The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 am
The Alps are in Italy too? I thought they were only in Switzerland.
And just to stretch your (geographic) mind a little more, also in France, Austria, and Germany. [If I've missed any, please pile on.]
Italy!, Monaco, Liechtenstein (I was there last year!), and Slovenia.
And don't forget Italy. Surprised no one's mentioned it yet.
I just spent the last hour or so on Google Earth and if you zoom in just right it looks like part of the Alps are in Italy too.

[edit: Would've been funnier if Alietr hadn't snuck in between.]
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:19 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:16 am
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:10 am
OrangeSAM wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 am
The Alps are in Italy too? I thought they were only in Switzerland.
And just to stretch your (geographic) mind a little more, also in France, Austria, and Germany. [If I've missed any, please pile on.]
Italy!, Monaco, Liechtenstein (I was there last year!), and Slovenia.
And don't forget Italy. Surprised no one's mentioned it yet.
Jeez. Now I'm no one.
Along with TPH and the Jeopardy! writers. But not Emily Dickinson. She's nobody.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

soup du jour is soup of the day

journée is day
jour is also day just to confuse you more

I can't help with the Shakespeare as I was with econgator on pick a comedy. Later I looked and found out All's Well That Ends Well is not even marked as a comedy on Wikipedia but instead a problem play. Whatever that means. Yeah, the whole clue was a problem as far as my scoresheet was concerned.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm So how did everyone get filibuster?
By paying attention to political news for the past decade.
Yes, something that happened in 1917 was in the news last week. Did you hear about that big ship that sank?
Just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's wrong.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm Just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's wrong.
Okay, what impact does something happening in 1917 have on today's news? Are you saying that literally nothing has changed in 102 years?

Also where the HELL was the TOM in this?
650 miles off the U.S., it was the site of a 1609 shipwreck of colonists bound for Jamestown that may have inspired “The Tempest”
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 pm Just because you don't like my answer doesn't mean it's wrong.
Okay, what impact does something happening in 1917 have on today's news? Are you saying that literally nothing has changed in 102 years?

650 miles off the U.S., it was the site of a 1609 shipwreck of colonists bound for Jamestown that may have inspired “The Tempest”
*sigh* I shouldn't, but what the heck...

Re: filibuster. One of the favorite tactics of the clue writers is to take something from current events and find past historical events about it.
So the clue did not depend on knowing what the Senate was doing in 1917, the clue depended on knowing what the Senate has spent over half of its existence trying to manage. The filibuster is a uniquely problematic Senate issue. Yes, we know you hate making connection leaps like that.

Re: Bermuda. Name an island off the eastern US coast. There's only one. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5194219 ... 1489,5.06z
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm Re: filibuster. One of the favorite tactics of the clue writers is to take something from current events and find past historical events about it.
So the clue did not depend on knowing what the Senate was doing in 1917, the clue depended on knowing what the Senate has spent over half of its existence trying to manage. The filibuster is a uniquely problematic Senate issue. Yes, we know you hate making connection leaps like that.
That's not so much a leap as it is a maze.
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm Re: Bermuda. Name an island off the eastern US coast. There's only one. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5194219 ... 1489,5.06z

Add "which islands are off the US" to "things I have tried to learn a billion times and failed at".

What planet is the biggest, again?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm So how did everyone get filibuster?
By paying attention to political news for the past decade.
Yes, something that happened in 1917 was in the news last week. Did you hear about that big ship that sank?
Pro tip: when trying to express a sarcastic "right, everyone knows about this event from over a century ago," it does not suit your purposes to cite an event from over a century ago that everyone actually does know about.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm still not following the trail of bread crumbs on that one at ALL.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pmWhat planet is the biggest, again?
Plant this seed in your brain and see if it bears fruit:
JUpiter is JUmbo
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pmWhat planet is the biggest, again?
Look, ultimately you just have to know certain things. The difference between you and I is if there's something I don't know that everyone else seems to know, I say "cool, I learned something new", not "how was I supposed to know that".

For someone who watches a trivia show and frequents a message board about said show, you seem to give up a lot and not try to learn at all.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

*sigh* I shouldn't, but what the heck...

Re: filibuster. One of the favorite tactics of the clue writers is to take something from current events and find past historical events about it.

Re: Bermuda. Name an island off the eastern US coast. There's only one. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5194219 ... 1489,5.06z
plus the whole shipwreck angle
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm Re: filibuster. One of the favorite tactics of the clue writers is to take something from current events and find past historical events about it.
That's not so much a leap as it is a maze.
Volante wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:41 pm Re: Bermuda. Name an island off the eastern US coast. There's only one. https://www.google.com/maps/@32.5194219 ... 1489,5.06z

Add "which islands are off the US" to "things I have tried to learn a billion times and failed at".

What planet is the biggest, again?
That you don't know stuff doesn't mean that the clue writers are doing it wrong.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am Look, ultimately you just have to know certain things. The difference between you and I is if there's something I don't know that everyone else seems to know, I say "cool, I learned something new", not "how was I supposed to know that".

For someone who watches a trivia show and frequents a message board about said show, you seem to give up a lot and not try to learn at all.
Then why has literally nothing that I've tried made certain things stick? I still forget where the Caribbean is too, because it just SOUNDS like it should be much further away than it really is.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Hugh Grant was in a clue 1/29/19 in the clue for About A Boy. He's a famous actor who will come up in clues again.

U.K. country narrows the choices. Highlands gives you Scotland. Glencoe itself? Yeah, who cares.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:44 pm Hugh Grant was in a clue 1/29/19 in the clue for About A Boy. He's a famous actor who will come up in clues again.
And you know how I am with generic names like that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 am Any reason I should know any of those movie quotes? Especially since none of them were actually funny?
As I pointed out, Alex at least thought the Mean Girls ESPN quote was funny. So did I.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:12 am Any reason I should know any of those movie quotes? Especially since none of them were actually funny?
As I pointed out, Alex at least thought the Mean Girls ESPN quote was funny. So did I.
I swear I've heard at least 400 billion other people make that exact same malapropism before Mean Girls even existed.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:40 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:30 am
I swear I've heard at least 400 billion other people make that exact same malapropism before Mean Girls even existed.
[citation needed]
TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, February 15, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Again, "Charles Goodyear" is just not stored in my head as an "inventor", and neither is (to pick another name from a recent FJ!) James Dyson. Nor do I have Freud filed in my head as a "doctor" (although that's probably because I keep forgetting that "psychiatrist" is a subset of "doctor").

Anyone else have that problem? Fail to pull FJ! because the correct response is just not in the right folder on your mental hard drive?