Monday, February 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7926, 2019-02-11

CONTESTANTS
Eric R. Backes, an attorney and government relations professional from Round Rock, Texas
Karen Bascom Lambiotte, a science writer from Vicksburg, Mississippi
Bif Reiser, a mathematician from Portland, Oregon (whose 3-day cash winnings total $69,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and a very warm welcome to you all. And in particular to a group of film and television students from the University of Miami of Ohio, who are joining us in our studio audience today to watch Eric, Karen and Bif perform at your very best. So don't let them down. Good luck. Let's go to work. Now the categories for the first round of play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SHOW US THE RING (5/5)
A CLASSIC SETTING (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
5 DIAMONDS (5/5)
SIDE STONES (5/5)
EMERALD (5/5)
"ONICS" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eric: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Bif: 8 R, 0 W
Karen: 7 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric found the Daily Double on the 13th clue. Bif had $2,000, Karen had $1,000, and Eric was at $3,600. Eric wagered $2,000.

A CLASSIC SETTING $600: Chapter one of this novel sets the scene:
it is Jan. 6, 1482 & church bells are ringing throughout Paris

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Eric: $5,800
Bif: $2,000
Karen: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eric Backes is from Round Rock, Texas. And in spite of being the worst driver in his school, wound up getting what job for a U.S. senator?

Eric: I was his driver.

Alex: Of course.

Eric: Back in his home state. I had to drive him around all of--I was originally from northern New Jersey and had to drive him around there.

Alex: I won't tell you what New York drivers think of New Jersey drivers.

Eric: We think the same thing of them, so it's--

Alex: Absolutely. Good for you.

Alex: Karen Bascom Lambiotte from Vicksburg, Mississippi. Once met presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, and was impressed--

Karen: Yes.

Alex: --or disappointed?

Karen: Well, it was a long time before he was a presidential candidate. It was as Congressman from Vermont. I grew up in Vermont and got to meet him as a teenager by visiting his office and got a picture with him, crazy hair and all.

Alex: Did you ask him a tough question that put him on the spot?

Karen: I don't think so, no.

Alex: You were too nice. All right.

Alex: Bif Reiser is from Portland, Oregon. He's a mathematician who is our champion. And when you were younger, you asked your parents for I believe $300 to go where?

Bif: Las Vegas.

Alex: Why?

Bif: There was a math competition there.

Alex: A math competition.

Bif: Yes.

Alex: Okay, 'cause you were far too young to gamble.

[Bif shrugs.]

Alex: Well, no. You were too young to gamble. How did you do in the math competition?

Bif: We did pretty well.

Alex: We?

Bif: Well, it was a team-based event.

Alex: All right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A CLASSIC SETTING $800: Gustav von Aschenbach leaves Munich for Italy in this Thomas Mann novella whose title is a spoiler

A CLASSIC SETTING $1000: This title girl is sent to Trantridge to try to claim kinship with a rich family in a Thomas Hardy classic

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Eric: $10,200
Bif: $4,400
Karen: $3,000
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NEWER WORDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A STATE OF RELAXATION (5/5) (Alex: You have to name the state.)
YOU SAY YOU WANT A FRENCH REVOLUTION (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE TITLE TUNES (5/5)
VEGANS & VEGETARIANS (5/5)
NOT IN FIDDLER ON THE ROOF (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eric: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Bif: 10 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Karen: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bif snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Bif had $4,800, Karen had $3,400, and Eric was at $11,000. Bif made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,800.

NEWER WORDS $1600: As a "Machine" it's an archive of taken-down web pages; as part of an SUV, it's the third row of seats

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bif who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Bif had $12,400, Karen had $7,000, and Eric was at $25,800. Bif wagered $8,000.

YOU SAY YOU WANT A FRENCH REVOLUTION $1200: In May 1793 this bloodthirsty lawyer had a message for the people--"rise in insurrection"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NOT IN FIDDLER ON THE ROOF $1600: One letter off for the name of the matchmaker was this colorful west African cloth

YOU SAY YOU WANT A FRENCH REVOLUTION $800: Early on, 4 years before the Reign of Terror, was the period of panic called La Grande Peur or "The Great" this
(Eric: What is purge?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Eric: $27,800
Bif: $24,000
Karen: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRIMETIME TV

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Eric: Wager $20,201 to cover Bif. Or, you could try out a Shoretegic bet of $6,201.
Bif: Your score is within 4/5ths of Eric's, so wager between $7,601 (venusian) and $9,999 (martian), beating Eric's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Karen's part.
Karen: You just can't cover a rational wager by Bif, nor can you win on a Triple Stumper. Improve your situation by wagering everything but a few bucks--and then getting Final right!

