Fourth Podium Poll for 2/18/2019 (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these TS clues did you get right for Monday, Feb 18, 2019?

$400 SAVING THE ANIMALS: For the littlest ones, Best Friends Animal Society provides this type of care, defined as "for newborns."
63%
$600 SAVING THE ANIMALS: Be kind to animals week, celebrated in early May, was initiated in 1915 by the American this Organization (not the society)
41%
$1000 THE BILL OF RIGHTS: Think fast! Amendment 6 promises the accused both a public trial as well as one that is this adjective
84%
$600 LANGUAGES: Spoken in the country next door, it's basically Dutch with softer sounds
45%
$800 TEXTBOOKS: This anthology of English Lit is now in its 10th edition, supervised by Shakespeare scholar Stephen Greenblatt
24%
$1600 STILL I RISE: At the end of the Stravinsky ballet "Orpheus", this musical instrument rises from the hero's grave up to the heavens
50%
$2000 STILL I RISE: The American Helicopter Museum is a treasure house of these craft, another name for helicopters from their propeller-like part that turns to give them lift.
14%
$1600 ALL TELS: Tel al-Hawa is a neighborhood in this area on the Mediterranean controlled by Hamas
45%
$2000 ALL TELS: The refugee camp of Tel el-Zaatar was the scene of a 1976 massacre early in this Mideast country's civil war
31%
$1200 ANTEBELLUM: Riots in Havana in 1898 led to this doomed U.S. ship being sent there
91%
$1600 ANTEBELLUM: When Rome booted a Carthaginian garrison on Sicily in the 200s B.C., the first of these conflicts was soon afoot
74%
$1600 NAME THE VENUE: Frank Sinatra's Las Vegas Debut--this "Inn", 1951
26%
FJ BRITISH AUTHORS: Born in 1866, he has been called "The Shakespeare of Science Fiction"
75%
I would have finished this game with at least $13401
29%
I would have finished this game with between $8401 and $13400
28%
I would have finished this game with $8400 or less
20%

Total votes: 80

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 2/18/2019 (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spoiler
$400 SAVING THE ANIMALS: neo-natal
$600 SAVING THE ANIMALS: humane
$1000 THE BILL OF RIGHTS: speedy
$600 LANGUAGES: Flemish
$800 TEXTBOOKS: Norton
$1600 STILL I RISE: lyre
$2000 STILL I RISE: rotorcraft (Amanda guessed "choppers")
$1600 ALL TELS: Gaza (Strip) (Rachel guessed "the West Bank")
$2000 ALL TELS: Lebanon
$1200 ANTEBELLUM: the Maine
$1600 ANTEBELLUM: the Punic Wars (Doug guessed the Peloponnesian Wars)
$1600 NAME THE VENUE: The Desert Inn
FJ BRITISH AUTHORS: H. G. Wells
Could you have won this game from the fourth podium just picking up the trash? Add up the value of the clues you would have rung in on and gotten right. (Include the clues you would have gotten because you had extra time to think while someone rang in with an incorrect guess.) Subtract the values of any where you would have rung in and responded incorrectly. That's your hypothetical total going into FJ.

Now decide how you would have bet from the fourth podium against players with these pre-FJ totals:

Amanda Holm: 13400-5001=8399
Rachel Fabi: 8400-0=8400 (New Champ)
Doug Wilham: 9200-7601=1599

What's your final score? If it's more than $13400, you definitely would have won. If it's over $8400, I'd say you probably would have won. Amanda and Doug both made shutout bets. I don't see them betting less than that just because you're in the game. So Rachel's $8400 is the number to beat.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 2/18/2019 (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen:

(I'm using :?: for a clam. On a DD I would've gotten the Orpheus clue right with lyre. But I worried the correct response might be harp and didn't want the double whammy of losing the coin toss and handing the get to a savvy opponent. So I clammed on that one.)

pre-FJ total: $5600
Wager: $2801
Final score: $8401

I'd be tempted to bet it all since there's no way I'm winning on a miss unless Amanda over-wagered. But that's not impossible. So I'm giving up the extra $2799 on a win in order to preserve the unlikely possibility of winning on Amanda's over-wager. Realistically, of course, there's almost no chance of winning from my position. Once FJ is revealed, I downgrade that to "no chance at all". I mean, there's no way that ALL THREE other players are missing this clue so... what? YOU'RE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :?: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen:

:( for my neg. I said harp (and thought, "Or could it be lyre?").

That makes $7,200; since my calculations would have put Amanda at $8,399 on a neg, I would have assumed I was in "must get it right to win, so might as well bet it all and maximize the value of that win" territory.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen:

Amazingly, that puts me at 8400, just like Rachel, and I would've recognized the wagering scenario and bet 0 as well.

What a weird game...no rebound to Gaza after West Bank was negged. No one remembered the Maine. Rome vs Carthage, but Punic Wars a TS. And of course FJ. I got a bit of pushback a few weeks ago for being surprised that a relatively easy FJ was a triple get; FJs like this are the reason why.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen: :?: :mrgreen: :(

Possibly had $4800. or $2800 if I don't clam on the whirlybird response. Out of laziness would shoot the moon minus $50.
Net $50
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Would not have rung in on "humane society" or "Norton's Anthology" (went down the path of "organization for prevention of cruelty to animals????" and knew it was wrong, so would have clammed), but answered the rest correctly. Would have had $13,600 from the misses going into FJ, and would have bet to cover Amanda doubling. Got H.G. Wells, so it would have been a nice payday. Darn.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

$4600 for me that I would have doubled to $9200.

Negged on Norton with First Folio.
Had rotor and did not know what to do with it

Got the amendment, instrument, ship, & war
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Speedy, Maine, and Punic Wars, and losing a coin flip and saying harp instead of lyre. $2200, so I couldn't catch up.

Neonatal is a word I need to learn, and I should have gotten Flemish.
Last edited by Plactus on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I did not know Humane Society, rotorcraft, and Desert Inn but would not have rung in on any of them. (For Desert Inn I did not even have a guess.) For neonatal I dumbly said (and would have rung in with) prenatal. That gives me $10,000 at the end of DJ. With Doug so close behind me, I think I have to bet enough to beat an all-in bet by him. (On the assumption that Amanda will bet enough to beat me by 1 if we both get it and Doug and I will both pass her if we get it right and she gets it wrong.) So I win with a cool $18,401.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I own a Norton Anthology of American Lit and should have realized they also publish one for Brit Lit, but didn't connect the dots.

I guess I'm one of the few people that knew "rotorcraft," but then again I work in the aviation industry.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

:mrgreen: :( :?: :mrgreen: :?: :?: :?: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would have negged with Audobon on the $600 Animals clue, which puts my total at $8400 exactly. From there, I would have either bet nothing, or made a stupid wager of $5000 when $5001 covered first place.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I did a fair bit of clamming on stuff I might have gotten right (rotorcraft, etc.) but was too timid to pull the trigger.

With LT on neonatal, speedy (trial), lyre, USS Maine, and Punic Wars, I ended DJ with $5800 in LT. From the imaginary 4th podium I would certainly have bet enough to cover all three scores assuming they bet sensibly and missed (i.e. same strategy as Rachel). I would have had minimum $8,401 and an imaginary win. Why is it not my turn to become a contestant when there is a game like this?

And I know some consider it impolite to point out some clues that ANY J!-prepared contestant should be able to pounce on, but how in blazes is the USS Maine blowing up in Havana harbor a for-goodness-sake TS?!

Somebody should have gotten at least four of these clues and none of these clues (IMHO) sounded like a TS to me.