Wednesday, February 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, February 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:51 pm
Category 13 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Poll request on the 'Checkers Speech'. I got it, but I thought the clue was confusingly worded.
No problems here. Of course I went to school when they actually taught American History... :P
But the Checkers speech was current events at that time!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

periwinkle wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:22 pm I found the Nixon clue confusing. I know the dog's name and that speech well (and can pull the "Republican cloth coat" with slightly more difficulty) but the reference here was murky enough that I was thinking about whether they meant a State of the Union speech or something along those lines. Then my husband pointed out the date (which I overlooked) was before he became president, ergo Checkers speech. It didn't trigger for me immediately because I don't think of it as a named speech, i.e. "this speech".
The year of the speech, 1952, has even more significance. Yes, it was before he was president, but it was also before he was VP. He was candidate for VP at the time.
OCSam
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:40 am
periwinkle wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:22 pm I found the Nixon clue confusing. I know the dog's name and that speech well (and can pull the "Republican cloth coat" with slightly more difficulty) but the reference here was murky enough that I was thinking about whether they meant a State of the Union speech or something along those lines. Then my husband pointed out the date (which I overlooked) was before he became president, ergo Checkers speech. It didn't trigger for me immediately because I don't think of it as a named speech, i.e. "this speech".
The year of the speech, 1952, has even more significance. Yes, it was before he was president, but it was also before he was VP. He was candidate for VP at the time.
Yes, and it is one of his three most famous public speaking moments (along with "You won't have Dick Nixon to kick around any more" and "I am not a crook!") If you know little else about Nixon, that's something a prospective J! contestant should know.