Friday, February 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, February 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Is it really true that French ducks say coin coin or is that just a canard?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:12 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:24 pm I was flummoxed when Alex said that he thought that this was an easy FJ. Granted, I am not a Shakespeare scholar, but I saw absolutely nothing there to point towards any one play.
It seems to fit the tone of a former shrew now lecturing the other wives about women knowing their place and being obedient to their husbands.
Kinda how I attacked it. It sounds like the culmination of turning someone who at first hates the suitor into someone who loves them.
periwinkle wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm I thought Alex came off very rudely in saying to Rebecca that this was an easy clue because she got it.
To me, it felt like a callback to an earlier triple stumper that he called 'harder than expected'...it probably played better ~2 hours past rather than 72.
Spoiler
Pony Express
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 pm Those false friends were pretty tough gets, except of course the biblioteque one which I would have blown as biblioteca (Espanol).
The weirdest thing about that was it was the $2000 clue.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 pm For cheezguyty: Any way to bring up how many gentlemen have led going into the FJ! round and lost on a Shakespeare FJ! clue? Josh's fate seems like it has happened a number of times in the past.
Here's a list of everyone I could find who has lost from the lead on a Shakespeare FJ in a regular game:

Show #1175 - Larry Kole
Show #2509 - James Caparas
Show #2979 - David Smith
Show #3007 - Naomi Rose
Show #3026 - Steve Norton
Show #3084 - Tom Barrett
Show #3191 - Lew Taylor
Show #3319 - Patti Compton
Show #4072 - Heidi Wakeman
Show #4408 - Stacie Court
Show #5111 - Mary Voigt
Show #5381 - Jean Doolittle
Show #5804 - Todd Ryan
Show #5861 - Elizabeth Galoozis
Show #6354 - Sean Hansen
Show #7242 - Tim Kutz
Show #7443 - Colby Taylor
Show #7500 - Andrea Palmiter
Show #7925 - Josh Duggan

[edited to add links]
Last edited by cheezguyty on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Henrietta Marks was my only miss for today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mill, Profession, (Thomas Paine), Ex, Cologne, Capri, The Sun, Carl Sagan, American Legion, Clothing, Hurt, Carol Moseley Braun

They had a Churches & Cathedrals category in November. Unlike last time, they got through all the clues in that category.

My first high 50's week. :D
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 pm For cheezguyty: Any way to bring up how many gentlemen have led going into the FJ! round and lost on a Shakespeare FJ! clue? Josh's fate seems like it has happened a number of times in the past.
Here's a list of everyone I could find who has lost from the lead on a Shakespeare FJ in a regular game:

[edited to add links]
Thank you for the quick work. I'm not surprised at the number of occasions. The gender divide was closer than I would have guessed.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:43 pm 59 R (Henrietta Marks was my only miss for today.)
LT: Mill, Profession, (Thomas Paine), Ex, Cologne, Capri, The Sun, Carl Sagan, American Legion, Clothing, Hurt, Carol Moseley Braun

They had a Churches & Cathedrals category in November. Unlike last time, they got through all the clues in that category.

Yay, I got Lacks for the only available LSV Trash. Hmmm, I wonder if that would make a good one for the extra clues tomorrow? ;)

You're still at one FJ! clue miss for the season? Keep it up.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:19 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:43 pm 59 R (Henrietta Marks was my only miss for today.)

Yay, I got Lacks for the only available LSV Trash. Hmmm, I wonder if that would make a good one for the extra clues tomorrow? ;)

I had 49.9% confidence on HeLa. DD get for sure but couldn't quite pull the trigger otherwise...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Josh Duggan
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Josh Duggan »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:24 pm I was flummoxed when Alex said that he thought that this was an easy FJ. Granted, I am not a Shakespeare scholar, but I saw absolutely nothing there to point towards any one play.
"Josh?" here. There was a weird edit. As he walked to the podia to get our responses, he said, "This was a tough one." Then he read Rebecca's response and responded with what everyone saw/heard. Editing made him look like a jerk. That's not how it played in the studio though.
Josh Duggan
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Josh Duggan »

periwinkle wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:29 pm I thought Alex came off very rudely in saying to Rebecca that this was an easy clue because she got it.

