Tuesday, February 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 pm My first exposure to Balzac came after wondering just who, exactly, Mrs. Paroo was talking about when she was singing to Marian during Winthrop's piano lesson.
Not to quibble too much, but I think it was Mrs. Shinn in "Pick a Little, Talk a Little"
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:26 pm Who else shouted out "Who is BALZAC?" in the affronted tones of a River City matron?
Not only that, but my wife and looked at each other and gave the answer with a lead-in by saying simultaneously "Chaucer ... Rabelais ... BAAALZAC!"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:16 pm
Euphonium wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 pm My first exposure to Balzac came after wondering just who, exactly, Mrs. Paroo was talking about when she was singing to Marian during Winthrop's piano lesson.
Not to quibble too much, but I think it was Mrs. Shinn in "Pick a Little, Talk a Little"
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:26 pm Who else shouted out "Who is BALZAC?" in the affronted tones of a River City matron?
Not only that, but my wife and looked at each other and gave the answer with a lead-in by saying simultaneously "Chaucer ... Rabelais ... BAAALZAC!"
Balzac is mentioned in both places. Not that you are wrong about Mrs. Shinn, AFRET CMS, but Euphonium is correct as well about the piano lesson scene. [Terrible sound in video] part is at 2:15

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

You guys are welcome to watch Jeopardy at our place any time.

As Mark mentioned, Balzac gets mentioned in both the piano lesson and "Pick a Little, Talk a Little". The former song involves Marian telling her mother "I know what the gentleman wanted.... You'll find it in Balzac". Euphonium alluded to that reference with the followup line, "Excuse me for livin' but I never read it" and noting that Balzac gets lumped in with "all them other high-falutin' Greeks." (Note for contestant hopefuls: Balzac was French.)

But it was, as you divined, the later song to which I referred when speaking of "the affronted tones of a River City matron."
daydreamnation
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by daydreamnation »

i only remembered balzac from pierrot le fou. jean-paul belmondo calls someone and their number is balzac-5xxx. he yells "you've forgotten balzac?!"

hopefully my film professor from last year stumbles across this post and appreciates it.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

May I be a little off-topic and off-color at the same time? Just this once, to kill both birds with one stone. Also it's the next day and hardly anyone is looking at this thread anymore.

How did French sex get its name?
Spoiler
Anatole France Honore de Balzac
I'm smart and I want respect.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Pretty sure that stock photo of Thin Mints was the ABC Bakers version. Girl Scouts near the J! studio would be selling the Little Brownie Bakers lineup, though.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 am Pretty sure that stock photo of Thin Mints was the ABC Bakers version. Girl Scouts near the J! studio would be selling the Little Brownie Bakers lineup, though.
And I thought they'd changed the recipe and Thin Mints weren't as good anymore. Turns out I just moved to Kansas. Dang! Is there any way to check and confirm that we get ABC rather than Little Brownie out here? I bet the box would say. I could buy a box. Or I could go up to the Girl Scouts at the table outside Hy-Vee, ask to inspect one of the boxes, find the line that says ABC, frown, shake my head and hand it back and tell them they've got the wrong kind.

I like this place except for the food. The west coast chains that I liked--e.g. In-n-Out and Rubio's--don't make it out here. Many of them (though not In-n-Out) make it as far as Denver. Then they look at 600 desolate miles of I-70 to the east, and decide it doesn't make economic sense to extend their supply lines. Meanwhile, east coast chains make it to St. Louis and decide the extra 250 miles west isn't worth it. We don't have Carl's Jr. out here, we have Hardee's. CKE bought out Hardee's years ago and made their menus similar but not identical. In particular, I can't get a Western Bacon Cheeseburger (aka the one reason I go to the place) out here. We used to have four Mimi's Cafes in the KC area. They closed 5 or 6 years ago even though they were always busy when we went in. I suspect it's that supply line problem. Costs extra to ship things out to BFK just for four locations.

We do have a See's Candies location inside the Nebraska Furniture Mart in KCK. They're both owned by Warren Buffet. But it's not full service. Pre-packaged boxes only. Forget it. At those prices I need a box full of EXACTLY what I want.

What do we have out here? Barbecue. Meh. Barbecue's ok but if I never had it again I wouldn't miss it.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:32 am
Excuse me for living, but I've never read it. Or any of them other hifalutin' Greeks.
:D
I didn't get the answer, but as soon as it was given, I repeated it in Mayor Shinn's wife's booming voice.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:34 pm
You guys are welcome to watch Jeopardy at our place any time.

As Mark mentioned, Balzac gets mentioned in both the piano lesson and "Pick a Little, Talk a Little". The former song involves Marian telling her mother "I know what the gentleman wanted.... You'll find it in Balzac". Euphonium alluded to that reference with the followup line, "Excuse me for livin' but I never read it" and noting that Balzac gets lumped in with "all them other high-falutin' Greeks." (Note for contestant hopefuls: Balzac was French.)

But it was, as you divined, the later song to which I referred when speaking of "the affronted tones of a River City matron."
You're right, as was Euphonium, as I realized not long after my posting. Still one of the all-time great Broadway musicals, and one of the best movie adaptations (if you can get past seeing L.A. mountains in the background of River City's main street). I also remember exercising to Meredith Wilson's "Chicken Fat" in P.E. class in around fifth or sixth grade.

I knew that Wilson wrote the mostly-forgettable "Unsinkable Molly Brown (although it does have a terrific main theme), but didn't know until maybe a year or two ago that Wilson also wrote the holiday standard, "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas." Seems like that could contribute to a great Jeopardy clue.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

periwinkle wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:05 pm
Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:32 am
Excuse me for living, but I've never read it. Or any of them other hifalutin' Greeks.
:D
I didn't get the answer, but as soon as it was given, I repeated it in Mayor Shinn's wife's booming voice.

One Grecian urn...
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 amIs there any way to check and confirm that we get ABC rather than Little Brownie out here?
The L.A. Times produced this map in 2015, updated in 2017, but I know it's not fully up-to-date (I've seen on Facebook that the southern half of Nevada is now Little Brownie territory).
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:46 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:58 amIs there any way to check and confirm that we get ABC rather than Little Brownie out here?
The L.A. Times produced this map in 2015, updated in 2017, but I know it's not fully up-to-date (I've seen on Facebook that the southern half of Nevada is now Little Brownie territory).
Yep, I'm smack in the middle of ABC territory. Mrs Penguin confirms that when we buy Girl Scout Cookies, we get Caramel deLites rather than Samoas. So that settles it. St. Louis and Denver get the good stuff. Of course.