Tuesday, January 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7912, 2019-01-22

CONTESTANTS
Julie Bender, a public transportation consultant from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Haley Zapal, a copywriter from Atlanta, Georgia
John Presloid, a microbiologist from Perrysburg, Ohio (whose 4-day cash winnings total $92,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, I hope you were watching yesterday. We had a special moment. Our champion, John, had $10,000, hit a Daily Double, and bet it all, and responded correctly. Wound up winning $25,000. Haley and Julie, that should be encouragement to you two. We'll find out if it is. Good luck. Here we go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EVERYONE INTO THE POOL! (5/5)
U.S. GEOGRAPHY (5/5)
TAKING STOCK (3/5)
LIT-POURRI (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
NEVER GONNA GIVE U UP (2/4) (Alex: Each correct response will contain two U's. In fact, that's the only vowel in each correct response.)
RICK ROLES (5/5) (Alex: I have no idea what that one's about.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Haley: 14 R (including 3 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Julie: 6 R, 2 W
John: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Haley found the Daily Double on the 6th clue. John was in the hole with -$600, Haley had $2,400, and Julie had a deficit with -$400. Haley wagered $1,500.

LIT-POURRI $800: The title of this World War II-set novel refers to Liesel Meminger, who learns to read what she has stolen
(Haley: What is "The Reader"?
Alex: No, what is [*]? Made it into a movie, too, kind of nice one.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Haley: $1,500
John: $800
Julie: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Julie Bender is from one of my favorite American cities, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. And you do some special kind of work at a cemetery. Tell me about it.

Julie: I do. I'm a volunteer at The Woodlands in West Philadelphia, and there's a crew of us called grave gardeners, and there was a trend in the Victorian era to put a container grave on top of graves and you would plant your relative's favorite flowers, and so we continue that tradition and we tend those graves with period-appropriate flowers.

Alex: Well, good for you. That's very nice.

Alex: Haley Zapal, from Atlanta, Georgia, a copywriter who runs a nonprofit, one-week summer camp that teaches girls something very specific, and it sounds like fun.

Haley: Yeah, we, uh--it's the power of rock and roll. It's a camp for girls 10 to 16. They come, they form bands, they take instrument lessons, and then they write an original song and perform it live at the end of the week.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: John Presloid is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. You have done some writing in specific textbooks, about what?

John: Virology.

Alex: Oh. And you wrote some chapters.

John: Yeah, I was lucky enough, the first lab after I got my thesis finished, they requested her to write some chapters for evolution of viruses, and she solicited my help.

Alex: So you're a published author.

John: I am. [ laughs ]

Alex: Way to go, all right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NEVER GONNA GIVE U UP $400: This adjective for a not-celebrated "hero" is also a TV show chronicling the rise & fall of musical acts
(Haley: What is hubris?)
(Alex: What is [*]? Remember, two U's coming up in each correct response.)

NEVER GONNA GIVE U UP $1000: Type of plant seen here, familiar to an infant Moses
(Julie: What are rushes?)
(Alex: Remember it has to contain two U's, so it would be "What is [*]?")

TAKING STOCK $800: In 1971 this new U.S. stock exchange introduced the era of all-electronic trading
(Haley: What is the New York Stock Exchange?)
(Alex: Less than a minute, now, Haley.)

TAKING STOCK $600: Market winners in early 2018 include CMG, this Mexican food chain that got a new CEO & saw its price rise 50%

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Haley: $6,900
John: $600
Julie: $0
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
50 YEARS AGO, IN 1969 (4/5)
EVERYTHING'S IN ORDINAL (5/5)
LANGUAGE FAMILIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUSICAL & PLAY SETTINGS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SPECIAL DAYS (4/5)
A FEW GOOD MEN (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 13 R, 0 W
Haley: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Julie: 5 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Haley snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. John had $1,400, Haley had $8,500, and Julie had nothing in the bank. Haley wagered $1,500.

LANGUAGE FAMILIES $1600: The Athabascan family ranges into Canada & includes this SW language, the USA's most widely spoken native language

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. John had $7,800, Haley had $9,600, and Julie was at $3,600. Julie wagered $2,000.

