Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by econgator »

Euphonium wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:24 am Except the second team isn't on offense if the first team scores a touchdown.
Exactly. So, there is no imbalance.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 am 2) But still, "(a coin toss decides who gets to go first)". To mitigate this advantage (however small it is), I think the losing team ought to get one more play than the winner. Like a tennis tiebreaker, sort of. You gotta hold them twice. If they get 5 plays to your 4 and lose, the coin toss is equalized. It also would take the sting out of losing by inches on the 49 yard line.
Either that or make the decision non-arbitrary. The team that was most recently ahead gets to go first. That way, if you play to tie rather than to win, you're putting your team at a disadvantage in overtime. That seems fair. In the Chiefs' case that might actually have goaded them into trying for a TD at the end rather than kicking the field goal to tie it. They would have known that kicking the field goal meant giving Tom Brady one free try to advance the ball down the field like your defense doesn't even blip into existence until after the pass is complete. Since they had just seen him do exactly that a couple of minutes prior, they might have chosen to avoid repeating the scenario.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:25 pm
Euphonium wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:24 am Except the second team isn't on offense if the first team scores a touchdown.
Yes, there is.

Team that wins the coin toss: only has to do their job (score a touchdown) on one side and they win.

Team that loses the coin toss: has to do their job on both sides (get a stop, then score) to win.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Euphonium wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:32 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:25 pm
Yes, there is.

Team that wins the coin toss: only has to do their job (score a touchdown) on one side and they win.

Team that loses the coin toss: has to do their job on both sides (get a stop, then score) to win.
I'm with Euphonium on this one. It's as if A and B play a game in which the first player to flip heads wins and A gets to go first. You can't say that they have the same probability of winning because B has a 50-50 chance of getting heads *after* he has already survived A flipping tails. If my geometric series aren't failing me, A has a 2/3 probability of winning that game to B's 1/3.

The football situation isn't exactly the same, but I think the idea is similar: balance is not restored because the first team wins by scoring on their nth possession and their defense surviving (n-1) possessions, while the second team wins by scoring on their nth possession and their defense surviving n possessions which is harder.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:14 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:09 am 2) But still, "(a coin toss decides who gets to go first)". To mitigate this advantage (however small it is), I think the losing team ought to get one more play than the winner. Like a tennis tiebreaker, sort of. You gotta hold them twice. If they get 5 plays to your 4 and lose, the coin toss is equalized. It also would take the sting out of losing by inches on the 49 yard line.
Either that or make the decision non-arbitrary. The team that was most recently ahead gets to go first. That way, if you play to tie rather than to win, you're putting your team at a disadvantage in overtime. That seems fair. In the Chiefs' case that might actually have goaded them into trying for a TD at the end rather than kicking the field goal to tie it. They would have known that kicking the field goal meant giving Tom Brady one free try to advance the ball down the field like your defense doesn't even blip into existence until after the pass is complete. Since they had just seen him do exactly that a couple of minutes prior, they might have chosen to avoid repeating the scenario.
You well know the Chiefs in particular will always maximize their chance to blow it. :roll:

This is indeed a better way than a coin flip to award the advantage, but I'd rather see no advantage at all - the two teams did finish in a tie in 60 minutes and as in golf, they don't ask how, they ask "how many?"

I do like the idea that the loser has one extra down, equivalent to "win by two" in tennis or pickup basketball. Or at least make the winning team gain 1 yard so it isn't a referee spot that decides the game. Ah, dang it, just don't keep score and give everybody a participation medal :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

UK Chase record. Solo player wins &70,000.

Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not J! worthy enough for the current events thread: NFL referee Red Cashion died at age 87 and he is fondly remembered for yelling, "First down!" in games.

The NFL must have clips on tight lock down as I could not find one. This is the best I could round up:

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:04 am
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:52 am
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:24 am
Euphonium wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:54 pm (side note: got to take a 757 out of Santa Ana once; between the overpowered engines and the noise abatement procedures, it's the coolest thing ever)
How so?
If he's referring to John Wayne, I'd guess it would be due to the shortness of the runways there. A 757 would have to take off much quicker than it normally would (usually needs about 1.25 miles and the runway is barely 1 mile long), so the plane would have to be underweight and hoofing it.
Not only that, but a couple thousand feet up, they have to throttle back because people don't want to -hear- the airport. So pilots have to go full out, coast, then go full out again. (It's more nuanced than that, but I'm not too motivated to find detailed steps)

Moving on...
Moved here 'cause it's not a current event.

