Friday, February 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 pm Is Brad Rutter still the #1 player of all time? This is a thing that is now up for debate, though I think we all want to see the rest of the tournament before the debate begins.
Though much is taken, much abides.
Leander

Post by Leander »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:01 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:45 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:30 pm Can't say I recall ever hearing of Emma Goldman.
Me either. I went with Anthony, though it really didn't make much sense but she was the only female activist of that era I could name.
The FJ in this game

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2234

got me thinking "anarchist" which led me to guess Goldman.
I had a vague recollection of a famous woman anarchist, but couldn’t pull her name. Kept thinking of Rosa Luxemburg, but knew it didn’t sound right. Probably would have gone with Anthony.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

jev15 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:16 pm It's a tough FJ because Goldman isn't as famous as the major suffragettes, but anyone who has read E.L. Doctorow's Ragtime should have gotten it pretty quickly. At least, that's what worked for me.
A YA book I read as a teen, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/626 ... Silken_Tie, got it for me. (The teacher in the story was an anarchist or something, and hypnotized one character who quoted something about Emma Goldman. Because of this, Goldman became sort of a archetypal figure of anarchism for me from this.) The book is by Mildred Ames, who also wrote Anna to the Infinite Power. I don't think either of those books became YA classics, because I haven't seen anything about either since the 80s.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I think it will be interesting to see, if Team Buzzy makes the Finals, if Team Brad changes up their lineup trying to get Brad away from Alex. Could Brad still be dominant on the buzzer against everyone else in the field? If they swap Brad up to DJ day 1 and J day 2, does Buzzy make the same move with Alex to pre-emptively counter? Obiouvsly the 3rd team that could contain Ken or Roger or ??? could be a factor in the strategy.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Thought of Anthony, went with Marcus Garvey who was a bit late. Emma Goldman was in the deep dark recesses of my memory, but there was no way I was dredging her up.

Brad seemed off, and despite his performance, so did Alex.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the DD strategy. I really thought he was going big on those.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

I guess David saw "Lord" and went to Jack Lord and couldn't move past that?

"Robbing Peter to pay Paul" seems overvalued at $1200, particularly in this tournament

At first I thought Alex was grimacing because he bet low on an easy clue (Scandinavian, northern exploration, turn of 20th century = instaget Amundsen), and frankly I'm surprised he struggled with it.

Would just "aurora" have been accepted (the clue and category did specify Arctic, but I think there are reasonable arguments that that necessitates specifying which and that that implies "borealis" so it's not necessary to specify) as is or gotten a BMS?

Coryat: $40,800

J: 25R4P1W. Got DD. 5/5 on 1920s and Anagrams. 4/5 on TV, State Facts, and Museums. 3/5 on Food.

DJ: 23R7P. Got both DDs. 5/5 on Physiology and Mouthful. 4/5 on Dancing. 3/5 on In Memoriam, Poetry, and Arctic.

FJ: Instaget. Immigration and immigrants to North America from the Russian Empire is my wheelhouse.

LT: allergy/gallery, Babylon V, Two Guys and a Girl, One Life to Live, dust, rhomboids, Murmansk
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Another pop-culture source for Emma Goldman consciousness is the interminably long Reds.

The interviews make it worth it, though.
Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:45 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:30 pm Can't say I recall ever hearing of Emma Goldman.
Me either. I went with Anthony, though it really didn't make much sense but she was the only female activist of that era I could name.
Just remember: a revolution without dancing is not a revolution worth having.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:57 pm Thought of Anthony, went with Marcus Garvey who was a bit late. Emma Goldman was in the deep dark recesses of my memory, but there was no way I was dredging her up.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the DD strategy. I really thought he was going big on those.
[cough] category
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 36,400
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: allergy/gallery, Babylon 5, Two Guys and a Girl, One Life To Live, Roald Amundsen (DD), rhomboids

Emma Goldman? That's a NHO from me, Dawg.

Brad made some kind of deal with the devil. Even when he has his worst day ever behind the podium lectern thing you stand behind on J!, he can't help but win.

Am I the only one who mixed up Kate Spade and Donna Karan?

I didn't like the apparent lack of a prompt to Alex on DD2. Trebek normally gives an "Alex?" before timing a player out.
Last edited by BigDaddyMatty on Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:06 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:57 pm Thought of Anthony, went with Marcus Garvey who was a bit late. Emma Goldman was in the deep dark recesses of my memory, but there was no way I was dredging her up.

