Tuesday, February 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7922, 2019-02-05

CONTESTANTS
John Fowle, a landscaper from New Orleans, Louisiana
Jade Ryan, a student from Gainesville, Florida
Will Dawson, a tour guide from Washington, D.C. (whose 2-day cash winnings total $55,002)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hey, folks, he won big at the end of last week. He won big at the beginning of this week--yesterday. Can our champion, Will, keep it going as we welcome Jade and John? It's almost, John, as if I'm looking at somebody from the Bible.

[Laughter]

Alex: I mean, it blows me away. All right, good luck, players. Here we go. Categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TV: WHO PLAYED 'EM? (4/5)
HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING PEOPLES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FROM B TO C (5/5)
THE 10 PLAGUES OF EGYPT (3/5)
FAR OUT, MAN (3/5)
GIRL SCOUT COOKIES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
John: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Will: 10 R, 3 W
Jade: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
John found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Will had $200, Jade was scoreless, and John was at $1,000. John made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING PEOPLES $800: In the 1930s Leonard Howell established this religion in Jamaica

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
John: $3,400
Will: $2,200
Jade: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: John Fowle is a landscaper from Louisiana. And John, at the beginning of our program, I made reference to your appearance. But obviously, I'm not the only one who noticed this magnificent head of hair. Is it true a wigmaker offered to buy your hair?

John: Yes, that's true. We met by chance through a mutual friend. I asked her, "What do you do?" We started talking about that. Toward the end of the conversation, she said, "You know, if you're not attached to your hair, you know, I have an opportunity for you."

Alex: And how much money are we talking about? Or was she talking about?

John: Oh, I don't like to say. It sounds like bragging.

Alex: Valuable hair. Something to fall back on if ever you need it.

Alex: Jade Ryan is a student from Gainesville, Florida. Now, what's this about your manager doesn't know your work schedule is planned around...

Jade: Around watching Patriots games. I said schoolwork, which is also involved, but I said, also, "I need Sundays to practice my religion." Which happens to revolve around watching football.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Will Dawson is our champion, folks. A tour guide from Washington. We havne't talked about your guiding. Where do you do this?

Will: Yeah, so I work at the National Geographic Museum. I help lead tours of our exhibits. I help answer any questions, do a lot of general upkeep and all that.

Alex: I spend a lot of time, as you know, at the National Geographic Society. Great place to visit.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV: WHO PLAYED 'EM? $800: Gemma on "Sons of Anarchy" & Peg on "Married... With Children"
(Will: Who is Bates?)

FAR OUT, MAN $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows the Pacific Ocean on the monitor.) A spot in the Pacific is so remote that word space agencies use it as a dumping area because there's little chance of endangering humans; it's named Point this after a literary captain whose name means "no one" in Latin

FAR OUT, MAN $1000: This Longfellow poem takes you away to Acadia, to a "distant, secluded...little village of Grand Pre"

THE 10 PLAGUES OF EGYPT $400: The third plague was these parasitic arthropods that also plague kids in the classroom
(Jade: What are locusts?)
(Will: What are cockroaches?)

THE 10 PLAGUES OF EGYPT $600: In the seventh plague, this rained "upon the land of Egypt", breaking "every tree of the field"
(Will: What are frogs?)

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES $1000: Savannah Smiles are named after the city where this woman was born in 1860
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
John: $7,200
Will: $3,000
Jade: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SCIENCE FICTION (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SUCCESSION (5/5)
CLASSIC MOVIES IN 3 SENTENCES (5/5)
THE L.A. PHILHARMONIC AT 100 (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EXPRESS YOURSELF (5/5)
SUNNY "D" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Will: 17 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 2 W
John: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jade: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Will snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Will had $9,000, Jade had $1,800, and John was at $8,000. Will wagered $1,000.

THE L.A. PHILHARMONIC AT 100 $800: Site of the 1st outdoor recording by any symphony orchestra, this amphitheater in the Hills is the Phil's summer home

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Will who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Will had $18,800, Jade had $1,400, and John was at $8,000. Will wagered $1,000.