Yes, taking off from SNA heading south can be a bit of a roller coaster ride. (Disclaimer: I haven't taken off to the north which happens under Santa Ana wind conditions. The change in traffic patterns is a weather forecast of sorts since it happens hours ahead of the actual wind shift.)

This goes back three decades or so when the airport expanded. It had been a relative backwater without even jetways or a terminal of much substance. The folks living south of the airport, basically Newport Beach, got upset about potential noise problems. This group being well-connected politically (and monied) eventually got the FAA to put in "noise abatement" procedures and limitations on airport operational hours.

The details vary depending on the aircraft model and engines but you takeoff at full throttle and at a steeper angle than most are used to, but when you get close to the homes of those NBers with sensitive ears, the throttle is pulled back until you're over the ocean, when more normal procedures are applied.

The FAA later stated they'd never agree to such terms again.
OCSam
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:05 pm Image
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:02 am Image
Quite interesting that there are so many movies and TV that squeeze Jeopardy! into a small TV screen in the background for a short moment.

I don't recall seeing a movie with Jeopardy! playing in the background, although in Scrooged and Back to the Future Part II, there is a brief clip of an old Wheel of Fortune episode on TV in the background.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If someone needs a TD image question this one has choices:

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Academy Awards In Memoriam snubs:

R. Lee Ermey
Carol Channing
Verne Troyer
John Mahoney
Stanley Donen
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:45 pm Academy Awards In Memoriam snubs:

R. Lee Ermey
Carol Channing
Verne Troyer
John Mahoney
Stanley Donen
It's not really fair to put Stanley Donen on that list since he died 3 days before the ceremony. I thought the president of the Academy might work him into his remarks, considering his significance in the industry.
There's a larger group of photos at the Academy website. Everyone on the list is there except Donen and John Mahoney. John Mahoney died in early February last year. It's a ridiculous criterion, but he didn't make the cutoff, since the last Awards...I guess that means Donen will be snubbed next year, as inconceivable as that is...
https://oscar.go.com/photos/2019/oscars ... 019-photos
They'd probably be smarter only to include those who died in the previous calendar year. The Academy hasn't shown a lot of smarts in recent years. At least they've eliminated the waves of applause that let us know who was really important and popular.
davey

Post by davey »

In fact, John Mahoney was on the In Memoriam list last year...

https://www.oscars.org/about/memoriam
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:17 am In fact, John Mahoney was on the In Memoriam list last year...

He may be on their list at their web site, but he didn't show up in the In Memoriam segment they showed at the ceremony.

davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:10 pm
davey wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:17 am In fact, John Mahoney was on the In Memoriam list last year...

He may be on their list at their web site, but he didn't show up in the In Memoriam segment they showed at the ceremony.

There are over 200 names on the extended list this year. Carol Channing should have made it to the montage because she was nominated for an Oscar (for Thoroughly Modern Millie), but the others - except for Donen - are judgment calls.
davey

Post by davey »

Correction - this list is people who died in 2018 - not from last year's Oscars. It's a supplement apparently to the picture page, which includes deaths from 2019.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TIL cancer treatments and crematoriums don't always mix...

https://gizmodo.com/body-of-a-cancer-pa ... 1832899073
The case study documents a 69-year-old man with an uncommon tumor in his pancreas who received a radioactive treatment intravenously, called lutetium-177 dotatate.
... the equipment set off the Geiger counter used to measure the radiation, with a maximum exposure rate of 7.5 mR per hour when the counter was touching the equipment.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Freaking tickets going digital, and my phone no longer supports the MLB Ballpark or Stubhub apps.
I'm going to have to go to the ticket window in SF all three days I'm there.

Let me pay an extra $5 or $10 and get something -tangible- you jerks!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thought some of you might get a kick out of this. This is one of my favorite MAD articles: "11 Ways Jeopardy! contestants can really piss off Alex Trebek".

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Funny, but that must be pretty old.