I did get it right away, but I was an English major and am familiar enough with the speech that ends Shrew to realize that this would be part of it. (If you know Kiss Me Kate, it's the speech that was turned into the song "I am Ashamed That Women Are So Simple."

If it had quoted "a shed that women are so simple," it would have been a far easier clue.

Bif guessing All's Well that Ends Well shows he has a good knowledge of which of the plays are comedies.
I too was an English major. Not one time was I required to read that play. If it was tragedies or history plays, I'd have been fine. I looked to the audience with incredulity to my fellow local contestant when Shakespeare comedies flashed across the screen because I joked at lunch that Shakespeare was going to bone me.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Actually two. South Bend and Brooks Brothers.
Douglas Squasoni
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Sometimes a wild guess just happens to be right. Thanks to that I am... 1/5 this week. Not a great accomplishment but I'll take it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Josh Duggan wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:24 am I too was an English major. Not one time was I required to read that play. If it was tragedies or history plays, I'd have been fine. I looked to the audience with incredulity to my fellow local contestant when Shakespeare comedies flashed across the screen because I joked at lunch that Shakespeare was going to bone me.
Welcome, Josh. You fought the good fight. Always good to keep in mind the name of the show. Too bad it didn't work out for you.
Josh Duggan wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:21 am
"Josh?" here. There was a weird edit. As he walked to the podia to get our responses, he said, "This was a tough one." Then he read Rebecca's response and responded with what everyone saw/heard. Editing made him look like a jerk. That's not how it played in the studio though.
That's kind of what I thought, but I figure I just missed him saying something like that. He can make some untoward comments (especially when he thinks something is easy), but it definitely seemed like he had already made a comment about how hard it was.

And I have to ask ... Why the question mark? Are you unsure of your name? Or was that a riff on the form-of-a-question trope?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:48 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:53 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm That was definitely one of the luckiest wins ever.
Is it? Everyone bet properly so this is what I’d expect from a difficult FJ. (Difficult for me at least because I'm familiar enough with the material and thought it must have been a gender bender comedy like Twelfth Night).
The Final Jeopardy! clue mentioned body parts. I recalled a $100,000 question on WWTBAM where they had the “tongue in your tail” quote. That being said, I went with “Taming of the Shrew” assuming body parts == “Taming of the Shrew”. Also, that quote sounded right for "The Taming of the Shrew."

wow you are amazing...another flawless performance
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm That was definitely one of the luckiest wins ever.
if by lucky you mean that the contestants actually understood final jeopardy wagering? then yeah that was lucky
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:50 am

Actually two. South Bend and Brooks Brothers.

those are the 2 you missed? i got both of them right and i am not nearly on your level
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I had to read the Henrietta Lacks book as part of my AP Bio class a few years back, so that was an easy get for me. Good read, for anyone interested.

As You Like It was my guess for Final. I'll be real curious to see which Bif shows up on Monday.

You played a great game, Josh, thanks for your insights. Welcome to the board!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

DBear wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:42 pm Not much on the comedy plays. Twelfth Night was out, but other than that...picked A Comedy of Errors. :(
Why was Twelfth Night out?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Twelfth Night, Comedy of Errors, and Two Gentlemen of Verona all came to mind, but I couldn't decide. Then "Taming of the Shrew", which I actually know next to nothing about, came to me out of nowhere and I put that down at the last second.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Elijah Baley wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:05 am
DBear wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:42 pm Not much on the comedy plays. Twelfth Night was out, but other than that...picked A Comedy of Errors. :(
Why was Twelfth Night out?
Because that's the one I actually read in school. :geek: