Jeopardy All-Star Games

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Jeopardy All-Star Games

Post by JayK33 »

So I'm assuming this will replace the ToC for this season? I'm thinking we probably won't be having the next ToC until November 2019 or so. It makes sense too since we haven't really had 3-time champs in ToCs lately and there are quite a few on the current leaderboard still.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

JayK33 wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:37 am So I'm assuming this will replace the ToC for this season? I'm thinking we probably won't be having the next ToC until November 2019 or so. It makes sense too since we haven't really had 3-time champs in ToCs lately and there are quite a few on the current leaderboard still.
I would like to think your assumption is right, but we can't be sure of this just yet. I agree that another two-year cycle could be a good idea considering how few four and five time champs have taken the stage over the past year, unless there are several in a row coming up whose games will be airing later this fall/winter. If memory serves only one 3x champ has played in a ToC over the last five years?

On the other side of this debate, I saw a tweet recently (TJ!F, I think?) that suggested a February '19 ToC might be possible because the All-Star tourney is taking place in mid-February, leaving the first two weeks of the month open. Usually those weeks contain a college championship, but seeing as how no online test has been conducted for that tourney yet this year, those two weeks could be filled by regular games, a ToC, celebrity week/tourney (baseless speculation, but I would not be surprised by that). At this point it's anyone's guess.

Long story short, we will have to wait a few months more and find out. :)
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Two years between TOCs seems so long, I know we just did it but hopefully they aren't going to make that the new normal. I would think May is a better spot than February, 18 months from the previous TOC and leaves them flexible with the following one to put it in either November or February and be 18 or 21 months later. Whatever would have been in May, college or teachers, could then be in those early February weeks. I wouldn't be a fan of putting the TOC right before the All-Star tournament, it would be kind of a bummer for the TOC qualifiers to be so overshadowed by this big new first-time event.
josephulton

Post by josephulton »

Does anyone know what days they will be taping the tournament? The website says January, but does anyone know the specific dates? Thanks in advance...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

josephulton wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 pm Does anyone know what days they will be taping the tournament? The website says January, but does anyone know the specific dates? Thanks in advance...
Yes.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4836

It's not as bad as a needle in a haystack. :)
josephulton

Post by josephulton »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:15 pm
josephulton wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:36 pm Does anyone know what days they will be taping the tournament? The website says January, but does anyone know the specific dates? Thanks in advance...
Yes.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4836

It's not as bad as a needle in a haystack. :)
Thanks, looked through this thread before posting. Read thru again and found Jan 8 and 9. Not sure why I didn't find the first time.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

So, going off what I know personally of the tape dates and when the ticket line says taping is resuming (I just got off the phone calling the ticket number), I am going to posit that the tournament tapings will not be open to the general public and that tickets (assuming it is not going to be a closed set) will be restricted to invited guests of the show and the players.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Spiny Norman
Valued Contributor

Post by Spiny Norman »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:34 pm
So, going off what I know personally of the tape dates and when the ticket line says taping is resuming (I just got off the phone calling the ticket number), I am going to posit that the tournament tapings will not be open to the general public and that tickets (assuming it is not going to be a closed set) will be restricted to invited guests of the show and the players.
I was in the studio late October/early November to watch Jackie Fuchs' tape her episodes. I was with someone who asked Maggie about guests for the All Star tapings. The contestants only get 2 guest slots (vs. the usual 6). The rest of the audience will be production guests. Maggie confirmed that the general public has no chance to watch the All Star taping next week.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

https://www.jeopardy.com/sites/default/ ... une_in.pdf

The JEOPARDY! All-Star Games will air over the course of 10 weekdays from Wednesday, February 20 to Friday [sic], March 5, 2019. The first round of play consists of two two-game matches played over three shows. The first-round match-ups are:

Match 1 – Airing Wednesday, Feb. 20 to Friday, Feb. 22
Team Colby vs. Team Buzzy vs. Team Brad

Match 2 – Airing Monday, Feb. 25 to Wednesday, Feb. 27
Team Julia vs. Team Ken vs. Team Austin

To learn more about how the tournament works, watch this explanatory video:

The winning team will share a $1 million grand prize; the second place team will split $300,000 and the
third place team will take home $100,000.
Andy Saunders
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

"The first round of play consists of two two-game matches played over three shows."

