Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm
MasterCone wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 pm In the 2 of 3 Are Vowels category, does Rachel appear to say "ill"? I assume the correct answer is ail, as ill doesn't fit the category, but I have listened a few times and just can't hear it.
I heard "ail" which is the correct response.

Andy's Thoughts from this posting: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/01/fina ... -2019.html

There’s probably going to be some discussion online about this one. On the $1600 clue in 2 OF THE 3 LETTERS ARE VOWELS, it is apparent to me that the judges, by the fact that they did not take points away from Rachel, ruled that Rachel did say “ail” on that clue and not “ill”, in spite of what the closed captioning may claim. Closed captioning is not done by the show’s judges or own post-production staff, it is a service done these days by Los Angeles Distribution and Broadcasting, Inc. by a person who was not in studio at the time of taping, so occasional errors can creep in that way. Moreover, the judges have the ability to isolate each contestant’s audio specifically to determine precisely what was said, and that is a luxury that the home viewer does not have. I myself am perfectly satisfied by the judges’ decision, and I have spoken with others who also definitively heard “ail”.
I have no idea if the closed captioner goes back and changes things based on rulings from the judges, but I've noticed quite a few times where the captions accurately reflect a subtle mistake by the contestant that the judges catch later.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:42 pm I have no idea if the closed captioner goes back and changes things based on rulings from the judges, but I've noticed quite a few times where the captions accurately reflect a subtle mistake by the contestant that the judges catch later.
Conversely, I've also seen them misspell "Joe Louis" and "Spanish moss" among other things. Nobody's perfect.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I precalled Duel would come up in 1970s TV Movies. :)
Went 4 out of 5 in the category, only missing the George C. Scott clue.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:12 pm
MasterCone wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 pm In the 2 of 3 Are Vowels category, does Rachel appear to say "ill"? I assume the correct answer is ail, as ill doesn't fit the category, but I have listened a few times and just can't hear it.
I heard "ail" which is the correct response.

Andy's Thoughts from this posting: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/01/fina ... -2019.html

There’s probably going to be some discussion online about this one. On the $1600 clue in 2 OF THE 3 LETTERS ARE VOWELS, it is apparent to me that the judges, by the fact that they did not take points away from Rachel, ruled that Rachel did say “ail” on that clue and not “ill”, in spite of what the closed captioning may claim. Closed captioning is not done by the show’s judges or own post-production staff, it is a service done these days by Los Angeles Distribution and Broadcasting, Inc. by a person who was not in studio at the time of taping, so occasional errors can creep in that way. Moreover, the judges have the ability to isolate each contestant’s audio specifically to determine precisely what was said, and that is a luxury that the home viewer does not have. I myself am perfectly satisfied by the judges’ decision, and I have spoken with others who also definitively heard “ail”.
I have no idea if the closed captioner goes back and changes things based on rulings from the judges, but I've noticed quite a few times where the captions accurately reflect a subtle mistake by the contestant that the judges catch later.
Yes, if I'd had the captioning on I would have definitely expected an overturned ruling, since those "errors" are usually accurate to reflect the judges' opinion.
The presence in Rachel's voice of both vocal fry and uptalking made it ambiguous, but I wouldn't rule against her...
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:31 pm Canadian writer took me first to Robertson Davies, whom I quickly rejected as not generally in the expected knowledge pool for Jeopardy. Next stop was Margaret Atwood and the other parts of the clue just fell into place. I had plenty of time to make sure that "this" was asking me for a title and not an author.
Yes, for J! purposes "famous Canadian novelist" has long defaulted to Atwood. Dozens of hits in the archive. Robertson Davies has 6 (with his name always in the clue), Mordecai Richler has 1.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Wow, what hit Haley! I thought she would stay a while. I knew it was Rachel's game from the FJ category - she seemed real strong at lit/cinema.

No firckin idea what Atwood is except where I get my chicken feed. I've heard "The Handmaid's Tale" and thought it was one of Chaucer's chapters. I don't know how you get this one short of reading the book - but someone mentioned a tv show, which is fair game. I could even read the book and not know I'd just read a dystopian novel unless it said within it "This is a dystopian story you are reading".

I thought she said "ill" and waited for the reversal. I couldn't pull ail, maybe would have answered "ale":).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Today was a bad J! day for me. Didn't blurt out some easy responses I should have, and had no good guess on FJ. Not only that, but for some reason I thought the clue was asking for the name of an author instead of a book..

Congrats to Rachel on her win. I know I was mostly complaining about John losing and being in last place on the ToC leaderboard yesterday, but Haley did well then and today.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Heh, of course the man got the Atwood FJ wrong.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 am
No firckin idea what Atwood is except where I get my chicken feed. I've heard "The Handmaid's Tale" and thought it was one of Chaucer's chapters. I don't know how you get this one short of reading the book - but someone mentioned a tv show, which is fair game. I could even read the book and not know I'd just read a dystopian novel unless it said within it "This is a dystopian story you are reading".
Beyond the TV show, women have been dressing up in the show's costume (red dress, cape, and hood) as a protest against various policies of the current American presidential administration. I didn't connect the dots in time for FJ, but it's got a lot of exposure lately.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:09 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:55 pm ...

