remember someONE by. Poll request for those of us who said memento?

Moneypenny was unfamiliar to me in $400.

Talk show... let's see. Network show in 2000... uh........ Oh! Regis hosted a talk show and a network show! That works.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:15 am

Brad Plovan
JJ Todor
Darlene Lieblich
Pam Mueller (college)
Ben Tritle
Christopher Short
Drew Horwood

Thanks, though I was specifically wondering about ToC winners.

For the record, here are all of their first-game positions from the archive:

Jerry Frankel - ?
Chuck Forrest - lock
Bob Verini - 1st
Mark Lowenthal - ?, but with a win of $12,200, probably not 3rd
Tom Cubbage - lock
Bob Blake - ?, but with a two-day total of $40,800, likely dominated his first two
Jim Scott - ?
Leszek Pawlowicz - 1st
Tom Nosek - 1st
Rachael Schwartz - ?
Ryan Holznagel - 1st
Michael Dupée - lock-tie
Dan Melia - 2nd
Dave Abbott - lock
Robin Carroll - lock
Brad Rutter - 1st (an interesting note is that he went into his first ever J! commercial break, in the red)
Mark Dawson - 2nd
Russ Schumacher - 1st
Michael Falk - 2nd
Celeste DiNucci - lock
Dan Pawson - 3rd
Vijay Balse - 1st
Roger Craig - lock
Colby Burnett - 1st
Ben Ingram - lock
Alex Jacob - lock
Buzzy Cohen - 1st

So yeah, based on those statistics, Dan Pawson is the only one that I/we know of.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:11 pm I thought the souvenir clue was massive negbait for "memento".
Not a lot of French words ending in O.