Introduce Yourself Here

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Introduce Yourself Here

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Hi, my name is Douglas Squasoni. I live in New Jersey very close to the New York border. I am in my third year of college. In addition to being an avid watcher of Jeopardy! and WWTBAM, I am also an avid QuizUp player and an avid watcher of University Challenge and Only Connect. I have also participated in over 1000 quizzes in Alpaca Farm. I really love Art and World History, but I am majoring in Mathematics since they have the most variety of jobs. Also, I do not enjoy writing essays. I have an odd interest in clocks, candles, and bridges. I also really love fluffy animals.

I am on the Autistic spectrum. I am not a very social person in real life. I tend to be socially awkward when I do talk to people. However, I have always been a good student. I have never missed a single college lecture in any of my classes as of now. :D

I am never planning to be on Jeopardy!, although I've been having an ambition of soaking in more knowledge everyday.

EDIT: No longer on QuizUp. Left the game January 26, 2021. Game was discontinued March 22, 2021.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Welcome, Douglas! Thanks for being here!
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:42 pm Hi, my name is Douglas Squasoni. I live in New Jersey very close to the New York border. I am in my third year of college. In addition to being an avid watcher of Jeopardy! and WWTBAM, I am also an avid QuizUp player and an avid watcher of University Challenge. I have also participated in over 1000 quizzes in Alpaca Farm. I really love Art and World History, but I am majoring in Mathematics since they have the most variety of jobs. Also, I do not enjoy writing essays. I have an odd interest in clocks, candles, and bridges. I also really love fluffy animals.

I am on the Autistic spectrum. I am not a very social person in real life. I tend to be socially awkward when I do talk to people. However, I have always been a good student. I have never missed a single college lecture in any of my classes as of now. :D

I am never planning to be on Jeopardy!, although I've been having an ambition of soaking in more knowledge everyday.
Hey Douglas, thanks for introducing yourself. Can I ask why you're not planning to be on Jeopardy? Mostly just curious. But if social awkwardness/ anxiety is part of it, I can say that at least for me (speaking as another Aspie) that stuff all got a lot smoother for me as I approached age 30; some of the change had to do with my own unusual circumstances but I think some was biological, too. For whatever that's worth.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Saturnalia wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:39 pm Hey Douglas, thanks for introducing yourself. Can I ask why you're not planning to be on Jeopardy? Mostly just curious. But if social awkwardness/ anxiety is part of it, I can say that at least for me (speaking as another Aspie) that stuff all got a lot smoother for me as I approached age 30; some of the change had to do with my own unusual circumstances but I think some was biological, too. For whatever that's worth.
My reasons:

1. I live on the other side of the country and I do not like going on planes.

2. I have a routine schedule that I do not want to change.

3. There is too much pressure at stake when you are on the show. It is extremely different from playing at home.

4. You don't always get to answer the questions you know.

5. I will always have the about-to-be wildcard during the SHC. 8-)
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:03 pm 3. There is too much pressure at steak when you are on the show.
I like steak.
LucarioSnooperVixey

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:04 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:03 pm 3. There is too much pressure at steak when you are on the show.
I like steak.
Oops wrong word. That won't make the cut. Or should I say entrecote. 8-) :lol:
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:03 pm
Saturnalia wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:39 pm Hey Douglas, thanks for introducing yourself. Can I ask why you're not planning to be on Jeopardy? Mostly just curious. But if social awkwardness/ anxiety is part of it, I can say that at least for me (speaking as another Aspie) that stuff all got a lot smoother for me as I approached age 30; some of the change had to do with my own unusual circumstances but I think some was biological, too. For whatever that's worth.
My reasons:

1. I live on the other side of the country and I do not like going on planes.

channel your inner john madden and take a bus
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I don't know if I've properly posted in this thread yet.

You can all call me Jay. I'm 26 now, from Canada, and while I started watching/following on a non-regular basis prior to Season 22, around then is when I'd say I became a real fan.

Along with J!, I am also a fan and have a ton of knowledge of shows such as Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother, and America's Got Talent. Lately I've been getting more into WWTBAM as well. Mainly reality shows. I've even been an admin on the wiki for one of those shows.

Favorite movies include Memento from 2000. Music, plenty of sorts. I'd say music is also one of my strong suits when it comes to trivia.

Speaking of J! though, I don't think I'd be able to be a contestant. Not just because of my mediocre stats a lot of you have witnessed on here, but due to a number of other factors as well, such as lack of life stories, personal challenges, and so on. Never been on TV anyway. I have been to bar trivia nights a few times in the past. Usually as a soloist. Never won.

I also have a semi-regular YouTube show that involves script writing. Again, a solo thing.

And in case anybody is wondering, this is where my current avatar is from:

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

JayK33 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:17 am I don't know if I've properly posted in this thread yet.

You can all call me Jay. I'm 26 now, from Canada, and while I started watching/following on a non-regular basis prior to Season 22, around then is when I'd say I became a real fan.

Along with J!, I am also a fan and have a ton of knowledge of shows such as Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother, and America's Got Talent. Lately I've been getting more into WWTBAM as well. Mainly reality shows. I've even been an admin on the wiki for one of those shows.

Favorite movies include Memento from 2000. Music, plenty of sorts. I'd say music is also one of my strong suits when it comes to trivia.