MUSICAL & PLAY SETTINGS $1200: In Act One, Scene 1 of this play, "the curtain rises on Truvy's Beauty Shop" in Chinquapin Parish, Louisiana

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MUSICAL & PLAY SETTINGS $1600: This 1988 Tony-winning play is set in a Paris prison in the present & in flashbacks from 1960 to 1970 in Beijing

MUSICAL & PLAY SETTINGS $2000: A back room & bar of Harry Hope's saloon is the setting for this Eugene O'Neill play

SPECIAL DAYS $2000: A'phabet day, aka no "L" day, is punningly observed on this date

50 YEARS AGO, IN 1969 $2000: Dismissed by de Gaulle in 1968, he returned to the "centre" of French politics, succeeding de Gaulle as president

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Haley: $14,400
John: $13,800
Julie: $7,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMIC STRIP TITLE CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals twice third with second crushing third.
Haley: Wager $13,200--wagering any more risks falling behind Julie's wager of $6,000.
John: While a wager of all $13,800 may be a rational possibility (since it has the potential to tie Haley if you both get Final right), your more optimal choice is to wager $600. Don't fall into the trap of making the Four-fifths Rule wager of $1,201, because if Julie wagers $6,000, you may fall behind, and in this case it's more important to stay ahead of Julie than to reap the small benefit your 4/5ths position offers.
Julie: Wager all $7,200 if you have confidence in your Final-solving abilities or John's wagering abilities. If neither, a wager of $6,000 is good for at least the extra prize potential of a second-place finish (if Haley misses Final) and can possibly score the win if John goofs in wagering. Importantly, this latter wager ties Haley should Haley wager $13,200 but give the incorrect response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 were named for a European "theologian who believed in predestination" & a "philosopher with a dim view of human nature"

FINAL SCORES
Julie: $7,200 + $0 = $7,200 (Who are Calvin + Hobbes) (3rd place: $1,000)
John: $13,800 + $1,000 = $14,800 (Who are Calvin and Hobbes? :)) (2nd place: $2,000)
Haley: $14,400 + $13,000 = $27,400 (Who are Calvin + Hobbes?) (New champion: $27,400)
(Alex: I can't recall an occasion when all three of our players wrote down their responses so quickly. I timed you. It was about 12 seconds!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Haley: $16,000, 22 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
John: $13,800, 17 R, 2 W
Julie: $6,400, 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $36,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Haley: 23/60 = .383
John: 18/58 = .310
Julie: 12/59 = .203
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LIT-POURRI $600: "Peace Breaks Out" is John Knowles' sequel to this novel set at a New England boarding school
(John: What is Dead Poet's Society?)

LIT-POURRI $1000: In a 2018 bestseller, Madeline Miller retells the story of this Greek sorceress, daughter of Helios
(Julie: Who is Medea?)

NEVER GONNA GIVE U UP $200: With a lever, it's pivotal
(Alex: That's it. Two U's in that one.)

U.S. GEOGRAPHY $1000: Niagara Falls is made up of 2 falls, the American falls & these Canadian falls
(Alex: That's it, and you're on the plus side at $800.)

U.S. GEOGRAPHY $600: Edgartown & Oak Bluffs are 2 of only a handful of towns on this island in New England
(Alex: That's it, and now you are on the plus side.)

EVERYONE INTO THE POOL! $200: "Swimming World" magazine named him Male World Swimmer of the Year eight times

EVERYONE INTO THE POOL! $600: He found relief from his polio swimming in the mineral pools of Warm Springs, Georgia, where he had a little "White House"

TAKING STOCK $1000: Running its own market index as well as providing credit ratings, "S&P" stands for this company
(John: What is Standard & Poor?)
(Alex: [*]. You had to put an "S" on the end of it there, sorry.)

50 YEARS AGO, IN 1969 $1200: Called a sort of dress rehearsal, this space mission in May of 1969 sent the first color TV pictures of planet Earth
(Haley: What is Apollo 12?)

A FEW GOOD MEN $2000: This "Boombastic" reggae singer served a tour in the corps in the first Gulf War
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

A FEW GOOD MEN $1600: Before he was a go-to guy for Scorsese, this actor earned a medal for his service in Lebanon in the 1950s

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Book Thief
Unsung
a bulrush
NASDAQ
Chipotle
Navajo
Steel Magnolias
M. Butterfly
The Iceman Cometh
December 25th
Georges Pompidou
Calvin & Hobbes
A Separate Peace
Circe
fulcrum
Horseshoe Falls
Martha's Vineyard
Michael Phelps
FDR (Franklin Roosevelt)
Standard & Poor's
Apollo 10
Shaggy
Harvey Keitel
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COMIC STRIP TITLE CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 were named for a European “theologian who believed in predestination” & a “philosopher with a dim view of human nature”