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"Complications" was a suggested title for this ABC drama that was renewed for a 15th season in 2018

FINAL SCORES
Karen: $7,000 + $7,000 = $14,000 (What is Gray's Anatomy?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Bif: $24,000 + $3,801 = $27,801 (What is Grey's Anatomy?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Eric: $27,800 + $20,201 = $48,001 (What is Greys Anatomy) (New champion: $48,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Eric: $26,400, 27 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Bif: $14,000, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Karen: $7,000, 11 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $47,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Eric: 28/59 = .475
Bif: 19/60 = .317
Karen: 12/58 = .207
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
5 DIAMONDS $400: A red seat 502 feet from home plate in this ballpark marks the landing spot of a Ted Williams homer
(Alex: In Boston.)

5 DIAMONDS $1000: A scaled-down version of the one in Chicago, L.A.'s Wrigley Field was the first home of this American League team

SHOW US THE RING $200: The engagement ring he designed for Meghan Markle included 2 diamonds from his late mom

SHOW US THE RING $600: In 2013, her diamond & sapphire engagement ring from Napoleon sold at auction for just under $1 million

EMERALD $800: Not actually made of the gem, the statue seen here in a Bangkok temple is called the "Emerald" him

A STATE OF RELAXATION $1600: Franklin Roosevelt's Little White House State Historic Site
(Bif: What is New York?)
(Alex: Warm Springs, [*].)

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Death in Venice
Tess of the D'Urbervilles
the wayback
Robespierre
kente
fear
Grey's Anatomy
Fenway Park
the Angels
Prince Harry
Josephine
Buddha
Georgia
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRIMETIME TV

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“Complications” was a suggested title for this ABC drama that was renewed for a 15th season in 2018

Bif Reiser: 24000+3801=27801
Karen Bascom Lambiotte: 7000+7000=14000
Eric R. Backes: 27800+20201=48001 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Grey’s Anatomy

Daily Doubles
Eric: 3600+2000
Bif: 4800+4800
Bif: 12400+8000

Coryats
Bif: 14000
Karen: 7000
Eric: 26400

Combined: 47,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Bif: 4400
Karen: 3000
Eric: 10200

Edited to fix Bif's score.
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bif had glasses on today. He could see the score display, but the wager on DD3 cost him over $50,000. And it likely cost him a spot in the ToC as well. Ouch. A win of $55,601 would have been a huge start to the week.

Eric: 25800
Bif: 12400+8000
Karen: 7000
Six clues remaining after the DD

Ballgame.

The FJ! category was the polar opposite for me from the Shakespeare on Friday. Bif was writing quickly, but my ink pen was faster to be done stat.

Quite the debut by Eric with the huge Coryat and only $2000 of his score padded by a DD unlike Bif who was +$12800 and still trailed.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am Bif had glasses on today. He could see the score display, but the wager on DD3 cost him over $50,000. And it likely cost him a spot in the ToC as well. Ouch. A win of $55,601 would have been a huge start to the week.
Maybe Eric STAYs CLAM on FRENCH REVOLUTION $800 if the scores are different. I think that's a good way of rationalizing this situation; it's one of those situations one fixates on too much, otherwise.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Setting and Ring were instant 0/5s for me. Why should I care about Harry's marriage?

Also went 0/5 on Emerald. I knew Emerald City and Green Lantern, but blanked on both.

French Revolution was definitely 0/5 for me.

Also blanked on Gore, Rosa Parks, and Upton Sinclair.

Ran New Words.

Old Dominion and Blake Shelton? The writers are pandering to me again. Now do clues on Undertale, Night in the Woods, Sturgill Simpson, stroopwafel, Anthrocon, and SCP Foundation.