Ummm, what? Why would you do that?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm "The first round of play consists of two two-game matches played over three shows."

Presumably there will be more chatting. I think J! is pretty proud of these all stars, and will have longer interviews and retrospectives on their lives (like what they have on the web page now).

Weren't the Watson games also 2 games over 3 days?
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

boson wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm "The first round of play consists of two two-game matches played over three shows."

Presumably there will be more chatting. I think J! is pretty proud of these all stars, and will have longer interviews and retrospectives on their lives (like what they have on the web page now).

The IBM Challenge had the Jeopardy! round of game 1 on Monday, the remainder of the opening game on Tuesday, and the full second game on Wednesday. The extra time on the first two days was filled with background/"human interest" pieces about the contestants.

As to why... I initially groaned at the thought of only getting eight games of Jeopardy! from ten episodes. But I tried to put on a producer's hat. This is supposed to be a ratings driver, in much the same way the IBM Challenge was eight years ago - then, as now, the show is doing something it's never done before. Thus it's adding this extra material with an eye not toward those like us who watch the program night in and night out, but those who don't normally tune in, to get them invested for the whole two weeks, and hopefully beyond that.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mfc248 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:33 pm
boson wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 pm

The IBM Challenge had the Jeopardy! round of game 1 on Monday, the remainder of the opening game on Tuesday, and the full second game on Wednesday. The extra time on the first two days was filled with background/"human interest" pieces about the contestants.

As to why... I initially groaned at the thought of only getting eight games of Jeopardy! from ten episodes. But I tried to put on a producer's hat. This is supposed to be a ratings driver, in much the same way the IBM Challenge was eight years ago - then, as now, the show is doing something it's never done before. Thus it's adding this extra material with an eye not toward those like us who watch the program night in and night out, but those who don't normally tune in, to get them invested for the whole two weeks, and hopefully beyond that.
Yeah, we're not exactly the target TV audience here. We're the audience that brings in the TV audience :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I would have seeded the teams

1. Brad
2. Buzzy
3. Colby
4. Ken
5. Austin
6. Julia

and TPTB put a 1 v 2 v 3 && 4 v 5 v 6 for the opening round :shock: :evil: :roll:
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

cf1140 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:14 pm I would have seeded the teams

1. Brad
2. Buzzy
3. Colby
4. Ken
5. Austin
6. Julia

and TPTB put a 1 v 2 v 3 && 4 v 5 v 6 for the opening round :shock: :evil: :roll:
Put a team with Ken Jennings and Matt Jackson on it at #4 at your peril.
Andy Saunders
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:21 pm Weren't the Watson games also 2 games over 3 days?
Good point. Well, that's what DVRs are for; so I can speed through all the nonsense.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

The Watson match was 2 games over 3 days, sure, but parts of the match draaaaaaggggged because of it IMO. Here though, there should be plenty of good interviews to fill the time; this definitely isn't a boring bunch.

I'll look over the matchups later and make some sure-to-be-wrong predictions.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:28 pmThe JEOPARDY! All-Star Games will air over the course of 10 weekdays from Wednesday, February 20 to Friday, March 5, 2019.
Or what in the U.S. we call Tuesday.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:14 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:28 pmThe JEOPARDY! All-Star Games will air over the course of 10 weekdays from Wednesday, February 20 to Friday, March 5, 2019.
Or what in the U.S. we call Tuesday.
I ran a straight copypasta of the press release. This one's on Jeopardy.
Andy Saunders