Monday, February 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

FJ Fail. For no good reason, I kind of combine Jules Verne and H.G. Wells although War of the Worlds is pretty obviously more modern and not involving horses and buggies. I mentally went toward Arthur C. Clarke and knew it was not the right era either. If I'd remembered Wells, I would have gone with it, but worried about his nationality since the WOTW starts in New Jersey (I think - maybe that was just the broadcast version).

I was already dreading the category but this is one I should have gotten. I just named Arthur Conan Doyle to have a cromulent guess. There's some junk science in there, if not scifi.

A big surprise at the reveal and the wagering. Tough spot to be in for the leader. I think the gameplay will amp up in a couple of days.

ETA - I didn't care for the helicopter clue. I get there if I think about "fixed wing" vs. ______, but otherwise, I say "whirlybird". Which is stupid, yes.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Golf

Post by Golf »

DBear wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 pm How in this universe is this a TS? These are J-class players, right? British, sci-fi, 1866, WECIB.
Asimov, a Russian? Verne, a Frenchman? Clarke was probably the best guess of the bunch but the date disqualifies him.
I'm sorry, but I am absolutely, as the Brits would say, gobsmacked that this is a TS. I would have thought it a triget.
I don't disagree, but remember a couple of things.

1, this is not multiple choice, any player can momentarily blank on even the simplest clue.
2, any answer is better than leaving it blank.

Personally, I thought Desert Inn and the Maine as TS's were more blatant than the FJ clue.

And hooray for a savvy wager winning the game.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

totebags wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm I know this isn't the place for snark, but did that one contestant say (and I'm paraphrasing), "Yes, I haven't been west of the Mississippi but I have been to Africa. This was in 2001, pre-9/11 *luckily*" Is there something I'm missing about going to Africa pre versus post 9/11?
Of course - he didn't have to take his shoes off at security! And he could leave his laptop in his totebag (sorry :roll: ).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Only missing Lisa Vanderpump and Omarosa.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Neo-Natal, Humane, Speedy, Flemish, Norton Anthology, Lyre, Rotorcraft, Gaza Strip, Lebanon, USS Maine, Punic Wars, Desert Inn
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:54 pm Spotted British, science fiction, and 19th century, and no one could get the answer. Yeesh.
Yeah, triple stumper was surprising. WECIB?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:47 pm But OQ only asked for the 1st = 2nd + half of 3rd scenarios up to season 20. Are we sure it hasn't happened in the last 15 years (minus a month)?

I witnessed live in studio such a scenario in 2009. First and second place both missed, but third place didn't bet $0. And she was lucky she didn't, because second place did!
I was about to say, the one post-2004 scenario where the margin of victory was $1 was that game.

The only other time where this happened in the last 15 years where third bet $0 and there was a Triple Stumper was when a leader bet a non-covering round number and won because of it. (2014-06-11).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

not sure how that was a triple stumper...i got it correct and i know jack crap when it comes to literature
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

DBear wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 pm :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
How in this universe is this a TS? These are J-class players, right? British, sci-fi, 1866, WECIB.
Asimov, a Russian? Verne, a Frenchman? Clarke was probably the best guess of the bunch but the date disqualifies him.
I'm sorry, but I am absolutely, as the Brits would say, gobsmacked that this is a TS. I would have thought it a triget.
i agree...never heard of that clarke person before though
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:55 am
DBear wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:35 pm :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
How in this universe is this a TS? These are J-class players, right? British, sci-fi, 1866, WECIB.
You've never heard of 2001: A Space Odyssey?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

totebags wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 pm I know this isn't the place for snark, but did that one contestant say (and I'm paraphrasing), "Yes, I haven't been west of the Mississippi but I have been to Africa. This was in 2001, pre-9/11 *luckily*" Is there something I'm missing about going to Africa pre versus post 9/11?

ETA: OK now I see the transcript of the interview above. It's even weirder than I imagine. Guy must have been nervous.
Doug: Yes, that's correct. But I have been to Africa, and so that's kinda weird. We had been on a mission trip to Africa in 2001, before September 11, thankfully. And got an opportunity to go experience that, but had not really been traveling any further west than Memphis
sounds kind of like me...have been to the continent of africa (tunisia), but have never been to new york city and i live 3 hrs from there
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:55 am
You've never heard of 2001: A Space Odyssey?
yeah i have heard of that...couldn't have told you who write it though...as i mentioned...i don't know crap about literature
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:08 am