No guess on FJ!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 am Bif had glasses on today. He could see the score display, but the wager on DD3 cost him over $50,000. And it likely cost him a spot in the ToC as well. Ouch. A win of $55,601 would have been a huge start to the week.
Maybe Eric STAYs CLAM on FRENCH REVOLUTION $800 if the scores are different. I think that's a good way of rationalizing this situation; it's one of those situations one fixates on too much, otherwise.
Bif had $12,400 going into DD3 against Eric's $25,800. There's $7200 in clues left on the board. Bif bets $8000. If he misses, he's essentially finished. (Technically he could win by getting all 6 remaining clues if Eric beats him to the buzzer and negs on at least $1300 worth of clues, so yeah, he's toast.) Given that, and given the drubbing he's been experiencing, there is no upside to holding back $4400 on that DD. With it he would have won the game. Since Bif's a mathematician, I suspect he's already run these numbers and understood what he did to himself. Poor guy.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

I know I am being both petty and silly, but Eric's "bullfrog stance" bugs me. That was quite an impressive total, though.
Teems with quiet fun.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:48 pm With it he would have won the game.
Once more, for the people in the back:
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm Maybe Eric STAYs CLAM on FRENCH REVOLUTION $800 if the scores are different.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Fantastic game. Tough way to lose for Bif, but congrats to Eric for a superb performance and a massive payday. Definitely amongst the best debuts in show history.

Spelled Final "Gray's" although I caught my spelling error after the music ended.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:48 pm With it he would have won the game.
Once more, for the people in the back:
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:27 pm Maybe Eric STAYs CLAM on FRENCH REVOLUTION $800 if the scores are different.
If Bif had bet it all on DD3, he would have had $28000 to Eric's $27800 when that $800 clue came up with two clues left on the board. Do you really think Eric would have been LESS likely to ring in on that ante-penultimate clue if he was behind by $200? Anything's possible, of course, but I tend to doubt it. That said, I grant that if things had gone that way and Eric still picked up the remaining $800 clue, he would have been ahead going into final.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Surprised "Hepburn" didn't get a BMS.

Oh, crap, I overthought it and said "стиляги" (transliterated as eight-letter "stiliagi," but the Russian word is seven letters long) instead of "beatnik"

"Baby-proof" doesn't seem all that new...

Thank you for pronouncing "Mackinac" correctly!

The men Yente finds! The last one was so old, and he had no hair...

The anti-monarchist in me refuses to refer to him as anything but Louis Capet.

Coryat: $45,200

J: 27R3P. Got DD. 5/5 on Ring, Diamonds, Side Stones, and "Onics." 4/5 on Emerald. 3/5 on Classic Setting.

DJ: 26R2P2W. 1/2 on DDs. 5/5 on French Revolution and Title Tunes. 4/5 on the rest.

FJ: Instaget. Primetime TV show, been on a long time, "Complications" sounds medical-ish.

LT: Tess of the d'Urbervilles, kente, Fear
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I childproofed my house, but they keep managing to get back in. (OK, so it was babyproof instead of childproof, but that line always amused me.)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:44 pm Surprised "Hepburn" didn't get a BMS.
Bugs me every time this happens.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It's simple enough to say Bif very likely could have won the game if he bets it all on the DD. No guarantees everything plays out the same but no obvious reason to think it would play out differently. It's just surprising, he seemed to understand the spot he was in on the first DD, the scores at the last DD seemed to make it very obvious what the move should be but he didn't pull the trigger. Of course if they ask a different final this is a totally different conversation. If Friday's Shakespeare FJ comes up then he may have won himself the game by betting short on the DD, there's always some luck-of-the-draw. Today's was a very good FJ to be the leader, good for Eric for taking advantage and earning both a hefty Coryat and a hefty first-game payday.
Golf

Post by Golf »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 pm Once more, for the people in the back:
Penguins can read, penguin just didn't agree with you. Nor do I, like Opus, I tend to believe he would have been more likely to ring in had the game been tighter. And judging by the look on his face when ruled incorrect, he was quite confident in his answer.

Regardless, it does not change the fact that he made a dreadful DD wager, which almost certainly cost him what Mark outlined above.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

I was pleasantly shocked when that clue about Wrigley Field In L.A. came up as twenty minutes earlier I'd been reading all about it in the last chapter of Jane Leavy's "The Big Fella, Babe Ruth and the World He Created". Seems the Babe played a kind of famous barnstorming game there, lots of Hollywood baseball flicks (including The Babe Ruth Story, were filmed there, and the expansion L.A. Angels played their first season there. I was unaware of this last tidbit, which was key to the clue. It would have been even better had it been FJ (not to mention had I been at the podium rather than on my couch!) but it's cool when serendipity happens.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Only missing Historionics, Shoulder, and Drummel.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Death in Venice, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Kente, Fear
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,800
48 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (none)

Yikes. And from a mathematician.
Sprinkles are for winners.