LL79: For the LLamas

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL79: For the LLamas

Post by morbeedo »

Anyone know the split of M/F in the current LL roster? It seems like I'm only matched up against a female opponent 1 in 10 or so match days
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 pm Anyone know the split of M/F in the current LL roster? It seems like I'm only matched up against a female opponent 1 in 10 or so match days
"27.2% of all LL79 registrants report as female", per the Commish.

https://www.learnedleague.com/viewtopic ... 23#p126399
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

My 20th century women group has 3 females, 1 non-binary, 1 cis-gendered male, and the remaining 7 male. That is pretty spot-on for the league average, I think.

I am really excited to have finished 10th (98th percentile) in oncology. I teach two lectures on chemotherapy later this term, which helped tremendously. :-)
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 pm Anyone know the split of M/F in the current LL roster? It seems like I'm only matched up against a female opponent 1 in 10 or so match days
I posted upstream a ways a similar question because I thought it was unusual that my rundle last season (Prarie E div 1) was 18 women and 6 men.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:52 am First in my Video Game group! The bad news is 7 of 12 players have gone 8 for 12 in questions so this is still shaping up to be a moderate group of death.
Group of death still going strong. 8 over 50% get rate, and 5 of those over 66%. One's even 29/30...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Made a top 100 finish in the Novelty Country Music 1D despite not being able to play any of the sound clips. I have always been deeply invested in novelty tunes of all genres.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

RJRouge wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:20 pm Made a top 100 finish in the Novelty Country Music 1D despite not being able to play any of the sound clips. I have always been deeply invested in novelty tunes of all genres.
Thank you for playing anyway. I knew it was going to play hard, but I didn't think it would go that hard. Ah, well.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Missed the first question of electromagnetism, and missed my first chance to win a 1ds. I knew it was Oersted who first deflected a compass with an electric current, but misplaced him in Sweden, not Denmark. Lost to first place by 15 points.

I know I can't tell those languages apart : I watched season one of 'The Bridge' and could never tell which country they were in.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I forfeited for the first time since I joined in 2011. At least it was a minileague and as such won't show up on my overall record (and at least other players in my group had previously forfeited so I wasn't sullying a pristine level of participation), but I hate hate hate that it's now something I've done.

I would have scored 7(4), against the same number correct put up by my opponent. I don't know if my defense (which I didn't bother attempting to simulate) would have won me the match, but random chance puts it at a 60% possibility (with the remaining 40% split equally between losing and tying). The worst part is that I was in second place against third place, in a MPD-broken three-way tie for the lead, and now second place is out of my reach.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I've shot myself in the foot so many times in the Womens ML...Only put chromosome on day 1, cost me a win. The whole Sherlock Holmes thing on Day 2 ended up costing me a win (lost by 2, Opp gave me 0 and I gave her 3, both of us have lit as a worst category). Day 5 lost 0(1) - 1(1), and yesterday lost 1(1) - 2(1) when my Koin came up XC Skiing instead of Gymnastics and "Girl Next Door" instead of "Americas Sweetheart"...Ugh
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 am I forfeited for the first time since I joined in 2011. At least it was a minileague and as such won't show up on my overall record (and at least other players in my group had previously forfeited so I wasn't sullying a pristine level of participation), but I hate hate hate that it's now something I've done.

I would have scored 7(4), against the same number correct put up by my opponent. I don't know if my defense (which I didn't bother attempting to simulate) would have won me the match, but random chance puts it at a 60% possibility (with the remaining 40% split equally between losing and tying). The worst part is that I was in second place against third place, in a MPD-broken three-way tie for the lead, and now second place is out of my reach.
I keep forgetting that MLs have 11 match days, not 10. And the guy in first place just forfeited. Our records are tied again, so second place is once more a possibility, but his MPD is 9 better than mine, so my only hope is that I just have a better result than he does (tying or winning while he loses, or winning while he ties).
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I'm 7-3 in Video Games and will win on MD11 because my opponent hasn't shown up yet, but I'm eliminated from championship contention. It seems as though if you lose more than two games, you're out of the running, because I went 8-3 in the American West and failed to qualify. I'm 4-3 in Women so far.
Hoping for a third lap
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Tintin/Asterix Koin flip cost me another win...
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

Congrats to my favorite physicist and husband, Boson, for his 5th place finish in Thermodynamics!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 am I forfeited for the first time since I joined in 2011. At least it was a minileague and as such won't show up on my overall record (and at least other players in my group had previously forfeited so I wasn't sullying a pristine level of participation), but I hate hate hate that it's now something I've done.

I keep forgetting that MLs have 11 match days, not 10. And the guy in first place just forfeited. Our records are tied again, so second place is once more a possibility, but his MPD is 9 better than mine, so my only hope is that I just have a better result than he does (tying or winning while he loses, or winning while he ties).
I won while he tied, so I made the finals. Lucky me...?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

cmp146 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm Congrats to my favorite physicist and husband, Boson, for his 5th place finish in Thermodynamics!
Way to go, Boson! I ended up with 9/12 after badly overthinking 3 very gettable questions. As an aside, this was a far easier quiz than I'd expected. I had cold sweats just trying to recall the formula for heat capacity that I'd last seen in undergrad thermo about 40 years ago :mrgreen:
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I went 8/12 on Thermo but finished slightly ahead of former Harvard physics instructor (among other things) PahkJ. I haven't used thermo much since grad school.
I had one of my highest-ever 1DS finishes in "Bird Nerds OR ELSE," which was a lot of fun.
Hoping for a third lap
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

sarisson wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm I went 8/12 on Thermo but finished slightly ahead of former Harvard physics instructor (among other things) PahkJ. I haven't used thermo much since grad school.
This attracted my attention because I happened to end up tied with PahkJ. I guess I still remember some stuff from my B.S. in chemical engineering that I got a long time ago.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Thanks...

I don't think I'll ever win one of these 1DSs: I taught thermodynamics for several years (not by choice - but my penance is done) and knew all 12 quickly. I couldn't quite get the moneys right. The wording on the first law of thermodynamics question was odd, and confused me at first, so I took a flyer on that confusing others... but no luck. Knowing how to money them exactly is beyond me. You can learn a lot about me by the 1DS I've done well in: thermodynamics, electrodynamics, condensed matter physics, astronomical observatories, canadian foods, canadian sports, rare-earth elements, and just images - fruit.

Ok, maybe not from the just images fruit...

But that bird ID one-day was brilliant, wasn't it? I loved trying to puzzle things out and use my tiny amount of bird knowledge to rule things out.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

sarisson wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:06 pm I went 8/12 on Thermo but finished slightly ahead of former Harvard physics instructor (among other things) PahkJ. I haven't used thermo much since grad school.
I had one of my highest-ever 1DS finishes in "Bird Nerds OR ELSE," which was a lot of fun.
Top ten finish for me in that one for me!

I have a masters in mechanical engineering, so probably should have done better than 71% on thermo, but it's definitely been a long time since I've used it. I did miss out on some points by putting -273 and -460 for the absolute zero question.