Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr »

acthomas wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:17 pm Yes, credit to crosswords for ERNE.
I knew the word from crosswords, but not the animal type! Made me think fish. Glad it wasn't in my stack.
But the clue is almost always, "Sea eagle".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:10 pm Another contestant leaves empty-handed after getting bamboozled by the Audience. Even more painful was that her gut said Pepperidge Farm cookies and initially was going to lock it in but decided to go with the Audience at the last second. :?

I've been to Lake Tahoe, and I didn't even think that was a National Park. I got the answer because I recalled Sausalito being a type of cookie.
Yes. She (and her father, who was her Plus One) were in our taping group last Summer, as were the two guys on before her. She and her dad are such nice people that I was really hoping for a better outcome. And to be misled by the audience is doubly painful. I was sure that the audience would get that one right. :shock:
Woof

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 am
I knew the word from crosswords, but not the animal type! Made me think fish. Glad it wasn't in my stack.
This. Exactly this.
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

Forgive me for mentally mixing it up with "chicken of the sea".
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Louis Anderson is playing for charity today.

His $5,000 question is an exact copy of a question that is in the WWTBAM Wii game.

When food goes "down the wrong pipe", instead of your esophagus, it goes down your what?
A: Aorta B: Trachea C: Cerebellum D: Spleen

Answer: B: Trachea
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

acthomas wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:45 pm
Forgive me for mentally mixing it up with "chicken of the sea".
If only you'd asked any mermaid you happened to see.
LucarioSnooperVixey

Seriously Brian? You went to Florence, but you didn't go to the UFFIZI!?! It is literally the most important site in the city.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:48 pm Seriously Brian? You went to Florence, but you didn't go to the UFFIZI!?! It is literally the most important site in the city.
What about his European statement that was something about there are only two countries in Europe not around anymore. One is Czechoslovakia and one is Yugoslavia. They are now the Czech Republic and Slovakia. :lol:

I know if I had been in the audience I would have had to purposely pick a wrong answer on the archery question after his instructions. Only 70% sure then don't vote. Chris made me laugh with his, "marching orders" quip.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I know where Uffizi is because of Phish. Their song "You Enjoy Myself" only has four different words listed in their album notes, but they repeatedly intone a gibberish-y line long debated among fans until a magazine article revealed it as "Washa Uffizi, drive me to Firenze." ("Uffizi" pronounced as "you feetsie," so the line might be interpreted as a punning exhortation, in a bad Italian accent, to wash one's feet.)
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:48 pm Seriously Brian? You went to Florence, but you didn't go to the UFFIZI!?! It is literally the most important site in the city.
I'm guilty of that. The lines were super long, we only had 2 days in town, and I was exhausted. There is a lot to do there especially if you're more into history than art.
Woof

Post by Woof »

That, I think, is debatable. The Ponte Vecchio may be the most visited/viewed tourist site in the city, along with Il Duomo. And the Pitti Palace houses a number of other important art museums. That being said, there was no way I was missing the Ufiizi when I was there.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I like how Mr. "Don't vote if you're only 70% sure" was okay risking $15,000 on an answer he was 80% sure on.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i have traveled to many places in the world and never really went to touristy places....when i was in rome i surely didn't do as the romans do...never went to the vatican, never saw the trevi fountain, only time isaw the colosseum was when the hotel shuttle drove past it en route to the hotel..i didn't even eat italian food when i was there..about the only thing mainstream i have done in my travels was see the great wall and forbidden city when i was in china....hell even went to siem reap, cambodia and didnt even go to angkor wat...and there isn't much else in that town besides that place
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:07 pm I like how Mr. "Don't vote if you're only 70% sure" was okay risking $15,000 on an answer he was 80% sure on.
well I guess he was over his threshold of 70%...

I happen to know a better method of weeding out audience members who don't know the answer, but I've heard from a few people that producers tell contestants not to try it :)
Total game show career losings = $171,522
LucarioSnooperVixey

Knew today's $100,000 question from the 18th and 19th Century topic in QuizUp. The AP Knowledge topic has the same question, only it has the answer as 19th century which probably wouldn't have been helpful.
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That state question with Miss/Mass was painful to watch. Even the audience was happy that it was over.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:00 am That state question with Miss/Mass was painful to watch. Even the audience was happy that it was over.
ended up fast forwarding to get rid of it...was frustrating...i normally only fast forward through the 1st 2 questions, but in this case this question needed to be done as well
PsycPhdStudent
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by PsycPhdStudent »

My episode airs today. Not my finest moment— fire away with criticism
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

PsycPhdStudent wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am My episode airs today. Not my finest moment— fire away with criticism
I added a couple of lines to your J! bio:http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11090

The money amount will be filled in tomorrow or Saturday as I like to give viewers a chance to watch.

Spoiling comments about today's episode. You gave permission.
Spoiler
Ode to Joy, The William Tell Overture and The Four Seasons are not obscure and certainly should be known to a J! champ. It's not a current music question really asking someone to know Alica Key's discography. It's more which one of these is not like the others. Audience lifeline wasted though helpful.

The +1 is supposed to help, right? The right logic for who to consider and who not to consider for the pardoning of draft dodgers did seem to come through with all of the scrambled discussion. Nixon, Ford, Carter & Reagan were the right choices to have at the $10K level. To use or not to use the 50:50 came into play.

Who would have been left? Unknown unless you asked and were told.

Monday morning quarterbacking is easy. The what if game can't be fun. If you had got by it then $20K with no lifelines. Could have known it or been stumped again. Walk or guess. My impression, knowing nothing about you, is that you came across as more likely to guess and leave with $5K at some point than to walk with 10K if you had made it there. Walking with $7K? Live a little and go for it. That you did.

You have made more than $20K on two different game show appearances and the title of J! champion has no expiration date.

Okay, why not a little salt on the wound? The contestant that followed you
Spoiler
has made it through the $10K Q with all lifelines remaining. Ouch!
PsycPhdStudent
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by PsycPhdStudent »

Spoiler
Really kicked myself over the Alicia Keys question. Of course I knew the other pieces of classical music--- I just became a deer in the headlights with the Alicia Keys piece (which I had told myself over and over again to not become discouraged by the questions and to look for backdoor solving opportunities). In fact, the whole experience, I froze up a bit. Definitely doesn't allow you to "flow" like Jeopardy. My gut feeling was Carter on that last question-- can't fault my plus one's line of reasoning. Also, regret leaving a lifeline on the board. So much easier playing other people's stacks at home.