[cough] category
Not buying it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Said legerdemain for prestidigitation. :(
FJ found a hole in my history knowledge. Coulda given me all day & I wouldn't get Emma Goldman.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:27 pm

[cough] category
Not buying it.
I'm with you, Andy. I think it was more of a "I don't need to bet big, so I'm not going to." I'd guess if Pam had significantly more than a lock amount, he would have bet a bit more.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:40 pm

[cough] category
Not buying it.
I'm with you, Andy. I think it was more of a "I don't need to bet big, so I'm not going to." I'd guess if Pam had significantly more than a lock amount, he would have bet a bit more.
I read "[cough] category" as a reaction to Marcus Garvey for the FJ.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Euphonium wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:42 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:40 pm

[cough] category
Not buying it.
I read "[cough] category" as a reaction to Marcus Garvey for the FJ.
Oh, Jeez. I'm going to go bury my head somewhere.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wow. I almost felt sorry for Brad. But of course his trademark... skill holds out and he advances anyway.

I got three of the five TS clues in the SJ round. Did not get FJ. Said Elizabeth Cady Stanton, which I maintain is a superior incorrect response to Susan B. Anthony. No way the response is going to be the first suffragist you think of, not in a tournament like this.

At the end, Alex said Team Colby and Team Buzzy will have to wait to find out if their scores will be enough to qualify them for the wildcard match. Either Alex doesn't understand the rules or I don't. Isn't it true that three of the four non-winning teams will compete in the wildcard match? If so, Team Buzzy knows the only thing they need to: they're not the lowest scoring non-winners. They're coming back. It's like the old joke about I don't need to outrun the lion, I just need to outrun YOU.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:03 pm At the end, Alex said Team Colby and Team Buzzy will have to wait to find out if their scores will be enough to qualify them for the wildcard match. Either Alex doesn't understand the rules or I don't. Isn't it true that three of the four non-winning teams will compete in the wildcard match? If so, Team Buzzy knows the only thing they need to: they're not the lowest scoring non-winners. They're coming back. It's like the old joke about I don't need to outrun the lion, I just need to outrun YOU.
Alex doesn't. Buzzy's team is guaranteed a spot.
davey

Post by davey »

I don't care so much who wins this tournament, I just like the gameplay. The J! round seemed much harder than in the first game, but I loved the more challenging material in DJ...My own low point of the game - responding Gary Indiana when I could have left it at last name ... :oops: (Gary Indiana is a person, too...a critic and novelist, still living.)
My first thought for FJ was Victoria Woodhull (who was alive but largely retired in 1901), but I realized from stuff mentioned already like Doctorow and Reds, incitement was a tip-off for Goldman.
Also, in the Sondheim musical Assassins, Emma Goldman has a scene with Leon Czolgosz...
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:49 am Captain Brad got his tail handed to him. His team is lucky game 1 went so well for them.

David Madden had a doozy of a miss though no big penalty at just $200
TV BY THE NUMBERS $200: Agnes Nixon created this soap opera that focused on the Buchanan & Lord families

Hawaii Five-0 was a howler. He must have spotted Lord and ignored everything else.

The FJ! clue was a miss for me as my three-side coin did not have the right name in the mix. In the BotD I went Stanton when it was Anthony, so I tried again with Stanton. Nope, still wrong. The third name I considered was Carry Nation.

Nice double solve by Colby and Larissa. Buzzy's wager gave his team a chance to move to the finals and he had the nice cushion to attempt it with the wildcard spot at worst locked.

At the end of the game the Fantasy scores were shown as:
Spoiler
Alex: 24
Larissa: 24
David: 18
Brad: 17
Colby: 16
Alan: 12
Buzzy: 10
Jennifer: 8
Pam: 7
perhaps he did that on purpose...was tied with team buzzy and team buzzy would have been allowed to go 1st to start the 2nd round...by missing the small value question he assured his team of getting 1st crack at the board in double jeopardy allowing for daily double hunting
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

marcus garvey was a woman?
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:49 am Captain Brad got his tail handed to him. His team is lucky game 1 went so well for them.

David Madden had a doozy of a miss though no big penalty at just $200
TV BY THE NUMBERS $200: Agnes Nixon created this soap opera that focused on the Buchanan & Lord families

Hawaii Five-0 was a howler. He must have spotted Lord and ignored everything else.

The FJ! clue was a miss for me as my three-side coin did not have the right name in the mix. In the BotD I went Stanton when it was Anthony, so I tried again with Stanton. Nope, still wrong. The third name I considered was Carry Nation.

Nice double solve by Colby and Larissa. Buzzy's wager gave his team a chance to move to the finals and he had the nice cushion to attempt it with the wildcard spot at worst locked.

At the end of the game the Fantasy scores were shown as:
Spoiler
Alex: 24
Larissa: 24
David: 18
Brad: 17
Colby: 16
Alan: 12
Buzzy: 10
Jennifer: 8
Pam: 7
perhaps he did that on purpose...was tied with team buzzy and team buzzy would have been allowed to go 1st to start the 2nd round...by missing the small value question he assured his team of getting 1st crack at the board in double jeopardy allowing for daily double hunting
I think this was the reason. There's much more value in going first in a tournament like this.

Now I really want to see Alex vs Larissa.