Wednesday, February 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:12 am Elevated clue difficulty? Outside of that Triple Rhyme Time category I thought it was a mundane game. I’m rooting for Brad & Larissa the most. I just wish they had some other people from the past up there instead of some of the folks up there.
I've seen many J! rounds this season that were harder for me. The best thing about it was how relaxed, poised, and speedy the players were. A pleasure to watch...cool to see a J! episode with a different rhythm. It's still only a half an hour out of my life, after all.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:11 am Actual game didn't start until 13 minutes into the episode. Thank you DVR fast forward.
Yep! Was done with the episode in 9 minutes.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Getting to see and hear all these great players again partially made up for only getting through a single round, but I have to say it was still a little disappointing overall. I'm sure things will get more exciting as the tournament progresses.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I loved Brad's bit about using email and worrying about it getting hacked. I'm sure all the Sony producers were cringing at that one.

Those of you who fast forwarded through the interviews missed some fun.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:11 am Actual game didn't start until 13 minutes into the episode. Thank you DVR fast forward.
totally agree...sad day when i actually fast forwarded an episode of common knowledge less than i did this episode of jeopardy
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:52 pm
JayK33 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:44 pm So does the "two-day affair" for each match mean one game split into two days? I thought it was going to be two full games like Tournament finals.
Thursday with DJ! and FJ! will complete one game. Friday will be a full game of J!, DJ! and FJ! to make it a second game. At that point the total from game 1 will be combined with the total from game 2 to have a winner of the 2-game match. That 2-game match will have needed 3 days worth of airing to complete.

The pattern will repeat on Monday - Wednesday.

At that point the winner of Match 1 & Match 2 will be waiting to see the third team in the finals. Of the four teams that do not win the 2-game match the three high-scoring teams will be be in a 2-day (and 2-game) wildcard match to determine the third finalist. The low-scoring of the four non-winning teams are out and done after their only match.

Clear as mud?
Actually, very clear.

Wagering for the 2nd day's FJ will be the most complicated we've ever seen in practice. In a regular game, winning is everything (since the players presumably don't care that much about the difference between $2,000 and a $1,000). In the QF of a normal tournament, advancing is everything although there might be some vague SF seeding difference based on winning and being a WC).

In this format, winning is by far the biggest priority but WC considerations need to be taken into account. Winning is worth three times as much as a WC because a WC has a 1/3 chance of getting to the finals which the winner has already qualified for. So, I think that if can, you make the shutout bet from the lead as you would do in a normal two-game final. But if you're in 2nd or 3rd place, you should wager for the win if that can happen with a reasonable likelihood. But if that can't be done, try to maximize your chance of beating at least one other team and/or leaving a chunk of money to hopefully be ahead of 3rd place in the other opening round match.

it's obvious, but note that coming in 2nd in your match guarantees you a WC, while coming in 3rd gives roughly a 50% chance at the WC with your total either increasing or decreasing those chances. Unlike the WC situation in a normal tournament QF, there's no historical data to use to provide even a rough estimate of what a reasonable total to shoot for would be.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not a fan of just one round in this episode, but they needed to explain the format and to introduce the teams and show how they were selected. Interesting two of the captains put themselves in the first round.

I've gotten behind in watching this season and am almost to the end of 2018 but decided to go back to live watching for this tournament.

I like bringing back old players from time to time, but I'm just not a big fan of this concept.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:49 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:12 am This tournament is going to be a lot of fun.
I've been kind of "meh" about the whole thing, mainly because I can't see the general audience even noticing the format change or remembering the contestants well. My intuition is always wrong, so it's probably a raging ratings success. Some viewers may lose interest due to the elevated clue difficulty, but hopefully they will just be impressed. They buzz sawed up the geography category and I probably would have missed all but Belgium in FJ time. Well, buzz sat and watched AJ do the lifting anyway.

It's quite watchable, and I don't miss 30 clues that much. It beats the handful you get on every other quiz show. I don't think I'll get invested with rooting interests. Maybe I'll be surprised. What, one miss and one TS? This ain't bean bag.
Similar feelings here, though I think they may be making a little more ad revenue than usual -- haven't timed the commercials so I don't know what the total amount of commercial time is, but there are a couple of extra commercial breaks involved.

On the whole, I'm OK with trying something different once in a while. If they want to do this again in another 35 years, I'm OK with it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:30 pm
On the whole, I'm OK with trying something different once in a while. If they want to do this again in another 35 years, I'm OK with it.
LOL.

It's so novel and weird - I love every minute of it!
kettledrum
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kettledrum »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:11 pm what a waste of en episode...too much jibber jabbering...did they really need to go to a break, come back and interview and then go to another break? about as bad as an american football game...pure dull crap without much action
TiVo skip mode is your friend :-)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

kettledrum wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:02 am
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:11 pm what a waste of en episode...too much jibber jabbering...did they really need to go to a break, come back and interview and then go to another break? about as bad as an american football game...pure dull crap without much action
TiVo skip mode is your friend :-)
is what i do...always skipping through the interviews even during regular episodes...my complaint in terms of a waste of episode was that i got like 8 minutes of actual trivia