SCIENCE FICTION $1200: As well as playing in the "Dune"s, this sci-fi author penned "The White Plague", about a mad scientist's quest for revenge

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCIENCE FICTION $2000: Part slavery memoir, part time-traveling fantasy, this Octavia Butler novel has a title that's a synonym for family

SCIENCE FICTION $1600: "The White Dragon" is one of Anne McCaffrey's novels about this alien planet & its sentient flying reptiles

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Will: $21,400
John: $13,600
Jade: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 19th CENTURY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Will: Wager $5,801 to cover John, but no more than $12,199 so as not to fall behind Jade's doubled score.
John: You have the hope of surpassing Will if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,801 to force Will to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $4,399 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Jade.
Jade: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In his autobiography, Buffalo Bill Cody remembered this venture as "a relay race against time"

FINAL SCORES
Jade: $4,600 - $4,599 = $1 (What is gunfight at OK Corral?) (3rd place: $1,000)
John: $13,600 - $12,600 = $1,000 (What is the Ideterod?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Will: $21,400 - $5,801 = $15,599 (What is the transcontinental railroad) (3-day champion: $70,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Will: $21,400, 27 R (including 2 DDs), 5 W
John: $13,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jade: $4,600, 10 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $39,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Will: 27/60 = .450
John: 15/59 = .254
Jade: 10/58 = .172
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORY OF THE ENGLISH-SPEAKING PEOPLES $600: Rob Ford, on the left, was a controversial Toronto mayor; brother Doug was elected premier of this province in 2018

GIRL SCOUT COOKIES $800: They're the refreshing bestsellers seen here

THE L.A. PHILHARMONIC AT 100 $1200: In 1970 Frank Zappa said, "Zubin, hit it!" & the Phil played Zappa's "200 Motels" at this university's Pauley Pavilion
(Jade: What is USC?)

SUCCESSION $1200: He was next up after Anthony Kennedy sent himself to the bench from the Supreme Court bench
(Jade: Who is Scalia?)

SUCCESSION $1600: Whitelaw Reid succeeded Horace Greeley as editor of this New York "T"--not Times

EXPRESS YOURSELF $400: It can mean to tangle up or to growl viciously, especially with the teeth bared like an animal
(Will: What is gnash?)

EXPRESS YOURSELF $2000: To imitate, or to deride; it was done to Jesus, according to Luke 22:63
(Will: What is scorn?)

SUNNY "D" $1600: Seen here is a prisoner's hut on this tropical island, part of French Guiana

CORRECT RESPONSES
Rastafarianism
Katey Sagal
Point Nemo
"Evangeline"
lice
hail
Juliette Gordon Low
the Hollywood Bowl
Frank Herbert
Kindred
Pern
the Pony Express
Ontario
Thin Mints
UCLA
(Brett) Kavanaugh
the Tribune
snarl
mock
Devil's Island
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 19th CENTURY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In his autobiography, Buffalo Bill Cody remembered this venture as “a relay race against time”

Will Dawson: 21400-5801=15599 (3x = $70,601)
Jade Ryan: 4600-4599=1
John Fowle: 13600-12600=1000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pony Express (Will – Transcontinental Railroad) (Jade – Gunfight at OK Corral) (John – Ideterod)

Daily Doubles
John: 1000+1000
Will: 9000+1000
Will: 18800+1000

Coryats
Will: 21400
Jade: 4600
John: 13400

Combined: 39,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Will: 3000
Jade: 1800
John: 7200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

5/5 for me in GIRL SCOUT COOKIES and I would hope so since I have four boxes in stock. I refuse to buy the $6 ones that cost an extra buck in the $200 box clue.

FAR OUT, MAN $200 was a TS while this FJ! clue version of some of the same material went 1/3:

#7621, aired 2017-10-30 19th CENTURY LITERATURE: This 1870 novel has a ship whose name is from the Greek for "sailor" & a captain whose name is Latin for "no one"

Will played DD2 & DD3 in boxes worth $2000 total. His wagers added up to $2000 as well. A runaway? Nope. His lead was good enough to win on a TS clue though.

