Tuesday, January 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

Bob Harris in both Lost in Translation and Jeopardy!.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I can think of a movie example - George Banks (the [eponymous] character in Father of the Bride and also the father in Mary Poppins)
Michael Moriarty played Harry Potter in Troll.
Probably literally hundreds of these, though.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Paucle wrote:NM would've done better but Heisenberg has reduced the population too drastically (either through exodus fear, or killings)!
Or just having a face-off.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Turd Ferguson wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:Why not just make it easier to keep track of things by dividing "flyover country" into three or four states (that would still have small populations)? :)
Does not approve.
Is it just the term you object to, or the suggestion? Though I obviously suggested it tongue-in-cheek, why couldn't, say, ND, SD, WY and MT have all been one state? It'd still have less than 3 million people, thus being much smaller in both area and population than Ontario or Quebec.
I know you were going tongue-in-cheek, and so was I. I was just trying to shoehorn in a reference.

(And to think I break out the barf bag when Family Guy does the same thing.)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Paucle wrote:NM would've done better but Heisenberg has reduced the population too drastically (either through exodus fear, or killings)!
Or just having a face-off.
more like half a face off!
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I had Texas-Louisiana for FJ!

Never heard of Norman, New Mexico.

Over there, they associate "Norman" with Sue Thompson more than Oklahoma.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

Doug527 wrote: Trust me, it seems there a few people here with bees in their bonnets about not saying a first name. (There was a serious of comments in a thread a few weeks back) I want to repeat that the contestant coordinators do advise contestants to use only last names if its unambiguous to speed up play.
OTOH, something I realized today: often, when a last name only is given, Alex fills in the first name, therefore completely negating the time saved! Hmmm.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Started out with Ga/Fla, then moved to Cal/AZ. didn't consider the fact California was too big to grow by that high a percentage. Did not know AZ and Nevada bordered anyway.

For me the Oklahoma clue was "Blah blah blah college in Norman blah blah blah, never even noticed Santa Fe. Good thing I'm a college football fan.

Never knew Schwarzkopf was storming in Grenada. Had to do some fast thinking on the Harold/Liz clue. I was ready to go for Victoria, but then they wanted to know her son's name. Wasn't Edward VII a big discussion here recently?

Bad wagering all around, but the one who got a fairly tough FJ won.
DHodge

Re: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DHodge »

Wasn't sure if there is a central request repository for these kinds of things, but would anyone happen to have a digital copy of this episode? I don't have a recording on hand, can probably chase it down from a couple of acquiantances but thought I'd seek the internet's help first. thanks!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DHodge wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:47 am Wasn't sure if there is a central request repository for these kinds of things, but would anyone happen to have a digital copy of this episode? I don't have a recording on hand, can probably chase it down from a couple of acquiantances but thought I'd seek the internet's help first. thanks!
This guy uploads J! every day to Google Drive: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm
DHodge wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:47 am Wasn't sure if there is a central request repository for these kinds of things, but would anyone happen to have a digital copy of this episode? I don't have a recording on hand, can probably chase it down from a couple of acquiantances but thought I'd seek the internet's help first. thanks!
This guy uploads J! every day to Google Drive: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr
Doesn't go back nearly that far, though.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

So, while not outright banned by the rules of the forum, requests such as this generally don't bear fruit.

Those who do upload games are more focused on uploading the older games, generally the ones not in J! Archive.

Those who don't generally upload games but may have the games in their collections are loath to do so, because if word got out, they would be inundated by requests like this one, and that's not a burden that they wish to bear (nor is it a burden that they should be expected to bear).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:45 pm
So, while not outright banned by the rules of the forum, requests such as this generally don't bear fruit.

Those who do upload games are more focused on uploading the older games, generally the ones not in J! Archive.

Those who don't generally upload games but may have the games in their collections are loath to do so, because if word got out, they would be inundated by requests like this one, and that's not a burden that they wish to bear (nor is it a burden that they should be expected to bear).
All this may be true but note that this is one of the players in the game. I think anyone who has the game available and a way to upload would be glad to help out a contestant. Doing so by private message would send no signals or advertisements that it is open season on this uploader for requests.
DHodge

Post by DHodge »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:48 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:45 pm

All this may be true but note that this is one of the players in the game. I think anyone who has the game available and a way to upload would be glad to help out a contestant. Doing so by private message would send no signals or advertisements that it is open season on this uploader for requests.
I'm certainly not expecting anyone to help, just letting anyone know that it would be much appreciated :)

will keep an eye on private messages if anyone has leads. thanks!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Euphonium wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm
Doesn't go back nearly that far, though.
My bad. I failed to realize this was a 2012 thread that got bumped.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

These requests are rare, and we are talking about someone looking for a copy of their own appearance. That being said, Daniel, I hope someone is able to help you out.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I missed that part because I'm an idiot.

My apologies.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I've got that one. I'll work on getting it uploaded and send you a link.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:02 pm I've got that one. I'll work on getting it uploaded and send you a link.
You da man ... er, penguin!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This means it’s open season on the penguin right?