Speaking of J! though, I don't think I'd be able to be a contestant. Not just because of my mediocre stats a lot of you have witnessed on here, but due to a number of other factors as well, such as lack of life stories, personal challenges, and so on. Never been on TV anyway. I have been to bar trivia nights a few times in the past. Usually as a soloist. Never won.

I also have a semi-regular YouTube show that involves script writing. Again, a solo thing.

And in case anybody is wondering, this is where my current avatar is from:

Thanks for this! I'm currently in week 8 of physical therapy for shoulder impingement and this helps explain why the therapist is torturing me to bend in unnatural positions :). And I thought he was just a sadist! It is incredible how imaginative people can be.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I suppose I should pop in.

I'm Kurt, and I'm closer to the end than the beginning of a Ph.D. in Russian history. In the (admittedly unlikely) event that anyone cares/is interested, I study religious minorities, conscientious objection, and migration in the late Russian Empire/early post-revolutionary period. My dissertation examines the emigration of several thousand members of one branch of a Christian movement known as Dukhobors to Canada around 1900, with a focus on the networks that arose to support them in their migration or that they took advantage of, and the ways in which they were able to maintain both personal and conceptual connections with their home country. I'll be travelling to Ottawa in about a month for another segment of archival research, and I'm really looking forward to it (never been there before, and it's reasonably close to Montreal and Toronto, both of which I've also never visited).

Beyond that, I keep busy with way too many different things. When I can take a weekend off I like to camp, and when I can't I'll try to set aside a few hours for one of my other hobbies. In particular, I am a hobbyist (and probably not very good, but hey, I'm doing it for me) computer programmer, working on a few projects right now: a roguelike computer game, a data management and visualization tool for researchers in humanities fields, and a tracker for Microsoft Flight Simulator (oh, I also waste way too much money flying pictures of planes around a pretend world on the computer). I also conworld, and I like to emphasize the complexity and mutability of religious and oral traditions in the societies and lives I imagine and create. And I try to set aside at least an hour every night for pleasure reading--my tastes there are all over the place; right now I'm reading Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis (my second-favorite American writer, after Willa Cather). I have an amateur radio license, though I haven't done anything with it in years.

Also, I bake all my own bread. Started about two years ago, never look back.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:25 am Thanks for this! I'm currently in week 8 of physical therapy for shoulder impingement and this helps explain why the therapist is torturing me to bend in unnatural positions :). And I thought he was just a sadist! It is incredible how imaginative people can be.
I discovered them a few months ago, despite only being televised on the last season of America's Got Talent for a grand total of literally about four seconds. May not have fared well on that show, but they are great in my opinion. One of the more unique dance groups I've seen.

This is probably my favorite video of theirs:

Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Hello, my name is Jackson. I live near Philadelphia, as you can probably guess by my username, and will be turning 17 in two weeks. This is my first account on a message board, so if I make a mistake, I’m sorry. I am a casual watcher of jeopardy, getting 15 to 20 right most episodes and about half of all final jeopardy clues. I also want to say thanks to the moderator who resolved an issue with my password and allowed me to join :D
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 am Also, I bake all my own bread. Started about two years ago, never look back.
So cool! But I can't imagine turning on the oven again until at least October!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:51 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:41 am Also, I bake all my own bread. Started about two years ago, never look back.
how about turning on the TD machine before then?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:56 pm
morbeedo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:51 pm
how about turning on the TD machine before then?
Really bruh?
Kwing_Lan_Au_Yeung
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Kwing_Lan_Au_Yeung »

Hello everyone, I’m Kwing Lan from the land of the one MLB team and lone NBA franchise (better known in some circles as Canada).

I’ve been a Jeopardy! fan for a few years now and quite enjoy the show even though I get stumped more often than not by the clues. (I don’t keep stats for my ‘success’ rate because I don’t think it’d be good for my self-esteem.) :lol:

I’m a movie buff who probably spends more time reading about films and listening to movie podcasts than I do watching films. (Is that weird? Am I alone here?) As a result, I tend to do better in any category that’s film-related than anything else.

I don’t know how often I’ll be contributing to this board, but I just wanted to drop by to say hi to everyone.
Fugefan
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Fugefan »

Greetings to all! I’m Betsy from Indiana. I’ve been lurking on this board off and on for several years. I record Jeopardy daily (it comes on at 3:30 PM here) and my husband and I watch them together when we can, which is hopefully that evening but often means a weekend binge. I keep a pretty low profile so don’t post much anywhere I go but do enjoy reading many of the comments and impressions of others!
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

Hi, I'm Christine. I met a bunch of you at Trivia Nationals. I have 6 months left officially in the contestant pool, keeping my fingers crossed for a call! I don't have a lot to say here, but enjoy the Jeopardy and Learned League discussions.
ohiomathtchr
Contributor

Post by ohiomathtchr »

I have lurked here for years but have posted only a few times, for some reason. I have attended TCONA/Trivia Nationals for the last 5 years. Last year, I passed the Millionaire test and went as far as filling tax paperwork. Alas, it is gone. I passed the Jeopardy test at Trivia Nationals last month, and am in the pool until February 2021. I am also in A Continental in LearnedLeague.
Maggie, call me.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

ohiomathtchr wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:20 pm Last year, I passed the Millionaire test and went as far as filling tax paperwork.
Now I don't feel so bad. I made it through the second interview portion and was told they wanted to put me on the show... then never heard another word from then.