Tuesday, January 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by teapot37 »

DBear wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:25 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:18 pm
JayK33 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:43 pm "Comic Title Characters" + "Two Names" = only Calvin & Hobbes came to mind for me. So, instaget.
Good point. What other comic strips even meet that criterion? Hi & Lois?
Mutt and Jeff
Arlo and Janis

At the risk of going off topic, I'll stop now. (Also, that's all I could think of.)
Kit & Carlyle,
Asterix and Obelix
Barney Google and Snuffy Smith
Frank and Ernest
Kevin and Kell
Mother Goose and Grimm
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Using a faux-Earthrise for Apollo 10 (and especially without clue text during the read) was pretty mean... (Yes, yes, there's plenty of bits that rule out 8, but you're playing against Pavlov there.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 pm Using a faux-Earthrise for Apollo 10 (and especially without clue text during the read) was pretty mean... (Yes, yes, there's plenty of bits that rule out 8, but you're playing against Pavlov there.)
Well, not everyone uses a quote about Neil Armstrong below every post... :D

Honestly I think Apollo 8 would be a Pavlov for a very slim percentage of people.

I thought tonight's FJ was pretty easy, but hard for me to imagine it will poll 90%. It did require a little thought so I'm sure some people had a mental block. My guess is more like 80%.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

It's disappointing to see that John, despite being a great 4-time champ with nearly $100,000 won, is in last place on the ToC leaderboard at the moment (assuming Jackie is already off due to the next Teachers Tournament). Why can't they just have a ToC every year like they used to? Why jump back and forth between doing it once a year and once every two years? Now a lot of great players and potential ToC stars are losing that chance.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote: Using a faux-Earthrise for Apollo 10 (and especially without clue text during the read) was pretty mean... (Yes, yes, there's plenty of bits that rule out 8, but you're playing against Pavlov there.)

Honestly I think Apollo 8 would be a Pavlov for a very slim percentage of people.
When it comes to the Apollo missions, you (should) either know them cold or not at all. There are only nine or ten that are notable enough to be on J!.
I liked Haley from the get-go and was rooting for her. I was pretty disapointed in her obvious guess on that clue.
I seem to remember she had one other guess/neg on a bottom row clue. I fear that (random guessing), coupled with soft DD wagering will end up costing her a ToC run.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

33,000 coryat.

This category is squarely in my wheelhouse and was an instaget by "theologian." Calvin and Hobbes is a fine strip but far from my favorite. ;)
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 pm Disappointed that Rick Roles didn't have Rick and Morty in it.

I thought the Language category was obscure too. NHO "Indo-European".
You've NHO Indo-European but expect J! contestants to know who Justin Roiland is?
I would prefer not to.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

NEVER GONNA GIVE U UP $1000: Type of plant seen here, familiar to an infant Moses
(Julie: What are rushes?)
It seemed to me this was one of those instances where the other two contestants were not allowed to rebound because Alex possibly called Julie's response correct, then was overruled, and an edit was patched in for the show. I was shocked neither John or Haley could come up with 'Bull Rushes' after Julie gave them half of it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"What is hubris?" "Nope." I could get a lot of mileage out of a clip of that. (Not a request; I have the wherewithal to make it myself.)
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Bartleby wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 am 33,000 coryat.

This category is squarely in my wheelhouse and was an instaget by "theologian." Calvin and Hobbes is a fine strip but far from my favorite. ;)
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:45 pm Disappointed that Rick Roles didn't have Rick and Morty in it.

You've NHO Indo-European but expect J! contestants to know who Justin Roiland is?
I'd never heard of Roiland either, didn't see what that name was even connected with... So to Google I went, turned out the creator of Rick and Morty (had to look that up, too) graduated from Manteca HS... whose basketball team I have seen play some twenty times over the last six years (during which I've gone to some 700 games).

Small world.... kinda... sorta... :)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:42 pm Instaget FJ. It must suck to be in 2nd place and see a clue that easy. Also must suck to see the leader fail to make the cover wager. "You see? he should've bet it all!!!" That's definitely what we want to teach the viewers at home. Yup.
Wow I didn't even notice that until I saw it in your post. Well that makes losing John even harder.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bartleby wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 am 33,000 coryat.

was going to say the same thing...no idea wtf rick and morty is, but did get indo-european
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 am
NEVER GONNA GIVE U UP $1000: Type of plant seen here, familiar to an infant Moses
It seemed to me this was one of those instances where the other two contestants were not allowed to rebound because Alex possibly called Julie's response correct, then was overruled, and an edit was patched in for the show. I was shocked neither John or Haley could come up with 'Bull Rushes' after Julie gave them half of it.
You'd have been ruled wrong. He said the answer had only u's. Pluralizing it would have gotten you negged.
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:20 am Honestly I think Apollo 8 would be a Pavlov for a very slim percentage of people.
<Newhart> Th-th-that would b-b-be me. </Newhart>
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 am
Category 13 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:45 am
You'd have been ruled wrong. He said the answer had only u's. Pluralizing it would have gotten you negged.
Ooh, I forgot about that, and I counted myself right for the plural...Oh well, I don't believe it would have altered the outcome of the game... ;)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote: Using a faux-Earthrise for Apollo 10 (and especially without clue text during the read) was pretty mean... (Yes, yes, there's plenty of bits that rule out 8, but you're playing against Pavlov there.)

When it comes to the Apollo missions, you (should) either know them cold or not at all. There are only nine or ten that are notable enough to be on J!.
There's only 13 Apollo missions in the first place! (1, 7-17 then Apollo-Soyuz)
(Yes, if you want to get even more technical, there were loads of missions during the Apollo program, but only a select subset of those carry the Apollo name)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Only missing Bulrush, Second Wind, Harvey Kietel, and Adam Driver(Knew it at one time.))
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (The Book Thief), Unsung, NASDAQ, Chipotle, M. Butterfly, The Iceman Cometh, December 25th, Georges Pompidou
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,600
48 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
LT: The Book Thief (DD), unsung, bulrush, NASDAQ, Chipotle, December 25, Georges Pompidou
Volante wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 pm Using a faux-Earthrise for Apollo 10 (and especially without clue text during the read) was pretty mean... (Yes, yes, there's plenty of bits that rule out 8, but you're playing against Pavlov there.)
They gave the date of May 1969 and mentioned that the mission was "called a sort of dress rehearsal," which suggested that they were looking for (Moon Landing - 1).
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:25 am Coryat: 40,600
48 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
LT: The Book Thief (DD), unsung, bulrush, NASDAQ, Chipotle, December 25, Georges Pompidou
They gave the date of May 1969 and mentioned that the mission was "called a sort of dress rehearsal," which suggested that they were looking for (Moon Landing - 1).
Yes, but you didn't get the text of the clue so you couldn't read ahead! Instead I had to listen for Alex to verbalize the gimmick.