Tuesday, January 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Alex only supplied the first name for the female protagonist in Dr. Zhivago. But I assume they wouldn't have a problem with accepting her full name, Lara Croft.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 pm I don't like this FJ clue because it is purely a YEKIOYD, and zero TOM to get you there. Give Nino credit for some game guesses. How did he resist putting up WTF, both as a guess and an emotion ;). I think the writers were throwing a bone to the nursing home demographic, who probably haven't got an FJ this year. This phrase is no longer iconic, and belongs with "23 Skidoo Street" and "the cats' pajamas" in the recycle bin. :lol:
I must respectfully disagree. I saw multiple points of entry (famous radio news report... about a disaster where something is burning... something that "moors" like a boat, but who can name a famous boat fire... ohhhh!) and while I'm no spring chicken I eat my dinner at no earlier than 6:30pm thank you very much! ;)

Supposedly the writers aim for a FJ with at least one miss, but not three. This one meets that mark. I liked it.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Another entry point on FJ is Les Nessman.

Everyone should know David Lean, he was one of the greats. Not only Lawrence of Arabia, but Dr. Zhivago, The Bridge on the River Kwai, In Which We Serve, A Passage to India, Oliver Twist, and Great Expectations, to name a few.
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

Precalled Hindenburg, but initially thought the clue was too obscure for the youngish contestants. Glad to have been wrong.

Long, long ago, Herb Morrison spoke to my first-year journalism class at WVU, where he helped establish the school's radio/TV unit. His broadcast, as many of you know, didn't air live but was recorded on disc for broadcast that night by WLS in Chicago. Morrison spoke of eluding German officials -- who didn't want his reportage heard -- before he and his engineer could catch their flight to Chicago.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I would honestly hope that quote would transcend demographics. It's pretty iconic in American history.

I've always wondered if "Oh, the humanity!" was an actual expression at the time or if it was just something he spit out in the heat of the moment. It is sort of a strange thing to say.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:33 pm got 2 of the 3 words correct for the final jeopardy clue...went with....oh the horror
Same here, but corrected the third word in plenty of time.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R (Missed Lou Grant, Alderman, Sunscreen, Skinny, Cajole, and Blazing Saddles.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Late Night Talk Show, Codes, Jefferson Davis, Lean, (Johannes Brahms), (Whitney), Raphael, (Great Pyramid of Giza), Saudi Arabia, Ming, Lara

Knew Nobel Peace Prize just from Carl von Ossietzky.
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

That reminds me, I knew sunscreen just from Mary Schmich.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Fleeboy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:40 am Precalled Hindenburg, but initially thought the clue was too obscure for the youngish contestants. Glad to have been wrong.

Long, long ago, Herb Morrison spoke to my first-year journalism class at WVU, where he helped establish the school's radio/TV unit. His broadcast, as many of you know, didn't air live but was recorded on disc for broadcast that night by WLS in Chicago. Morrison spoke of eluding German officials -- who didn't want his reportage heard -- before he and his engineer could catch their flight to Chicago.
This is interesting context, I just assumed it was live from a satellite truck, lol..

Another fun fact, although probably well known here is that the death rate would only make 4th place on a contemporary list of mass shootings. 62 people survived, with "only" 32 dead from assault rifles , semi-automatic weapons, sporting rifles the conflagration.

My earlier post about the YEKIOYD status only applied to the 3 words. You aren't going to tease them out, even given "that Hindenburg wienie roast". The expression may still endure as a meme, and the Shady Valley nursing home residents probably know it because they were on the airship. I'm fine with dinner at 4 PM as long as I can have breakfast at 9 PM :D .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've always been amazed that anyone survived it. When you see those pictures (and the film), you automatically assume everyone on board died.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:17 pm
My earlier post about the YEKIOYD status only applied to the 3 words. You aren't going to tease them out, even given "that Hindenburg wienie roast". The expression may still endure as a meme, and the Shady Valley nursing home residents probably know it because they were on the airship. I'm fine with dinner at 4 PM as long as I can have breakfast at 9 PM :D .
Dude, it's history. No one is asking trivia about 1930s or 1940s stuff and expecting people to know it today because they lived it. Yes it's YEKIOYD but it's quite famous. To quote everyone who has ever spoken to TPH, "sometimes you just have to know stuff."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:39 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:17 pm
Dude, it's history. No one is asking trivia about 1930s or 1940s stuff and expecting people to know it today because they lived it. Yes it's YEKIOYD but it's quite famous. To quote everyone who has ever spoken to TPH, "sometimes you just have to know stuff."
And this one I just happened to know. I've heard the term "oh, the humanity", but somehow I just knew that it was made famous by the Hindenburg disaster. And if even I know it, and it's not something that would only appeal to me like "when did the Sears close at Bay City Mall", or "what was Garth Brooks' most recent #1 hit" or "what species does Violent J's daughter has as her fursona", then it's probably not that obscure.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For the love of all that is good and holy, TPTB, when you have a word-using-the-letters-in-another-word category, leave the word up on the screen somewhere. Those categories just plain suck otherwise.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:43 am For the love of all that is good and holy, TPTB, when you have a word-using-the-letters-in-another-word category, leave the word up on the screen somewhere. Those categories just plain suck otherwise.
That wouldn't have helped me one iota on "peak too soon".
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 19,800
36 R/4 W
DD: 0/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: talk show, Lean, Saudi Arabia, Lara

This was not my game at all. Just yuck. At least FJ! was a breeze.

Any Texan will tell you that the only fully correct response to the Fries $400 clue is "What is a Fletcher's Corny Dog?"
Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 pm I'm going to throw a flag on the clue for "empanada". References seem to agree that the term is derived from the verb "empanar", to (encase in) bread. I had always assumed that that was the etymology, though I had never looked it up. So I thought a clue mentioning rolling/frying had to be referring to something else.
Seconded. Precisely why I clammed.
Sprinkles are for winners.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:43 am For the love of all that is good and holy, TPTB, when you have a word-using-the-letters-in-another-word category, leave the word up on the screen somewhere. Those categories just plain suck otherwise.
The show must have a Fenway Park / Wrigley Field Scoreboard mentality concerning viewer friendly graphics. I watch for the brain candy, but they are wasting the chance for viewers to get engaged in the competition and have rooting interests. Why don't they put a small scoreboard graphic up there? Most the time I don't know there's a good horse race going on until it is over, even with Alex's occasional comments. At least I'd be able to see who uses my athletic sports strategy of starting slow and gradually tapering off!

Your scramlet graphic would be helpful also, but I still won't make an effort.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.