Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Millionaire 2018-19 Season Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by threearruda »

Spoiler
I could tell you looked a little flustered, thanks for your insights on that regard. Without the 50/50, I likely would have guessed the same way you ultimately did at $10k, but Carter makes sense in hindsight. Sorry that things did not work out as I'm sure you hoped; just know that anyone who can post a $20k Coryat on J! is a good trivia mind, no matter what else happens!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

PsycPhdStudent wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am My episode airs today. Not my finest moment— fire away with criticism
No criticism from here. This is the toughest show there is with one wrong move and game over. It has a way of making you forget everything you know.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

When your +1 was pushing you to Nixon with 70% certainty, I was cringing. I don't remember in the discussion, but I think you finally figured out the war was still going on when he was in office. It was a question were (advanced) age helped -- there was no way a Republican was going to grant amnesty to draft dodgers. And especially not Ford, since he had pardoned Nixon, which was a BIG deal back then. Sorry it didn't work out for you, Colby. I hope you get to complete The Big Three and make it onto Wheel.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Wow, Colby, you lived through my nightmare as a Plus One: getting up onto stage and giving the contestant bad advice. Sorry that it ended for you the way it did, but you did well up there.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I don't know ... there's something cruel about asking the black contestant about an Afrikaans word (yes, I know the stacks are randomly assigned).
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alietr wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 am I don't know ... there's something cruel about asking the black contestant about an Afrikaans word (yes, I know the stacks are randomly assigned).
As opposed to an English word?
OCSam
Golf

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 am I don't know ... there's something cruel about asking the black contestant about an Afrikaans word (yes, I know the stacks are randomly assigned).
Does this really need to be mentioned? Especially when the phrase "THE black contestant" is used.....
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's Lucky in Love Week with couples who met in Las Vegas. For the 2/11 episode do not play the drinking game for number of kisses. Nice to see a helpful +1.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

That question set was a breeze. Knew all answers before choices came up except $10,000 which is a likely Common Knowledge question.

The Thousandaire contestant certainly does not look like she has been married for thirteen years.

How was Sriracha not introduced into the Scrabble language until just last year? :shock:
Douglas Squasoni
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I retract any earlier statements about easy $50k questions. :lol: Slam dunk as that was in the news at some point last year.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:44 pm That question set was a breeze. Knew all answers before choices came up except $10,000 which is a likely Common Knowledge question.
Agreed, although I had a moment of hesitation at 10 and 30k.

Curious as to how well known $7k is for folks who live further west. I may or may not live 45 minutes outside the city so I'm biased as to the difficulty of that question. :?
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

threearruda wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm I retract any earlier statements about easy $50k questions. :lol: Slam dunk as that was in the news at some point last year.
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:44 pm That question set was a breeze. Knew all answers before choices came up except $10,000 which is a likely Common Knowledge question.
Agreed, although I had a moment of hesitation at 10 and 30k.

Curious as to how well known $7k is for folks who live further west. I may or may not live 45 minutes outside the city so I'm biased as to the difficulty of that question. :?
Assuming that that was the question about the “T,” I looked at the choices and said BART, the Metro and SEPTA. I also knew what Boston’s subway was called. I agree about the +1: it’s nice to see one just nail it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:31 pm ...

San Francisco was out of course leaving me looking at three choices. What I had to work with was crossword puzzles having IRT and MTA. I could match those to NY and Boston. Not in the mix was I knew CTA for Chicago. Philadelphia for SEPTA I have seen although today I was not recalling.

Whether I knew the name of the system for the cities or not it seemed like the "T" could fit any of them. Boston was my hunch as I recalled the song "M.T.A." and thought shortening it by two letters made sense. For NY I was thinking I only hear, "the subway." For me it probably would have been lifeline time although I would not have trusted the audience. +1 it is as unlikely the 50:50 would have left S.F.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I would hope the Maduro question would play easier now, but given your average American, there's no guarantee of that.

For me at least, that was a way easy stack with no difficulties whatsoever. I don't think I needed even one lifeline. Though I would have been tempted to answer, "I hate the blankin' Eagles, man".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:42 am I would hope the Maduro question would play easier now, but given your average American, there's no guarantee of that.

For me at least, that was a way easy stack with no difficulties whatsoever. I don't think I needed even one lifeline. Though I would have been tempted to answer, "I hate the blankin' Eagles, man".
I confidently said Venezuela for the Maduro question simply because the phonology of the name only fit a Spanish-speaking country in my mind.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

My DVR didn't pick up the show this morning, no idea if it was mislabeled as a rerun or the local station preempted for something. If Mark or anyone felt like throwing up an upload and it wasn't a lot of trouble, would be appreciated. Or if there's a reddit guy for WWTBAM I'd appreciate a link.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:11 pm My DVR didn't pick up the show this morning, no idea if it was mislabeled as a rerun or the local station preempted for something. If Mark or anyone felt like throwing up an upload and it wasn't a lot of trouble, would be appreciated. Or if there's a reddit guy for WWTBAM I'd appreciate a link.
Using YT and a search term of "who wants to be a millionaire" followed by the filter of uploaded today I found it:
Spoiler
It's followed by a rerun with Donnie Edgemon.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Thanks Mark. I suppose I could have searched YouTube myself. Reddit guy has made me lazy!
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:09 pm Thanks Mark. I suppose I could have searched YouTube myself Reddit guy has made me lazy!
but searching youtube instead of posting on here would have taken less time especially when you factor in the waiting time
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:11 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:09 pm Thanks Mark. I suppose I could have searched YouTube myself Reddit guy has made me lazy!
but searching youtube instead of posting on here would have taken less time especially when you factor in the waiting time
Yeah, how dare someone have to wait 19 minutes from post to response. And what am I doing eating dinner when there's a request out there. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I don't know if he could handle the speed of the game, but I would like to see Rene Nunez on J!