ETA: OK now I see the transcript of the interview above. It's even weirder than I imagine. Guy must have been nervous.
Doug: Yes, that's correct. But I have been to Africa, and so that's kinda weird. We had been on a mission trip to Africa in 2001, before September 11, thankfully. And got an opportunity to go experience that, but had not really been traveling any further west than Memphis
sounds kind of like me...have been to the continent of africa (tunisia), but have never been to new york city and i live 3 hrs from there

Oh, it's more about how he framed the story, not the experience itself.
"Haven't been west of Mississippi. Have been to Africa." OK.
"Kinda weird." Sorta.
"2001." Nice additional detail.
"But before 9/11." OK...
"Thankfully" Wait, what.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I'm thinking that this FJ will do at least 80% in the weekly poll.
davey

Post by davey »

totebags wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:31 am

"Kinda weird." Sorta.
"But before 9/11." OK...
"Thankfully" Wait, what.
Maybe he got back just before 9/11, thus escaping some complications - and fear - of international travel. That might stick in one's mind...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,400
49 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: neonatal, Humane, speedy, Flemish, Gaza Strip, USS Maine (I remembered!), Punic Wars, Desert Inn

Well, there are only two 19th Century sci-fi writers J! asks about, and Verne was French, so...
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:09 pm Runcible was a NHOI. And a google search turns up only a nonsense word by Edward Lear and some kind of timepiece. I found absolutely no reference to it being a type of spoon. Can someone prove this?
The Owl and the Pussycat
"They dined on mince, and slices of quince,
Which they ate with a runcible spoon"

I wasn't aware of any of that before the episode, but I had heard of a spork being called a runcible spoon.
totebags wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:31 am Oh, it's more about how he framed the story, not the experience itself.
"Kinda weird." Sorta.
"But before 9/11." OK...
"Thankfully" Wait, what.
Taking an international flight in 2001, in terms of both anxiety and hassle, would have been much more enjoyable pre-9/11 than post-.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

Taking an international flight in 2001, in terms of both anxiety and hassle, would have been much more enjoyable pre-9/11 than post-.
Not to mention the retroactive fear of "What if the terrorists had chosen my flight?" (Although all the actual 9/11 flights were domestic flights.) It is not a fully coherent linear thought, but neither is it worth getting hung up over.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I also winced upon seeing the FJ category: BritLit not my strong suit. However, I put down Wells with fair confidence. Um, Verne? Maybe a moment of complete brain fart followed by "any answer is better than no answer."

I wasn't as surprised as many here to see that this was a TS. More shocking to me were the blanks on neonatal, speedy trial, and USS Maine. I got all three plus (Orpheus') lyre and the Punic Wars to pick up $5,800 in LT. Along with my FJ get, that's a win from the imaginary fourth podium.

Ran the cat: Depression Era Dining. Maybe not my proudest J! accomplishment, since TPH says he also did so.

And what can I say? As many times as I lament horrible FJ wagering, I would be remiss if I were to fail to congratulate all three for spot-on wagering in this game. Rachel? Who taught you wagering strategy? Give that person a big hug, and congrats to you for the $0 FJ wager. It may have been counter-intuitive but it was perfect and it won the game that would have been ever so easy to lose. You're my new hero!!
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

davey wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:00 am
totebags wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:31 am

"Kinda weird." Sorta.
"But before 9/11." OK...
"Thankfully" Wait, what.
Maybe he got back just before 9/11, thus escaping some complications - and fear - of international travel. That might stick in one's mind...
it was a pain in the azz soon after...i think i traveled internationally maybe 4 days later....was detained for a while en route to europe...they had dudes grilling people boarding planes where they were going, why, what is their job, etc....told them i was going to prague to drink beer...they didn't like my truthful response and interrogated me for a while asking a lot of bs questions...then on the way back i was pulled aside because they thought i had anthrax in my backpack...i am like...dude...it is a crumbled up cookie and also sand from the beach
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:45 am And what can I say? As many times as I lament horrible FJ wagering, I would be remiss if I were to fail to congratulate all three for spot-on wagering in this game.
I probably would've bet it all if I were Doug (a small wager could've worked, but I'm not a fan of betting on the small end of Stratton's, even though it would've won him the game), and I would've at least thought about holding back the extra dollar in Amanda's shoes (but the tiebreaker sucks so I probably would've made the shutout bet anyway). But Rachel? Marvelous. I don't even bother calculating ideal wagers most nights, and while I spotted this one immediately, I didn't hold out much hope. A pleasant surprise.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:25 pm I'll be checking the box saying I knew the Latin phrase for a writer's or artist's greatest work.
I apologize for nothing.
WhatItSaysOnTheTin.jpg
WhatItSaysOnTheTin.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)