Tuesday, February 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Euphonium

Re: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Euphonium »

Was there a typo on the board?

"Orcus" always makes me think of Orcus-town in Nethack

I'm loving Matt's facial expressions

I half thought Rachel was going to say "Who are the Mc...Jaggers?"

Glenda: also the mascot for Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I actually think Matt said "Is it the Labour and Tories?"

Heh, this promo for All-Stars is so over the top it has to be intentional

Coryat: $42,200

J: 24R3P2W. Got DD. 5/5 on My God. 4/5 on Eating, What's Happening, Oscars, and Stores. 3/4 on Bucket List.

DJ: 26R3P1W. 2/2 on DDs. 5/5 on McPeople, Paris, and Crossword. 4/5 on Twosday and Literature. 3/5 on Clown.

FJ: Easy enough once I ran through the rhyme. Now, where is that blasted plain?

LT: Lhasa, Salinas Valley, Negro American League (there was no "Negro Leagues" as such, but a series of different leagues, sometimes operating simultaneously, though I believe the NAL was the only remaining one by the 1950s), gypsum, Priam,
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:07 pm Any reason I should know those films at $200 are Italian?
8 1/2 = Fellini
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:51 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:47 pm When the writers hang a slow curve like the FJ over the plate, even I and TPH can hit it.

Disappointed that Lhasa was a TS

Surprised myself by going 4/5 in Oscars, missing only Plummer.
i missed plummer too....i said that old canadian dude with christopher as his first name...couldnt come up with the surname
Better than me, I blurted out Sidney Poitier.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,200
48 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lhasa, McCoys (DD), Salinas Valley, Negro Leagues, gypsum

A '50s musical was named after a Fergie song? Weird.

I was thrown off by the phrasing of the Cat On A Hot Tin Roof clue. I thought they were looking for the male character who spoke the line, rather than the male playwright who penned it. Turns out the line was spoken by Margaret anyway.

Anyone else think of Faith No More after the Pennywise clue?
BKavett wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:39 pm I think Matt was robbed of a win. I heard his answer as “t’s Labour & Tory?” not “it’s” but saying the word “what’s” too fast so it comes out “t’s”

That one clue cost him the win.
I agree. I fully expected a reversal. I went back and listened many times, and it seems that Matt did the same clipping of the beginning of the sentence that many contestants do. Not sure why they chose to punish poor enunciation in this one instance.
Sprinkles are for winners.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

BKavett wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:39 pm I think Matt was robbed of a win. I heard his answer as “t’s Labour & Tory?” not “it’s” but saying the word “what’s” too fast so it comes out “t’s”

Considering how well he enunciated phrasing on every other clue, I think that your interpretation is an incredibly and incorrectly charitable one.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 am I went back and listened many times
Also: Alex said tonight in his interview with Michael McKean he has an earpiece with only the contestants speaking. If phrasing is missing, Alex is going to spot it.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 am Coryat: 38,200
48 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Lhasa, McCoys (DD), Salinas Valley, Negro Leagues, gypsum

A '50s musical was named after a Fergie song? Weird.

I was thrown off by the phrasing of the Cat On A Hot Tin Roof clue. I thought they were looking for the male character who spoke the line, rather than the male playwright who penned it. Turns out the line was spoken by Margaret anyway.

Anyone else think of Faith No More after the Pennywise clue?

I agree. I fully expected a reversal. I went back and listened many times, and it seems that Matt did the same clipping of the beginning of the sentence that many contestants do. Not sure why they chose to punish poor enunciation in this one instance.
same for me...got me to thinking back to the beverly hills 90210 episode when brenda played maggie in that play
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:47 am

Considering how well he enunciated phrasing on every other clue, I think that your interpretation is an incredibly and incorrectly charitable one.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 am I went back and listened many times
Also: Alex said tonight in his interview with Michael McKean he has an earpiece with only the contestants speaking. If phrasing is missing, Alex is going to spot it.
why did lenny interview trebek?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 am I was thrown off by the phrasing of the Cat On A Hot Tin Roof clue. I thought they were looking for the male character who spoke the line
Same here.

On another subject, Matt looked like he was about to do one of those evil villain laughs upon his FJ guess reveal. :lol:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Where's mbclev to insist that Matt's failure to phrase didn't cost him the game, because he lost by more than $1,600?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:25 am Glenda: also the mascot for Plan 9 from Bell Labs
The witch is Glinda, not Glenda.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:20 pm I could have had a viral reddit or twitter meme if I'd been on the show. My response for the highest capital - lhasa apso. :lol: spoken like a true cat person.
I did the same thing. And I think I've done it at least once before. The words just go together. They sound like some exotic Asian capital.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Here's Matt's response for anyone who wants to have another listen:

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 am Here's Matt's response for anyone who wants to have another listen:
I only hear "The, uh, Labor and Tory". In real time, I was sure that that was why he was negged.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:43 am

Because what we hear and what's heard in the studio aren't always exactly similar.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:20 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:04 am Here's Matt's response for anyone who wants to have another listen:
I only hear "The, uh, Labor and Tory". In real time, I was sure that that was why he was negged.
And his immediate reaction is, "Yeah, I messed up."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I hear "it's the, uh, Labour and Tory," but admit it could be open to interpretation. I do think the fact that Matt seems to realize he messed up is a strong indicator that he botched the phrasing.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Anyone else read the FJ clue, come up with the tune "London Bridge is falling down," and then start mentally humming/singing it to recall the last line?

Yeah, for sure. OK, I use memory devices when needed.

But I still thought this was a very nice FJ clue: not a softball, and not a Liederkranz.

Nice solid win by the new champ. LT: Lhasa, Negro Leagues, Priam.

Now we see what kind of strange permutation of J! TPTB have come up with for the next two weeks.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'll confess that the triple stumper on Negro Leagues had me yelling at the TV.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:45 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:20 pm I could have had a viral reddit or twitter meme if I'd been on the show. My response for the highest capital - lhasa apso. :lol: spoken like a true cat person.
I did the same thing. And I think I've done it at least once before. The words just go together. They sound like some exotic Asian capital.
If memory serves, Rachel Lindgren made the same mistake in one of her games, did a head slap, yet no one came in for the rebound ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm still sad / mad about the "sad" clown clue for $2,000
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:59 am
I hear "it's the, uh, Labour and Tory," but admit it could be open to interpretation. I do think the fact that Matt seems to realize he messed up is a strong indicator that he botched the phrasing.
I wouldn't make too much of that. He might just be trying to be a good guy and play along because there's no point in raising an objection, at least not at that point. It seems like there's an edit before Alex explains the ruling. I'm betting they stopped tape while Alex double-checked with the judges and Matt was given the heads up on what Alex is about to say. So I'd guess the ruling Alex made is final and Matt knows this. His only choice is whether to scowl at the camera or make the best of it. Being a good sport is not an admission of guilt.

That said, as awful as I feel for Matt, I think the ruling was correct. If I try, I can hear the response as an attempt at a question. But I don't really buy it. I wish Alex had waited a little longer to say no, the way he sometimes does. That can jolt a contestant into repeating with proper phrasing. But I don't think Alex did anything wrong. I just feel bad for Matt.