John Presloid: 13800+1000=14800
Haley Zapal: 14400+13000=27400 (New Champ)
Julie Bender: 7200+0=7200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Calvin & Hobbes

Daily Doubles
Haley: 2400-1500
Haley: 8500+1500
Julie: 3600+2000

Coryats
John: 13800
Haley: 16000
Julie: 6400

Combined: 36,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
John: 600
Haley: 6900
Julie: 0
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When John gets bumped from the TOC field he can revisit this game where he had a chance to steal the match or to win it outright with better play. To plural or not to plural on the S&P clue is one such spot.

Haley outplayed John on the buzzer and did enough to have the lead even with her miss on DD1. Her leaving 900 on the table worked out for her in the end.

13000 is a pretty number, but 27400 does not cover the possible 27600 by John that some champs in his position would have reached as they already have money in the bank and leave with the go big/go home philosophy.

The FJ! clue is one when many of us will join the contestants for the fast solve. By the end of the week the poll will show at least an 85% get rate. Advantage leader in the game even though she could have blown that edge.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

A thoroughly unsatisfying end to John’s run.

But he seems to have had a thoroughly enjoyable experience!

And this FJ should poll over 90% unless some of the younger set just isn’t familiar with it. Best comic strip ever - or at least since Peanuts.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. It must suck to be in 2nd place and see a clue that easy. Also must suck to see the leader fail to make the cover wager. "You see? he should've bet it all!!!" That's definitely what we want to teach the viewers at home. Yup.

Throw another 4Xer onto the pile. What's this, 4 in a row who lost their fifth game? 5? Sheesh. Again, I just hope they don't take their sweet time with the next TOC and wipe out all the 4X champs.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 pm Instaget FJ. It must suck to be in 2nd place and see a clue that easy. Also must suck to see the leader fail to make the cover wager. "You see? he should've bet it all!!!" That's definitely what we want to teach the viewers at home. Yup.

Throw another 4Xer onto the pile. What's this, 4 in a row who lost their fifth game? 5? Sheesh. Again, I just hope they don't take their sweet time with the next TOC and wipe out all the 4X champs.
It must also suck when your ToC hopes die as soon as the clue pops up.

I think we're actually at six straight four day champs, starting with Mary Ann in November. Mary Ann, Dave, Jackie, Jonathan, Anneke, John. Alex Schmidt lost to 5xer Alan Dunn to make seven. Crazy to think how if a few things fall a little differently, we could have a full ToC field by now. A few of those six or seven could win the tourney too, it's a real shame.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That Litpourri category wsa tough IMO. Didn't recognize a single thing in it.

However, I ran Special Days.

Surprisingly, $200 was my only miss in Pool. Just couldn't think o fany famous swimmers. I learned "infinity pool" on Wheel of Fortune of all places.

"Standard and poor's" was negbait waiting to happen. I had no idea it had a possessive S either. That was my only miss in that category.

Disappointed that Rick Roles didn't have Rick and Morty in it.

I thought the Language category was obscure too. NHO "Indo-European".

I knew all of the terms in "Ordinal", but kept brainfarting and just couldn't pull them.

Calvin & Hobbes was my precall, so I had it off just "these two blah blah blah theologian". I recognized the "dim view of human nature" from the Calvin & Hobbes 10th Anniversary book, too. Yakka foob mog. Grug pubbawup zink wattoom gazork. Chumble spuzz.

Lach Trash: unsung, bulrush, NASDAQ, Chipotle, December 25
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 pm And this FJ should poll over 90% unless some of the younger set just isn’t familiar with it. Best comic strip ever - or at least since Peanuts.
Late last season, "Calvin & Hobbes" was the answer to a Toss-Up on Wheel. Someone on the Buy a Vowel forums said they had never heard of it because they'd never read a newspaper. This person was at least 5 years older than I am, and I was 8 when C&H ended its run.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Had it as soon as I read "theologian"
Expected somewhat more challenge, my precall was "Sally Forth".
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

How is "Center" not a dead giveaway for Pompidou?

All universities should end ROTC, tbh. The mission of the government's killing club and the mission of the academy are incompatible with one another.

Damn. Haley is good. It's a pity she and Josh couldn't have been kept separate--the two of them deserve massively long runs.

