Thursday, January 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:07 pm Guessed Mariah Carey, mostly because I remember her film Glitter was set in NYC. (And I only remember that because it was filmed pre-9/11 but came out post. I remember reading about the decision to leave the Twin Towers in the movie and how people* cheered when they showed up.)
*Citation needed

*On any theater showing Glitter having more than one person in it
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

bkellysky wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:41 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:15 pm I had no clue that Mariah Carey is from NY. Couldn't think of anyone.

Oh yeah ... Star Trek???!
I wonder if they were flashing to another Twilight Zone episode, also involving an aircraft, with William Shatner: "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet".
It wasn't what the question asked for, but I recognized the connection.

bob
also had serling in the clue which is what led me to the correct response
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:53 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:07 pm Guessed Mariah Carey, mostly because I remember her film Glitter was set in NYC. (And I only remember that because it was filmed pre-9/11 but came out post. I remember reading about the decision to leave the Twin Towers in the movie and how people* cheered when they showed up.)
*Citation needed

http://decentfilms.com/articles/septemb ... -hollywood
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:37 pm Only potential wrong answer that came to my mind was JLo, but...no friggin' way.
Mariah Carey was my pre-call, but I ended up putting Lopez because I didn't know Carey was from New York.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:13 am
*Citation needed

I'll take THINGS THAT WENT OVER YOUR HEAD for $200 please, Alex...
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:37 pm Only potential wrong answer that came to my mind was JLo, but...no friggin' way.
Mariah Carey was my pre-call, but I ended up putting Lopez because I didn't know Carey was from New York.
Lol. You don't need to know she was from New York. Probably best to pick the person you pre-called who had a zillion number one songs in the 90s over the person whose music career began in 1999.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 43,400
52 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Miracle Worker, John F. Kennedy

Let us all learn from the mistake brought about by Joan's (completely understandable) confusion: once you have rung in, it's always better to say something than to say nothing.

Then again, sometimes that strategy leads to embarrassment. I rang in to give the name of the composer biopic, couldn't think of it, and went with Beethoven. That is a...different movie.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:22 am That said: MISCELLANEOUS had a fun thing going that people might have noticed more had the category been taken entirely in order.
I wouldn't have noticed it except that it occurred to me when I made a note to grouse about the writers thinking Rama was appropriate at the $400 level.

For those who didn't catch it, the responses in the category were:
Spoiler
llama
Rama
lama
ramen
ding-dong
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:33 pm Forgot to mention, I said "California seagull" when they were looking for "California gull". I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear on that one.
Definitely.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:51 am
*Citation needed

well if the "funny dude" would have put his "humourous comment" in a bigger font i would have been able to see the intended sarcasm
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:18 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:51 am
*Citation needed

well if the "funny dude" would have put his "humourous comment" in a bigger font i would have been able to see the intended sarcasm
I achieved the intended result.

the "smart dude" took the bait.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:01 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 am
Lol. You don't need to know she was from New York. Probably best to pick the person you pre-called who had a zillion number one songs in the 90s over the person whose music career began in 1999.
Well, yeah. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

JLo starred in some tv & movies in the 90’s but her first music wasn’t released until 1999. I grew up on Long Island & returned there so I knew it was Mariah Crazy. I worked with someone who knew her in high school. I was on a long drive several months ago & Sirius had some odd show devoted to her career. I liked her early stuff but they acted like she was the greatest singer ever. Easy week of FJs.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:44 am JLo starred in some tv & movies in the 90’s but her first music wasn’t released until 1999. I grew up on Long Island & returned there so I knew it was Mariah Crazy. I worked with someone who knew her in high school. I was on a long drive several months ago & Sirius had some odd show devoted to her career. I liked her early stuff but they acted like she was the greatest singer ever. Easy week of FJs.
the show beat shazam loves her as well...whenever they have a diva category it is almost carey or houston
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:15 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:22 am That said: MISCELLANEOUS had a fun thing going that people might have noticed more had the category been taken entirely in order.
I wouldn't have noticed it except that it occurred to me when I made a note to grouse about the writers thinking Rama was appropriate at the $400 level.

Spoiler
llama
Rama
lama
ramen
ding-dong
That is awesome! Thanks for drawing our attention to it, guys. Props to the writer that came up with that. That said, I think BigDaddyMatty's right about the relative difficulty of Rama. Maybe switch that one with the ramen clue? The joke still works.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:15 am
Spoiler
llama
Rama
lama
ramen
ding-dong
Kudos to the writers, and to you as well for catching that.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 pm trebek is such a douche....because someone is from idaho they shouldn't know that mariah carey is from new york? wtf does the state from which someone hails have to do with not getting that clue?
In all honesty, my finger was poised over the delete button because of the uncivil tone you used (which is nothing new), so you really shouldn't be surprised that someone called you out on it. There are better ways to state your opinion.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm
NHO "merchant copy" either. That seemed very generational. What kind of backward Luddite business is still handing out paper receipts in 2019?!
Every restaurant on Long Island - most tips are added onto the merchant copy. Supermarkets, drug stores, hardware stores, unless you ask for an email receipt or use ApplePay. Come to think of it, just about every place that takes credit cards at least offers paper receipts.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DavidRosen wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:38 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:48 pm
NHO "merchant copy" either. That seemed very generational. What kind of backward Luddite business is still handing out paper receipts in 2019?!
Every restaurant on Long Island - most tips are added onto the merchant copy. Supermarkets, drug stores, hardware stores, unless you ask for an email receipt or use ApplePay. Come to think of it, just about every place that takes credit cards at least offers paper receipts.
Thinking about this, I'm sure I've seen it called "Store..." or "Retailer Copy" sometimes, it's not always 'Merchant's'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Farrelly, Gull(Also negged with Condor.), Rothlisberger, John Gruben, Merchant Copy, and Sympathetic Strings.)
LT: Rama, Boccie, The Miracle Worker, Immortal Beloved, John F. Kennedy, Bouzouki
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:04 pm 54 R (Missed Farrelly, Gull(Also negged with Condor.), Rothlisberger, John Gruben, Merchant Copy, and Sympathetic Strings.)
LT: Rama, Boccie, The Miracle Worker, Immortal Beloved, John F. Kennedy, Bouzouki
If J! ever did football QB & coaches spelling it looks like you would be in a world of trouble. ;)