Tuesday, May 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, May 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Ancient Landmarks
It's believed that its nose was about 3 feet wide when it was first constructed around 2500 B.C.
Spoiler
What is the Sphinx?
Elyse Mancuso: $20,800+$20,000=$40,800
Evan Eschliman: $19,800+$19,800=$39,600
Anshika Niraj: $5,600+$5,600=$11,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue May 08, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Nice competitive game. Shame it was decided by another insanely easy FJ!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Now will Maurice Sendak come up in today's game?
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

legendneverdies wrote:Now will Maurice Sendak come up in today's game?
No but MCA did. This show always manages.

Man, Catherine and Elyse combined have managed over $75,000 ($76,401 total.) in their semis. That is amazing. When is the last time a teen tournament had any total that high in one game? (Forget twice.)

So far 2 of my 3 picks are in the finals. Tomorrow's game I am unsure.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:No but MCA did. This show always manages.
Honestly, though, I doubt I would have remembered him from the Beastie Boys if not for his recent death (heack, I haven't even heard of two of the bands mentioned in that category).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Washington Today, Religion and Opera were all 0/5s in J! I feel st00pid.

Also skunked Science, clamming on the first 3.

Should I know that one guy was the first black mayor of Chicago? Black mayor + Midwest had me thinking Detroit.

For some reason, I thought Black Eyed Peas was only a duo, so I'd never heard of Applejack or whomever the hell that was. Also had no clue on Lonely Island since I never looked up either of the song titles I know from them, but picked up Lach Trash on Beastie Boys and Train. (And to the haters: Is "Hey, Soul Sister" really that bad? I think it's all right.)

Blanking on Cervantes kept me from running that Literature category in DJ! I got as far as "um, the Don Quixote guy" but couldn't pull the name out.

My eyes jumped right to "nose" and I said Sphinx before Alex could get to "about three feet".
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue May 08, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

lisa0012 wrote:Nice competitive game. Shame it was decided by another insanely easy FJ!
Yeah, very disappointing. Precalled the Sphinx, then just shook my head when I saw the clue. Woe unto those who get passed on the last (or near to last) clue going into FJ this week.

Why the hell did "upgrade" get negged in the first place, let alone take until after the break to correct?!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:I haven't even heard of two of the bands mentioned in that category).
Out of curiosity, which two?
xxaaaxx wrote:Why the hell did "upgrade" get negged in the first place, let alone take until after the break to correct?!
Seconded.

Is "upright" really that well known in a football goalpost way? That one cost me a run.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue May 08, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

This was a pretty good game to watch. Congrats to Elyse on the win.

I anticipated the reversal on upgrade; the clue seemed ambiguous enough to allow for several correct responses.

I didn't like Evan's FJ wager, which would have cost him the game on a TS.

FJ was an instaget before Alex finished reading the clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Should I know that one guy was the first black mayor of Chicago? Black mayor + Midwest had me thinking Detroit.
Nice to know info, but Detroit isn't a bad guess, either.
Out of curiosity, which two?
Going from your post, Lonely island and Train.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Is "upright" really that well known in a football goalpost way? That one cost me a run.
Announcers say a kick "split the uprights" quite frequently.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

There was, however, a mention of MCA AKA Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys who died on Friday.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:And to the haters: Is "Hey, Soul Sister" really that bad? I think it's all right.
Yes, in fact, it is. Their current single, "Drive-By" is pretty catchy though. Train re-defines the phrase "inoffensive pop music".

Personally thought the Beasties clue should have been bottom row. There's absolutely no reason to expect current high schoolers to be that familiar with the band, unless they have much older siblings. This episode of course would have been taped well before MCA's recent death.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

For the second night in a row I thought that the board was very well-written but too easy even for the Teen Tournament.

I have also never heard of Lonely Island. I know plenty of Train songs but I couldn't have told you the names of any of its members, though I do remember the lead singer of Train being on a celebrity edition of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire many years ago.

Based on the posts so far in this thread I feel like an idiot for missing FJ. I guessed the Colossus of Rhodes, even though the clue probably should have excluded it. I couldn't get away from the Wonders of the Ancient World. The Sphinx just never occurred to me.
Last edited by StevenH on Tue May 08, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:For some reason, I thought Black Eyed Peas was only a duo, so I'd never heard of Applejack or whomever the hell that was.
They picked the two less-recognized members of the band. Fergie and will.i.am (pronounced "will I am") are the more-recognized ones. IIRC, SNL did a sketch about Taboo and apl.de.ap (pronounced "apple dee app," I think) pining for more recognition.

Wikipedia is your friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Eyed_Peas
Last edited by Magna on Tue May 08, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The year made it obvious, but it was interesting they had to identify a sculpture with a replica of the Lincoln Memorial staring them in the face.

Yes, I thought upgrade should have been accepted to begin with. It would have been a shame if Evan had a very narrow lead going into FJ, thanks to the extra money he got from a response he never should have given.

I guess the controversial judges ruling will be coming up tomorrow.

I remember Harold Washington being elected, but knowing who he was is probably one of those "you had to be there" things as he died in office in his first term.

When Alex asked Evan if luck played a role in his success, I was hoping he would say, "Yes, I was lucky my opponent made a stupid wager". But based on his FJ bet, he did not learn from her mistake.

I also negged on saying Poe in the literature category.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I liked how that one clue referenced the First Lady's garden for absolutely no reason, just to stick it to those who were complaining the other day about the First Lady reading a category. That'll show 'em, Jeopardy...even though they won't be around to see it since they are NEVER WATCHING AGAIN!

I've highly enjoyed the Teen Tournament thus far, and have been very impressed by many of the players. For me, this was the easiest game since last Monday, and the players' scores seemed to agree with me. My Coryat today topped $40K, after being in the $30s for the previous 5 shows. While there are certainly plenty of categories and clues that are much easier than regular Jeopardy, there are still enough reasonably difficult clues that I can at least feel some sense of accomplishment at coming up with the correct responses.
TenPoundHammer wrote: For some reason, I thought Black Eyed Peas was only a duo, so I'd never heard of Applejack or whomever the hell that was.
There was a hilarious SNL sketch in the last year or so where the "Other 2 guys" from the Black Eyed Peas had their own TV show, where they got to enjoy a little bit of the spotlight, away from Fergie and will.i.am. The other 2 guys are Taboo and apl.de.ap. I assume that will.i.am and apl.de.ap must be related, since they both share the unusual trait of having multiple periods in their names.

*ETA* Get out of my brain, Magna!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

jeff6286 wrote:*ETA* Get out of my brain, Magna!
:lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote: They picked the two less-recognized members of the band. Fergie and will.i.am (pronounced "will I am") are the more-recognized ones. IIRC, SNL a sketch about Taboo and apl.de.ap (pronounced "apple dee app," I think) pining for more recognition.

Wikipedia is your friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Eyed_Peas
Already did that.

(By the by: I know only "I Gotta Feeling". Please tell me that there songs aren't all just the title repeated 9001 times. We get it: tonight's gonna be a good good night. Tonight's gonna be a good good night. Tonight's gonna be a good good night. Tonight's gonna be a good good night. Lather rinse repeat.)
jeff6286 wrote:I assume that will.i.am and apl.de.ap must be related, since they both share the unusual trait of having multiple periods in their names.
And they both think that poor literacy is kewl.
jeff6286 wrote:There was a hilarious SNL sketch in the last year or so
Not according to most fans of the show, there wasn't. :-P