LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by econgator »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:30 pm
Coelacanth wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:18 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:08 pm
Wow! Yesterday I won France 9(5)-0(0). Missed Pepin
This is...remarkable. I only didn't assign that zero on defense because of the Breton question.
So you’re saying everyone knows Pepin?!
I would think Pepin the Short is fairly well-known.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

This is...remarkable. I only didn't assign that zero on defense because of the Breton question.
No, but there were at least 3 questions in that set that were significantly more difficult. I was trying to express that you did well to get all of those, not that Pepin is universally known.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

Is it just me, or was the grading on the Pun 1D unnecessarily harsh?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

RJRouge wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 pm Is it just me, or was the grading on the Pun 1D unnecessarily harsh?
I think Thorsten is in a pretty impossible spot on a quiz like that, and his system is not set up to have the quiz's writer assist with grading, (Beyond whatever guidelines they can give in advance) so he probably has to make a lot of tough calls. I got away with one here as I had "Chess nuts toasting" rather than "Chess nuts boasting", I suspected I'd probably get away with it as put a glass in their hands and it seems like it works, but I heard of several people who got dinged for substituting a different word for "foyer"

I'd love to hear what you got negged on that you conisdered harsh.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:40 am
RJRouge wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 pm Is it just me, or was the grading on the Pun 1D unnecessarily harsh?
I think Thorsten is in a pretty impossible spot on a quiz like that, and his system is not set up to have the quiz's writer assist with grading, (Beyond whatever guidelines they can give in advance) so he probably has to make a lot of tough calls. I got away with one here as I had "Chess nuts toasting" rather than "Chess nuts boasting", I suspected I'd probably get away with it as put a glass in their hands and it seems like it works, but I heard of several people who got dinged for substituting a different word for "foyer"

I submitted late and it didn't get counted, but I missed a few, so no loss to me. Anyway, I personally hope that "Tom Swiftie" was not allowed as a correct response (and moneyed Tom Swift under the assumption that it wouldn't be), since that's the name of the wordplay, not the character.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:40 am

I submitted late and it didn't get counted, but I missed a few, so no loss to me. Anyway, I personally hope that "Tom Swiftie" was not allowed as a correct response (and moneyed Tom Swift under the assumption that it wouldn't be), since that's the name of the wordplay, not the character.
I forget where I read it but I believe Tom Swifty was accepted. I would not have assumed that lots of people thought Swifty was his last name, but more likely people might simply misread what was being asked for.

A few of these questions I thought could have been improved by clarifying what was being asked for. I went back and forth on whether I should say Stone Temple Pilots or Stoned Temple Pilots. As expected, both were taken but why is the primary listed answer Stone Temple Pilots? They have weed in their hand, making them Stoned, that’s the entire point of the pun!

I feel like the Presidents questions should have specified to fill in the blanks in order as someone reported getting credit with them reversed.

The ruby yacht question felt most bizarre as asking for only the author’s name makes the pun completely irrelevant to the question. (I feel that virtually no one was answering that off of “ruby yacht” who wasnt already getting it from “Persian poet”.)

I would have either asked for both work and author or asked for the specific name of the vessel in question, spelled to fit the pun rather than as the title should be.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Coelacanth wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:47 pm
No, but there were at least 3 questions in that set that were significantly more difficult. I was trying to express that you did well to get all of those, not that Pepin is universally known.
Ahh! There's so much I don't know about stuff, but I'm a Columbia U. French Lit. PhD dropout, so this is a pretty good ML for me, pre-modern history questions aside ;)
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

The last two. I had "Chess nuts rooting in an open foyer," going for the visual similarity to roasting rather than the rhyme, and also submitted Married Paw-pins for the last one. I clearly understood what the pun was, and "Mary Poppins" is not what was actually shown in the image.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

RJRouge wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:02 am

The last two. I had "Chess nuts rooting in an open foyer," going for the visual similarity to roasting rather than the rhyme, and also submitted Married Paw-pins for the last one. I clearly understood what the pun was, and "Mary Poppins" is not what was actually shown in the image.
My answer for Q12 was Marry Paw-pins, which was accepted.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The heavy metal questions keep coming on RnR. I officially don't care about this one anymore.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Oh joy. Yesterday, doing Video Games D1, feelin pretty good. Look at the results of my group today, except for the one forfeit everyone got at least 3. This might have dialed back to 'challenge'...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:22 am The heavy metal questions keep coming on RnR. I officially don't care about this one anymore.
Yeah, the combination of the metal questions and me going on vacation for a few days sort of relegated that ML to the bottom of my priority list.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:25 am Oh joy. Yesterday, doing Video Games D1, feelin pretty good. Look at the results of my group today, except for the one forfeit everyone got at least 3. This might have dialed back to 'challenge'...
The only one I signed up for. I'm already out of it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:38 am
Volante wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:25 am Oh joy. Yesterday, doing Video Games D1, feelin pretty good. Look at the results of my group today, except for the one forfeit everyone got at least 3. This might have dialed back to 'challenge'...
You are out of it?!!?
Volante

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 am
econgator wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:38 am
You are out of it?!!?
I guess that explains why he left $100 on the countertop.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

First in my Video Game group! The bad news is 7 of 12 players have gone 8 for 12 in questions so this is still shaping up to be a moderate group of death.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

France MD11: Never heard of Ortolan Bunting!

Did fairly well in France with 33 TCA but got burned by poor defense and a MD1 forfeit loss
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Despite scoring well enough during the regular season in the France minileague to have won over half the groups, I got a big fat goose egg (oeuf d'oie?) in the final. There were some deep cuts and obscure facts answered by llamas on that one.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I would have known two in the France final: the Olympic cities and Brillat-Savarin. And the latter one only because I watched a crap-ton of Iron Chef back in the day.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:21 am I would have known two in the France final: the Olympic cities and Brillat-Savarin. And the latter one only because I watched a crap-ton of Iron Chef back in the day.
Yeah, I should have had both of those - they were the only ones I was close to (said Val D'Isere instead of Grenoble for the third olympic city - since I was too frustrated by the rest of the quiz to labour over it, and said Escoffier knowing it was wrong for the pioneering gourmand).