Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

Not necessarily something I knew for fact. I got Africa instantly. I got it out of process of elimination: Australia hosted in 2000, North America- there's Atlanta, Salt Lake City and Vancouver. Europe has had Athens in 2004 and Asis in 2008 with Beijing. So the only ones left were Africa and South America. Although, that will change by 2016 come Rio. I'm willing to believe Africa will wait quite a while given the poor shape it is in unless it comes to some place with Cape Town or Johannesburg or something.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Olympics History
Besides Antarctica, the 2 continents that have never hosted the Summer or Winter Olympic Games.
Spoiler
What are Africa and South America?
Elyse Mancuso: $13,200+10,000=$23,200
Rose Schaefer: $9,400+$3,000=$12,400
Catherine Briley: $7,400+$2,600=$10,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu May 10, 2012 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

FJ was instaget, insultingly easy, and...familiar. I might be confusing it with another clue, but I swear they've asked us this before.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:FJ was instaget, insultingly easy, and...familiar. I might be confusing it with another clue, but I swear they've asked us this before.
It was for me, too, but I kept thinking, "Really? It's never had one? Guess not."

Big, fat 0-fer in TV SHOWS BY CHARACTER. I'd never even heard of 3 of them.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Goonies kept me from running Wheel of Movie Taglines. Only very, very, VERY barely heard of Goonies, so I don't know a thing about the movie besides its title. Also, I love how no one told them that Wheel puzzles are left-aligned, not center-aligned.

Any way I'd know those attractions would be in Phoenix and not Santa Fe? Both seemed to make equal sense to me.

Kid in the middle is lucky. My US history teachers all sucked pond scum, and I never had world history. I think I've been forever spoiled on US history beause I keep flashing back to the boring drones of HS history, the tl;dr tomes of Civil War and Michigan History, and my uncanny ability to take notes on EVERYthing in the chapter except what we were tested on, leaving me with about five "where the hell was THAT? I don't remember reading THAT in the chapter!" moments.

TV Show Characters I predicted I'd 0/5. I was not let down — Pretty Little Liars is the only one of those five I've even heard of.

Should've run French Folk, but my brain turned off long enough for me to blank on the first 3 names. I don't know why, but this whole week, I just keep running into long spells where I just zone out on even the most basic and obvious of clues. And yet it never happens on Wheel…

Um… Olympics never hosted in… um… um… well, I know it's been in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia. But it MUST have been in South America at some point, and I can't imagine Africa being left out either. Trick question!

====
Note to Archivists: Spelling fail on Foreign Foods for $400; the tilde was missing on "España". Is this worth noting on the archive?
====
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Any way I'd know those attractions would be in Phoenix and not Santa Fe? Both seemed to make equal sense to me.
No clue. I went to Santa Fe, as well.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

This was an okay game to watch, except for too many negs by the players.

FJ was very easy. Elyse was smart to make a big wager.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Um… Olympics never hosted in… um… um… well, I know it's been in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia. But it MUST have been in South America at some point, and I can't imagine Africa being left out either. Trick question!
Sigh.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Any way I'd know those attractions would be in Phoenix and not Santa Fe? Both seemed to make equal sense to me.
No clue. I went to Santa Fe, as well.
Whereas I spotted the 50/50/90, punked out, and waited for one of them to answer, getting Phoenix on the rebound :twisted:
econgator wrote: Big, fat 0-fer in TV SHOWS BY CHARACTER. I'd never even heard of 3 of them.
The only thing that saved me from the 0-fer was the very clear description of two kids being Switched at Birth.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Not quite an instaget, especially with Rio hosting the 2016 Olympics.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

econgator wrote:Big, fat 0-fer in TV SHOWS BY CHARACTER. I'd never even heard of 3 of them.
I was 0/5 too, and hadn't heard of 4 of them.
I too said Santa Fe.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DWS wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Um… Olympics never hosted in… um… um… well, I know it's been in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia. But it MUST have been in South America at some point, and I can't imagine Africa being left out either. Trick question!
Sigh.
Well, seriously. What DO you do when you try to reason it out, and your reasoning can only come up with one answer when the clue asks for two?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

What was with the first commercial break coming after just 11 clues? Then they had to end the J! round with 2 clues left on the board, leaving time for Alex to babble on about the "two-day, total point affair" approximately 11 times in DJ, then again at the FJ category reveal, then talk about interesting wagering possibilities before the reveal of the FJ responses. There weren't even any celebrity readers or a huge amount of stand-and-stares in this show, at least not that I noticed, so I saw absolutely no reason why all of the clues shouldn't have been revealed.Why bother writing 61 clues if the host and/or editors feel absolutely no need to make a legitimate effort to allow us to see them all?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:No clue. I went to Santa Fe, as well.
I have never been to Santa Fe. But I have been to the Desert Botanical Gardens. That's how I knew it was Phoenix and not Santa Fe.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

An excellent game with three well-matched players. It was a lot of fun to watch. You can see the back of my head on the zoom-in shot at the very beginning. Talk about excitement!
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

xxaaaxx wrote:FJ was instaget, insultingly easy, and...familiar. I might be confusing it with another clue, but I swear they've asked us this before.
I agree with the "insulting." I understand that it makes better television to showcase teens getting a lot of answers correct instead of showing them being stumped, but did they really think there was a possibility that somebody who made it to the final wouldn't get that question? I suppose the contestants could go for Australia instead of South America, but they are all old enough to remember the Australian summer games.

It's too bad that Rose and Catherine didn't recognize that finals have been very easy and bet more. Hopefully they realize that they're in a hole and make a bold bet if they get a Daily Double tomorrow, instead of the timid bets that have been characteristic of this tournament.
Last edited by soxfan99 on Thu May 10, 2012 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
DWS wrote:
Sigh.
Well, seriously. What DO you do when you try to reason it out, and your reasoning can only come up with one answer when the clue asks for two?
I don't see anywhere in your reasoning where you're sure South America had hosted the games. You affirm the other four, then you merely assume South America. (To further confuse the issue, you say you came up with one of the two, assuming you mean Africa, yet you give that as much of a "freebie" as you gave South America).

So, six continents. You KNOW they've been in four for sure. Even if you think they probably sort of must've maybe could've possibly should've perhaps been in the last two, you admit you could only confirm four continents. So those four answers cannot possibly be correct. When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
DWS wrote:
Sigh.
Look at what you wrote (with italics added): "I know it's been North America, Europe, Asia, Australia." Stop right there. What does that leave? South America and Africa. Done.

(ETA: I see Paucle beat my response by a few seconds.)