I turned the FJ! clue into a TV one in recalling the series when Stephen Baldwin played Cody. It was not until Alex gave his pre-reveal remark that I realized the clue may have been 0/3. During think time I saw Will writing quickly and thought he had it until I noticed he was still writing.

If John had been right it would have been no fun for anyone for judging “Ideterod” close enough to Iditarod or not.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:30 am Will played DD2 & DD3 in boxes worth $2000 total. His wagers added up to $2000 as well. A runaway? Nope. His lead was good enough to win on a TS clue though.
Will was much too conservative on those Daily Doubles.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Not sure how this was a TS. Guy famous for being a horseman talks about a relay - maybe involving horses?

Will lucks out and lives to play another day. (But for the horse connection, the transcontinental railroad wasn’t a horrible guess).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Absolutely no recognition on the TV category.

I thought "Nemo" was obscure for the top box.

I have lots of gamer friends, but none of them play "No Man's Sky".

I've heard of the plagues of Egypt themselves, but still went 0/5 in that category. Blood to water, lice, and hail were all unfamiliar to me.

I think Girl Scout cookies are disgusting, so I went 0/5 there.

Also didn't recognize the bottom 3 in B to C. Bucolic?!?

What was the TOM for Mozart at $400?

"Poet laureate" was an actual post? I thought it was just an informal term, like "king of pop".

And somehow in all of this, I managed to get a triple stumper FJ! right. Go me.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,200
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Katey Sagal, Point Nemo, hail, Juliette Gordon Low

Call me immature if you will--you would not be wrong in so doing--but I had to giggle at the fact that the J! round ended with Balzac, while DJ! ended with Djibouti.

Bakersfield in the house! Shout-out to my hometown!
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:28 pm And somehow in all of this, I managed to get a triple stumper FJ! right. Go me.
Excellent! This was a great "thinker." What clues did you pick up on that led you to the correct response?
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:59 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:28 pm And somehow in all of this, I managed to get a triple stumper FJ! right. Go me.
Excellent! This was a great "thinker." What clues did you pick up on that led you to the correct response?
Old West, guy who's probably worked with horses. Something fast done in the old West with horses?
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I floundered on FJ, finally settling on the Transcontinental Railroad. The Pony Express popped into my mind at the very last moment. I wouldn't have had time to change my answer, so I'm counting it as a neg.
Teems with quiet fun.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:11 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:59 pm
Old West, guy who's probably worked with horses. Something fast done in the old West with horses?
Very well solved. Keep trying to do that, and try not to get frustrated when it doesn't quite come together or you don't know enough to make the leap.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

BOO CHEATING NEW ENGLAND CHEATING TRAITORS!

Oh, good, the only Girl Scout cookies I like (Peanut Butter Sandwich) got a shout-out.

No Man's Sky seems like one of those games that might be good someday, but not today.

My first exposure to Balzac came after wondering just who, exactly, Mrs. Paroo was talking about when she was singing to Marian during Winthrop's piano lesson.

Getting to attend performances of the L.A. Phil under Dudamel is definitely the best part about living in Southern California.

I can't hear the name "Xanadu" without thinking of the Rush song. It even comes before the Coleridge poem.

The theme music from North by Northwest might be the best use of 3/8 time ever.

Ugh. I can't hear that smug, unrepentant serial sexual abuser's name without wanting to barf. Rich-white-dude entitlement syndrome personified.

Coryat: $43,800

J: 26R4P. Got DD. 5/5 on History, B to C, 10 Plagues, and Cookies. 4/5 on TV. 2/5 on Far Out.

DJ: 25R5P. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Succession, Classic Movies, and LA Phil. 4/5 on Express Yourself and Sunny. 2/5 on Science Fiction.

FJ: Instaget. Kinda shocked it was a triple stumper.