Coryat: $42,200

J: 20R10P. Missed DD. 5/5 on Pool and Geography. 4/5 on Taking Stock. 3/5 on Rick Roles. 2/5 on Never Gonna Give U Up. 1/5 on Lit-Pourri.

DJ: 27R3P. 5/5 on 1969, Ordinal, Language Families, and Special Days. 4/5 on Musical & Play Settings. 3/5 on A Few Good Men.

FJ: Instaget. #2 favorite comic strip of all-time.

LT: The Iceman Cometh, December 25, Georges Pompidou
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Calvin & Hobbes wasn't my pre-call for the category, but it was a worthy choice. Other obvious possibilities were Doonesbury, Cathy, Ziggy, Dick Tracy, Mary Worth, Hagar the Horrible, The Wizard of Id... and I'll stop there. I've already thought of twice as many more and don't feel like typing.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I haven't been keeping up with it...but is there any way John can make the next TOC? He was a great contestant and would add a deep knowledge field to that competition among the elite?

John waited just a little too long to start his charge, which he did without any DD today as opposed to previous days, but it allowed Haley to build up enough of a cushion to take him.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

"Comic Title Characters" + "Two Names" = only Calvin & Hobbes came to mind for me. So, instaget.

Shame to see John go without winning his fifth.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:32 pm I haven't been keeping up with it...but is there any way John can make the next TOC? He was a great contestant and would add a deep knowledge field to that competition among the elite?

John waited just a little too long to start his charge, which he did without any DD today as opposed to previous days, but it allowed Haley to build up enough of a cushion to take him.
From The Jeopardy! Fan's 1/22 game page: (spoilers used since it brings up results of many games not part of today)
Spoiler
Tournament of Champions projections:
With a projected 143 regular-play games to go prior to the Tournament of Champions cutoff, after 500,000 simulations, our model shows:
An average of 4.0685 5+-time champions (standard deviation 1.6867).
An average of 7.3574 4+-time champions (standard deviation 2.083).

An early cutoff took place 19.329% of the time (or a 5-game winner will be left out).

Haley Zapal qualified 5.727% of the time.
Anneke Garcia qualified 57.204% of the time.
Dave Leffler qualified 31.938% of the time.
Jonathan Dinerstein qualified 10.922% of the time.
Alex Schmidt qualified 2.764% of the time.
John Presloid qualified 0.341% of the time.

My comments:
Spoiler
When including the upcoming May 2019 Teachers Tournament winner that puts John as #15 on the list. There has been no indication there will be a TOC this season. Whether September, October or November that's too many games for John to be knocked down at least one peg if not more.

To get in he might need something that has opened spots in the past such as someone:
passing
facing legal trouble
scheduling conflict
military commitment

It's wins then money and too many players already are or will be above 4x & $92,200. Back in the old days the TOC was yearly. It now occurs with a wider gap wiping out TOC quality contestants. Sucks for John while the harsh reality for him and others out is, "You shoulda won more."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

JayK33 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:43 pm "Comic Title Characters" + "Two Names" = only Calvin & Hobbes came to mind for me. So, instaget.
Good point. What other comic strips even meet that criterion? Hi & Lois?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:18 pm
JayK33 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:43 pm "Comic Title Characters" + "Two Names" = only Calvin & Hobbes came to mind for me. So, instaget.
Mutt and Jeff
Arlo and Janis

At the risk of going off topic, I'll stop now. (Also, that's all I could think of.)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 pm
Mutt and Jeff
Arlo and Janis

At the risk of going off topic, I'll stop now. (Also, that's all I could think of.)
Kit & Carlyle,
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:25 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 pm
Mutt and Jeff
Arlo and Janis

Kit & Carlyle,
Asterix and Obelix
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

How about a shout out to Haley? She took command of the buzzer from the 4 day champ and had some serious book knowledge to back it up. I'm kind of glad John didn't eke through in FJ because of a vicious clue - that is how he got past the first two buzz saws in his first game. He showed he deserved to be there. Haley may have legs if she doesn't commit an unforced wagering error like today.

I was looking forward to the category, but instantly was sorry that it delimited Bloom County and a shot at stardom for one of the best penguins on the board. Calvin and Hobbes was amazingly creative, and our local newsrag only got in on the end of the run. The snowman gag has been appropriated by Foxtrot, and the animated stuffed animal continues elegantly with Non Sequitur. (disclaimer - I don't know which artist was first at either of these motifs- I'm sure they all are pre-dated by someone else).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.