Friday, February 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:53 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm That was definitely one of the luckiest wins ever.
Is it? Everyone bet properly so this is what I’d expect from a difficult FJ. (Difficult for me at least because I'm familiar enough with the material and thought it must have been a gender bender comedy like Twelfth Night).
Uh, no. Bif and Josh bet exactly right. And Rebecca must have known (should have known) that her ONLY chance to win was if they both wagered more or less sensibly and missed. In that case the number for her to beat was $8,600 (Bif bets $2,001 to beat a $0 bet by Josh, but Bif misses).

So she should have bet at least $2,800. And if she does, and misses, she finishes in third anyway, so there's no reason not to go all in or to hold back a buck.

Instead she wagers the incomprehensible $1,200, totally wasting her sole get and walking away with 2nd-place money instead of $11,000+ and a second game. As it has been written here, why does someone use the only chance he/she will EVER get to be on the show, only to go on the show and NOT play to win? This was just gut-wrenching to watch.

And AT's comment about FJ? I HOPE he was being facetious. Whatever "TOM" was in the clue was really obscure. Count me as another watcher at home who saw this as "Pick a Shakespeare comedy, ANY Shakespeare comedy." This will almost certainly be one of the lower-polling FJs of the season.

I hope this is the last we see of the "Faux amis" category. Knowing some foreign-language vocabulary is to be expected on this show, but this was several orders of magnitude more difficult.

My LT for the night was confined to mill (on the floss) and Carl Sagan for $2,400.

And I hope nobody here really thought I was hexing Bif by noting that he looks strong. Especially considering the games were taped some time ago, that's kinda superstitious, eh? (PS I still think he looks very solid, and that this game was only an aberration. I figure him to have another win or two or three in him.)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

John Boy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:54 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:43 pm That was definitely one of the luckiest wins ever.
Is it? Everyone bet properly so this is what I’d expect from a difficult FJ. (Difficult for me at least because I'm familiar enough with the material and thought it must have been a gender bender comedy like Twelfth Night).
Uh, no. Bif and Josh bet exactly right. And Rebecca must have known (should have known) that her ONLY chance to win was if they both wagered more or less sensibly and missed. In that case the number for her to beat was $8,600 (Bif bets $2,001 to beat a $0 bet by Josh, but Bif misses).

So she should have bet at least $2,800. And if she does, and misses, she finishes in third anyway, so there's no reason not to go all in or to hold back a buck.

Instead she wagers the incomprehensible $1,200, totally wasting her sole get and walking away with 2nd-place money instead of $11,000+ and a second game. As it has been written here, why does someone use the only chance he/she will EVER get to be on the show, only to go on the show and NOT play to win? This was just gut-wrenching to watch.
See the Opus post on page 1 about scenario A and B. Second place so rarely bets rationally in games like this that it’s pretty reasonable for third to at least consider betting small and pinning their hopes on a triple stumper rather than putting all their chips on a sole get.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

John Boy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:54 pm

And AT's comment about FJ? I HOPE he was being facetious. Whatever "TOM" was in the clue was really obscure. Count me as another watcher at home who saw this as "Pick a Shakespeare comedy, ANY Shakespeare comedy." This will almost certainly be one of the lower-polling FJs of the season.

I hope this is the last we see of the "Faux amis" category. Knowing some foreign-language vocabulary is to be expected on this show, but this was several orders of magnitude more difficult.

My LT for the night was confined to mill (on the floss) and Carl Sagan for $2,400.

And I hope nobody here really thought I was hexing Bif by noting that he looks strong. Especially considering the games were taped some time ago, that's kinda superstitious, eh? (PS I still think he looks very solid, and that this game was only an aberration. I figure him to have another win or two or three in him.)
As Jeff already added, the wagering scenario was covered by Opus quite eloquently. And the rude comment was explained by none other than Josh? himself (Welcome Josh?, and I loved the punctuation). I don't know how they make that edit in post.

So did you read the first 4 posts and then comment 30 hours (and 30 posts) later? Opus and I already riffed about the broken jinx, and actually Bif was somewhat charmed. Maybe you have anti-hex superpower:). No, we don't seriously believe that either - hell, we have to watch the Chiefs play.

Many people here (say they) would rather lose aggressively than win passively. If Rebecca is weak on Shakespeare, she bet wisely. Her odds of a dumb (or martian, depending on your point of view) bet by Bif probably felt better than her shot at a solo get.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:54 pm And I hope nobody here really thought I was hexing Bif by noting that he looks strong. Especially considering the games were taped some time ago, that's kinda superstitious, eh? (PS I still think he looks very solid, and that this game was only an aberration. I figure him to have another win or two or three in him.)
If at first you don't succeed....
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

One would think I might have gotten FJ!. It's the one Shakespeare play I've acted in. But, alas, those weren't my lines. :(
OCSam
davey

Post by davey »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:07 pm One would think I might have gotten FJ!. It's the one Shakespeare play I've acted in. But, alas, those weren't my lines. :(
Sam, I was about to post the exact sentiment! I never figured they were so naggingly familiar because I was onstage so many times when they were uttered...I guess by that time I was thinking about curtain call..."I am ashamed..." That part I would have recognized...!
Folks have complained about the rudeness of Alex's remark to Rebecca. Even with the cut, I assumed he just meant he thought no one would get it. What about using Bif's interview to tell him how poorly he'd done in the game so far (after he'd already brought that up going into commercial)? That seemed worse to me...
Last edited by davey on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:40 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 pm Those false friends were pretty tough gets, except of course the biblioteque one which I would have blown as biblioteca (Espanol).
The weirdest thing about that was it was the $2000 clue.
btw, in Jeopardy!-speak there's no difference between bibliotheque and biblioteca...In French a final e like that is often articulated.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am The clue was a miss for me as I’m good in morbeedo’s nightmare categories and I’m poor in his wheelhouses. Playing the precall game during the break I had the correct response and the misses by the gentlemen in the mix. I matched Bif as in the FJ! round I am going to choose something.
Delayed thanks for the shout-out! I stumbled on this 'Shrew' clue in the archive, so I can't say if I would have got it right