Wednesday, February 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7923, 2019-02-06

CONTESTANTS
Bif Reiser, a mathematician from Portland, Oregon
Bryan Coyle, a high school English teacher from Minneapolis, Minnesota
Will Dawson, a tour guide from Washington, D.C. (whose 3-day cash winnings total $70,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome. Even if you don't get the Final Jeopardy! right, if you have managed to accumulate a lot of money going into that round, you can still wind up winning the game, as was the case with Will yesterday. Today he faces the two B's: Bif and Bryan. Welcome aboard, gentlemen. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And now the categories for you. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
APPLE PIE ORDER (4/5)
HISTORIC FAMILIES (5/5)
MEASURE FOR MEASURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE QUOTES (5/5)
WHAT WE HAVE HERE (4/5)
FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bif: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Will: 10 R, 0 W
Bryan: 8 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bif found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Will had $3,000, Bryan had $600, and Bif was at $800. Bif wagered $1,000.

MEASURE FOR MEASURE $400: A quadrant is a unit of circular measure equal to this many degrees

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bif: $4,200
Will: $4,000
Bryan: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bill [sic] Reiser is a mathematician from Portland, Oregon, who once lived in Chicago, and if I heard correctly, you commuted every day for how many years by bicycle?

Bif: I was in Chicago for six years, and I commuted every day by bike.

Alex: Even in the winters?

Bif: Especially in the winters.

Alex: Wow. I admire your guts.

Bif: Thanks.

Alex: Bryan Coyle from Minneapolis, a high school English teacher who is also the quiz bowl coach at your school. I would think that places a bit of extra pressure on you as a contestant on Jeopardy!

Bryan: It certainly does. I wish I had their buzzer speed right now. Their reactions are much better than mine. And I'm always impressed as I'm reading these questions to them. I understand about a quarter of the words sometimes, and they buzz in immediately. It's amazing.

Alex: Now, do you find that the students you are coaching are up on current and recent American history? Because I find that's an area in which they are sadly deficient.

Bryan: Well, it depends on what part of the school year we're in. Sometimes we'll be in the AP U.S. History section, and I know that they'll know the answer next week, but they don't know it yet. But they're pretty good at it.

Alex: Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Will Dawson is our champion. What college did you attend?

Will: The University of Kansas.

Alex: And while you were there, didn't you do some extra work on radio?

Will: Yes, I did. I worked as a college radio DJ. I hosted jazz--a jazz program and a British and Irish music program.

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
APPLE PIE ORDER $600: You can have this "apple" pie made with Ritz crackers; I'll have the real thing

WHAT WE HAVE HERE $800: Botswana has some of the world's largest "pipes" of these, the country's major economic resource

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bif: $7,800
Will: $6,000
Bryan: $3,400
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WWF (5/5) (Alex: The World Wildlife Fund.)
INDEPENDENT BOOKSTORES (5/5)
GOOD FELLOWS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WOMEN OF THE BIBLE (4/5)
NAME THE COMPOSER (5/5)
"SOCK" IT TO ME (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bif: 9 R, 0 W
Bryan: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Will: 9 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bryan snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Will had $6,000, Bryan had $3,800, and Bif was at $7,800. Bryan wagered $3,000.

GOOD FELLOWS $800: Politicians draw us in with "my fellow Americans" to open a speech, like this 1952 one in which Nixon rejected talk of corruption
(Alex: Bryan?)
(Bryan: What is the Snickers speech?)
(Bryan: I knew it was the dog, sorry.)
(Alex: But his dog was not called Snickers. That's what I had for breakfast.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bryan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Will had $14,800, Bryan had $6,400, and Bif was at $17,800. Bryan wagered $6,000.

"SOCK" IT TO ME $800: It's the full-length clerical garment seen here

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"SOCK" IT TO ME $2000: An industrial city of northern Rhode Island on the Blackstone River

WOMEN OF THE BIBLE $2000: In Acts, after Tabitha dies, this early Christian leader brings her back to life
(Will: Who is John the Baptist?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bif: $20,200
Bryan: $14,000
Will: $13,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL BORDERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Bif: Wager $7,801 to cover Bryan.
Bryan: You ought to wager to cover Will, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $14,000. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $12,400 (to shut out Will) or less than $1,600 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Will). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Bif.
Will: Consider risking $800, thereby beating Bif on the Triple Stumper (should Bif wager to cover Bryan's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Germany has land borders with 9 countries & only maritime boundaries with 2 countries, the U.K. & this one across the Baltic

FINAL SCORES
Will: $13,200 - $13,200 = $0 (What is Poland) (3rd place: $1,000)
Bryan: $14,000 - $13,500 = $500 (What is Estonia?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Bif: $20,200 + $7,801 = $28,001 (What is Sweden) (New champion: $28,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Bif: $19,600, 19 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Will: $13,200, 19 R, 2 W
Bryan: $11,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $44,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Bif: 20/59 = .339
Will: 19/58 = .328
Bryan: 17/60 = .283
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORIC FAMILIES $200: Considered American royalty, this family would include senators, an attorney general, an ambassador & a president

MEASURE FOR MEASURE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows two thermometers on the monitor.) To convert from Celsius to Fahrenheit, multiply the Celsius reading times 1.8 & then add this number

HISTORIC FAMILIES $1000: Due to inbreeding, King Charles II of Spain had a prominent jaw, like other members of this European royal family

WWF $400: The snow leopard is facing the loss of its habitat in this Asian range that includes the highest mountains in the world

WWF $1200: Extinct on mainland Australia, this marsupial is now found only on the island in its name

WWF $2000: The WWF's "Living Planet Report 2018" has dire news--plastic debris in all our oceans, even this deepest ocean trench

"SOCK" IT TO ME $1600: This red swimmer of the northern Pacific coast can navigate 1,000 miles upriver to spawn

"SOCK" IT TO ME $1200: From 1965, this popular Dr. Seuss work includes the line "Knox in box"
(Will: What is Fox on Socks?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
mock apple pie
diamonds
the Checkers speech
a cassock
Woonsocket
Peter
Sweden
the Kennedys
the Hapsburgs
the Himalayas
Tasmanian devils
the Marianas Trench
a sockeye
Fox in Socks
Last edited by Archivists on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INTERNATIONAL BORDERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Germany has land borders with 9 countries & only maritime borders with 2 countries, the U.K. & this one across the Baltic

Will Dawson: 13200-13200=0
Bryan Coyle: 14000-13500=500
Bif Reiser: 20200+7801=28001 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sweden (Will – Poland) (Bryan – Estonia)

Daily Doubles
Bif: 800+1000
Bryan: 3800-3000
Bryan: 6400+6000

Coryats
Will: 13200
Bryan: 11800
Bif: 19600

Combined: 44,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Will: 6000
Bryan: 3400
Bif: 7800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bryan missed DD2 with Snickers and the incorrect response garnered some snickers from the audience. Alex had the capper with the crack about Snickers being his breakfast.

Bif did not have the lead throughout the DJ! round and showed quick comeback skill, with assists from Will, to lead by the time the round was over.

Will & Bryan can leave without having to dwell on points in the game since they both missed the FJ! clue and Bif had it right.

The clue was a miss for me on kind of a coin toss though heavily weighted towards the Norway I wrote since I was pretty sure that was the westernmost of my Baltic consideration of Norway, Sweden & Finland. 17 in a row snapped on geography is the way to end my streak instead of a category I like better.

Unlike Will & Bryan I never considered the Baltic states combo of Estonia, Latvia & Lithuania. Alex noticed Will had considered changing his response and Will shared he would have gone with Estonia.

Alex toyed with Bryan’s response of Estonia before sharing the news that it was wrong also.

A clean victory by Bif who played well other than some annoying hesitancy in picking categories. Fortunately the guys moved things along enough to complete the boards.

At chat time it sounded like Alex gave Bif’s name as Bill. Phil would be my second choice for what I heard.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

After a run of easy FJs, this was at least a little tougher although still pretty easy (Poland??). :)

I think it would have been TOC level had they given the correct response as part of the clue and instead, they were looking for the U.K.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Movie Quotes was very YEKIOYD. Don't even recognize the $600 or $800 movies at all.

Embarrassed that I didn't get Apple Pie for $400. Chain restaurant + pie had me thinking of bakery-type chains like Perkins or Marie Callender's, nowhere near the right answer.

NHO "mock apple pie", "brown betty" (bam ba lam), or "Dutch apple pie".

"Gibber" is a word?!

Any reason I should know that "Don't Cry for Me, Argentina" is Andrew Lloyd Webber?

Composer for $1,600 is one of my least favorite songwriters ever. Literally every Diane Warren song I know of is God-awful.

What was the TOM for NYC in Bookstores for $400?

One of my friends used to work at Powell's and I STILL missed the clue.

Can't say I've heard of the Queen of Sheba or Purim. Why do bible categories always kick my ass?

I have no idea where the Baltic is, so I'm sunk here. Could be anything.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

No Lach Trash; Daily Double: Checkers speech

I was thinking either Denmark or Sweden, and picked the latter.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For one thing, there are three Baltic states, so if one of them borders Germany by sea, they all must, so none of them could have been right. And besides that, Estonia is the farthest of the three anyway. After Poland came up, I briefly thought that they might have pulled a fast one, and Russia was the answer because of Kaliningrad, but I stuck with Sweden knowing it was close to Denmark and therefore Germany. I don't think about sea borders very often; they just don't come up. A get's a get. And looking at a map, if Germany has a border with the U.K., it should probably be considered to have one with Norway as well. There's just as straight a line between the two.

Will is over at NatGeo, huh? My office is only a couple of blocks away. We used to eat in their cafeteria because the prices are subsidized and the food is really good. Unfortunately, they got wise to us and started limiting it to employees only. So much for that benefit. But this was many years ago anyway.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:46 pm I have no idea where the Baltic is, so I'm sunk here. Could be anything.
No, it couldn't be anything. They told you it's near Germany so that narrows things down considerably. It wasn't going to be Australia, true? If you'd given it some thought instead of whining, you might have had half a chance.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:46 pm I have no idea where the Baltic is, so I'm sunk here. Could be anything.
No, it couldn't be anything. They told you it's near Germany so that narrows things down considerably. It wasn't going to be Australia, true? If you'd given it some thought instead of whining, you might have had half a chance.
For some reason I thought Germany also had a water boundary to the south, but Austria and Italy are in the way of that. So that left "those 47 countries northwest of Greece that I can never remember" as a possibility in my head, too.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I don't know what constitutes a maritime border, so ... I guessed Finland
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

WAGed Sweden. My second choice was Finland.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Wow, you can definitely tell which one is John in that photo.

In Xanadu did Kublai Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree...we're back to it!

We didn't get a clue about versty or about Reaumur temperatures...I'm disappointed.

Don't you mean Sam Brownback Community College? Also, just gonna leave this here: INDIANA 103 KANSAS 99 FINAL OT

Not to be confused with the World Wrestling Federation.

It was interesting. But it was also stupid.

I always wondered what Michael Collins thought about Michael Collins. As well as what the Michael Collins I went to school with thought about either of them.

Bif gets both Oxford and Cambridge.

"Sock It To Me" would have been great to double up in the other round w/Sauk It To Me, all about Sinclair Lewis's hometown.

Coryat: $42,000

J: 23R7P. Got DD. 5/5 on Historic Families, Measure for Measure, and What We Have Here. 4/5 on Movie Quotes. 2/5 on Apple Pie Order and Failure to Communicate.

DJ: 26R4P. Got both DDs. 5/5 on WWF, Good Fellows, Women of the Bible, and "Sock" It To Me. 3/5 on Independent Bookstores and Name the Composer.

FJ: Wavered between Finland and Sweden, then thought, "Well, Finland's pretty far east, so it's got to be Sweden."

LT: diamonds, Woonsocket, Peter
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I too heard Alex call Bif "Bill" at the start of the contestant interviews. Bif wisely did not correct him and went on to win the game. Aspiring contestants take note.

The Groundhog Day clue was a few days late--Friday or Monday would have been better--but at least they got it in. Once it appeared I had a momentary foolish hope that the same clue would show up in at least one more box. I was also hoping for a Back to the Future clue because Bif.

Will avoided what could have been an unhappy neg by giving the full name of the movie rather than just the name of the band--This Is Spın̈al Tap. I'm not sure he pronounced the n-umlaut correctly, but we'll let that slide.

I made the correct guess on this FJ with low confidence. It made sense on the map in my head, but that map's been off before.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:46 pm What was the TOM for NYC in Bookstores for $400?
The mention of its location on Broadway.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This was the second or third game in a row with intricate final wagering senarios for all three contestants.
I guess Will was more interested in maximizing his winnings in this one game than looking at the big picture of a possible ToC birth.
Really disapointed in his suicide bet from third when Bryan had to wager big if he wanted to cover him.
I think he should have wagered 800 and hoped for a singleton or TS, with Bryan betting more than 1600.

I think Bif had the edge on Will in buzzer speed.
Good work by Bryan to claw his way back from the missed DD.

Poll request on the 'Checkers Speech'. I got it, but I thought the clue was confusingly worded.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:28 pm For one thing, there are three Baltic states, so if one of them borders Germany by sea, they all must, so none of them could have been right.
Can't say I agree 100% with the logic there. Finland has a maritime border with Estonia and maaaaaaybe Latvia, but Lithuania is right out. So since we're hypothetically moving Germany around as it is, we can hypothetically put it in a maritime border with just one Baltic state, too.

Then again, if they're counting the UK as a "bordering" country...you could make an argument it "borders" Lithuania and Norway, too...

The more I think about this clue, the more I dislike it...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I didn't have my mental map of Europe 100% dialed in, so I didn't remember exactly how far west the Scandinavian peninsula stretched. However, I knew that Denmark (directly north of Germany) has a bridge between it and Sweden (the Oresund), so that's where it took me.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had a blank on what countries were on the Baltic, and I just guessed Sweden as the closest to Germany without touching. I knew Denmark almost touched Sweden (edit: see above post) and that its only land border was Germany, so Sweden seemed plausible. Norway was the only other one I considered, and I was pretty sure its southernmost point was too far north.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Seems kind of a BS question. Looking at some other countries (from the list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... me_borders) makes it seem quite arbirary. Cuba, for example, is said to have maritime borders with Mexico and Honduras, but not with Belize or Guatemala, which are in-between the two it has them with. What?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Okay, it looks like they used Exclusive Economic Zone boundaries as maritime borders, not the territorial waters. Which...weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:North_sea_eez.PNG
(UK + Germany)

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Fa ... ak-and.png
(That was the best one I could find with both Sweden and Germany...their border's the orange horizontal line in the south. The orange diamond to the east is Denmark's)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)