Need a ruling: "Boo" as a 3-letter word for sweetheart, two of which are vowels? Like, I'm really really inclined to give myself credit, but maybe there's some subtlety I'm not picking up on.
My preference is to let others be the judge since I often overlook things that matter for a ruling. No one else has checked in so I will give "boo" a yes. Now it will take two negs to take away the get from your Coryat.

To me the word "new" is not enough to pin to "bae" or to eliminate "boo" and the requirement for length and vowel structure is met. Count "boo."
Ugh, I'm an idiot. I must have reflexively gone ahead and given myself credit for it in my scoring before later thinking "well, maybe..." and forgetting to adjust for that. Thanks for the catch.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mikebdoss wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:15 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 am
Beyond the TV show, women have been dressing up in the show's costume (red dress, cape, and hood) as a protest against various policies of the current American presidential administration. I didn't connect the dots in time for FJ, but it's got a lot of exposure lately.
Thanks for the tip. I'm a feminist at heart and mind, but have lost touch with the political movement and symbolism. Hillary's loss is a generational setback. Our TV is only on for Jeopardy, NFL football, golf majors, and maybe a rerun sitcom now and then. Funny the wiki confirmed my Chaucer leap of faith.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
billiej

Post by billiej »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:52 pm Wouldn't have gotten this with 50 guesses. Nothing in the clue was of any help.

Same here, unfortunately. I know zilch about The Handmaid's Tale other than it's a TV show that's gotten some awards. I wasted all 30 seconds trying to think if someone attempted a 1984 sequel.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Only missing 3 A.M., Eleventh Hour, Bicycle, and Deterrent.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Borden, The Birds, Explode, Thorns
Douglas Squasoni
Leander

Post by Leander »

The Handmaid’s Tale was also made into a mostly forgotten 1990 movie with a cast including Robert Duvall, Faye Dunaway and Natasha Richardson.
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

Were the writers trolling Jackie Fuchs with this clue?
When unripe, the fruit of the ackee tree can cause this state of low blood sugar, leading to coma & death
Jackie suffered a hypoglycemic event during her 5th game (which she lost). The production team had to stop tape for about 20 minutes while they determined what was happening.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

threearruda wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 pm Wasn't getting this Final in a million years either. Heard of Atwood and the novel/Hulu show in question, but that's about the extent of my knowledge of the work.
Agreed. For me, it is one of those "heard of, but know very little about it." The 1984 reference pointed to a future dystopia, but I knew nothing about the date of publication or the Canadian connection, and the name never came to mind. Blurted "Hunger Games" as time ran out for lack of anything better.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Leander wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:49 pm The Handmaid’s Tale was also made into a mostly forgotten 1990 movie with a cast including Robert Duvall, Faye Dunaway and Natasha Richardson.
Agree the movie was forgettable, with the exception of Natasha Richardson - quite a presence, and more than held her own with Robert Duvall at the height of his acting powers.

I personally think the book is forgettable as well: I read it when it came out and was quite underwhelmed. I also think the attempts to connect it to US politics are risible. IMHO, a much better take on the whole “religious dictatorship” theme, predating Atwood’s book by decades, is the Robert Heinlein novella If This Goes On -, but his vision turned out to be just as spectacularly wrong at predicting as Atwood’s.

Oh, instaget FJ for me.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 46,000
54 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Borden, The Birds, explode

FJ! was easy in retrospect, but I didn't make the jump from 1984 to dystopia. Maybe if I had caught on to the missing male pronouns bit that Mark mentioned.
Sprinkles are for winners.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

cthulhu wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:58 pm ...I also think the attempts to connect it to US politics are risible. IMHO, a much better take on the whole “religious dictatorship” theme, predating Atwood’s book by decades, is the Robert Heinlein novella If This Goes On -, but his vision turned out to be just as spectacularly wrong at predicting as Atwood’s.
We will see. We will see.

By then I expect to be outed (perhaps by a member of this board) and declared an enemy of the state.

Do not underestate the inclination of a base to decide that they must remain in control and, given the disinclination of that demo to reproduce sufficiently, that drastic actions are in order.
OCSam
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

I am a few weeks behind in watching Jeopardy! episodes stored on my DVR. Rachel DEFINITELY said "ill," and even if she said "ail" (which she didn't), Alex should have asked her to repeat her response to make sure of what she said. Alex did not do his job. I do NOT consider Rachel the rightful winner because she should have gone into Final Jeopardy with $3200 less (assuming she made the same wager on the Daily Double in the alternate universe in which she was ruled incorrect) and therefore behind Haley, who would have won. Alex should issue a mea culpa for not even asking Rachel to repeat her response to make sure she said "ail" (which she most definitely did NOT--I backed it up and rewatched it several times). If I were one of the judges, I might have let it slide on review because there is room for interpretation in what word she said; sometimes what is heard depends on the speaker's regional accent and you have to infer from the speaker's accent/pronunciation style to know for sure.

By not even asking Rachel to repeat her response so the judges could hear it again, Alex did a TERRIBLE job of hosting this show. Why doesn't Alex ever issue an apology when he royally screws up like this? Another example of when he screwed up is when he asked the contestant if he added an "s" to Burnside (he didn't, but he said he did because he thought Alex was implying that he should have).
A drop of golden sun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A drop of golden sun »

I got "The Handmaid's Tale" but I began writing with only about 5 seconds left in the music, not enough time to write it all down! I would have been ruled incorrect because the pen would have turned off before I completed it. If I had written "What is" while I was stumped I probably could have completed it!