LT: Lice, hail, Juliette Gordon Low
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:59 pm Coryat: 35,200
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Katey Sagal, Point Nemo, hail, Juliette Gordon Low

Call me immature if you will--you would not be wrong in so doing--but I had to giggle at the fact that the J! round ended with Balzac, while DJ! ended with Djibouti.

Bakersfield in the house! Shout-out to my hometown!

Do you know Merle Haggard?

(kidding)
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:38 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:59 pm Bakersfield in the house! Shout-out to my hometown!

Do you know Merle Haggard?

(kidding)
No, but in their later years, both he and my dad moved up to Shasta County. Dad told me he ran into Merle at breakfast one morning and had a nice conversation with him about Bakersfield. Dad was quite the raconteur, though, so who knows how much truth there is to the account.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 pm I can't hear the name "Xanadu" without thinking of the Rush song.
I can't hear it without thinking about that movie title song recorded by Olivia Newton-John and Electric Light Orchestra.

A triple stumper? I was thinking that was so easy. The Pony Express was a relay race. What else could it be?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ! for me. Transcon was a decent guess, but Iditarod? :o
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TPH wrote:Absolutely no recognition on the TV category.
Married with Children was the only show I recognized but I can never dredge up Katie Segal's name.
I was totally lost on all the other clues.

The movie clues I did better on. I got The Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane and Rebel Without a Cause.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I watched Citizen Kane for the first time a year or two ago now. Pretty good.

What isn't pretty good though, is the fact that I am 0/2 so far this week. :)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Who else shouted out "Who is BALZAC?" in the affronted tones of a River City matron?

Between the Exodus category and the L. A. Phil, there were two columns I felt I was likely to run. Both demonstrated why I should never Clavin on an FJ bet even with a wheelhouse category. You never know what the writers are going to pull.

For Exodus I did not know that the word generally translated "gnats" has also been translated "lice" (and also "fleas", but that's not important right now). So the clue left me floundering. I knew there had been plagues of gnats and locusts, but neither struck me as likely to "plague kids in the classroom". And even if I'd guessed gnats, I would have been counted wrong. "Gnats" is a perfectly acceptable match for "third plague" but they are neither parasitic nor arthropods. The word was translated as "lice" in the King James Version, which is Jeopardy's English Bible translation of record, so I can't complain on that score. But I do feel this is a clue that the average contestant and the average Bible scholar would be unlikely to know on the facts. So the writers were relying entirely on the schoolkids TOM to get us there.

For the Los Angeles Philharmonic, they could easily have written five clues directly about that ensemble. Instead they went the tangential route. Since I didn't know the country music capital of California (and I did know that Bakersfield is NOT known for ANYTHING... I mean not being known for anything is basically what it's know for) I would have whiffed on that clue.

I was surprised by the TS on this FJ. I figured at least one of them would get it (and I figured that one would be Will). It was a double get in the Penguin household. Fun fact: The Pony Express never turned a profit before being put out of business by the telegraph.

It's too bad for John he couldn't manage to close the gap between him and Will by $800. Then a savvy wager from second would have won him the game. Would he have known to make that wager? We'll never know.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:10 pm
TPH wrote:Absolutely no recognition on the TV category.
Married with Children was the only show I recognized but I can never dredge up Katie Segal's name.
I was totally lost on all the other clues.

The movie clues I did better on. I got The Wizard of Oz, Citizen Kane and Rebel Without a Cause.
The New Adventures of Old Christine
Veep
The Americans
Felicity
Sons of Anarchy
Married...with Children
Splitting Up Together
The Office
Don't Trust the B----in Apartment 23
Jessica Jones

10/10 having a basic familiarity with the shows.
3/10 for having watched an episode of the shows (both Keri Russell shows and Katey Sagal playing Peg Bundy)
3/5 in the category - needed multiple choice for Fisher and blanked on Ritter while telling myself it's that actress from Breaking Bad

Category 13 is your recognition factor for the shows still 1/10 after seeing all the titles again?
Hammer 0/5 on the actresses is par for the course for that occupation.