Friday, February 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 22, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:50 am
chmmr wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:48 am
Hot take: Larissa is better than Brad, but Larissa is unlucky while Brad has the Devil's Own luck.
Might I direct you to Kendall's Law, as so contained in the signature of user dhkendall? ;)
I'm sure David means it to be humorous but Kendall's Law has always rubbed me very much the wrong way. It seems like it could be taken as a slap in the face to those like Roger Craig or Alex Jacob, just to name two who notably worked insanely hard to get to the point where they could dominate this game, to imply that the game is all luck.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:56 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm LOL, just LOL at Hawaii Five-O being a soap opera created by Agnes Nixon.

How is Scandinavian Arctic Explorer from 1906 not Pavlovian for Amundsen?
A gimme. How many else can you name?
I didn't think it would be so easy in these games, and I went for Fridtjof Nansen instead (but diplomacy was more his thing than exploration by 1906).
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:32 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:57 pm Thought of Anthony, went with Marcus Garvey who was a bit late. Emma Goldman was in the deep dark recesses of my memory, but there was no way I was dredging her up.

Brad seemed off, and despite his performance, so did Alex.

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the DD strategy. I really thought he was going big on those.
marcus garvey was a woman?
Asked and answered.

thanx for pointing that out, dude...i don't go through threads to see if answered before posting
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:59 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:13 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:37 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 pm LOL, just LOL at Hawaii Five-O being a soap opera created by Agnes Nixon.

How is Scandinavian Arctic Explorer from 1906 not Pavlovian for Amundsen?
A gimme. How many else can you name?
How about Vitus Bering? Obviously earlier, but I could definitely see Bering as a knee-jerk guess.
Bering was a Dane.
pretty sure denmark is considered scandinavian
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

If this fruit hung any lower he'd need new jeans.
I'm smart and I want respect.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Emma Goldman was a near instaget because I saw Assassins last year. My husband took a little longer but figured it out from Ragtime - the assasination connection doesn't come up there, but her activism as an anarchist is a plot point and The Night Goldman Spoke at Union Square is a song.

Even before seeing Assassins (and seeing Ragtime three times over the years), I heard of Goldman in high school history, and I've seen her referenced in fiction, nonfiction books, and articles since then.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:37 pm
pretty sure denmark is considered scandinavian
Well played
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:09 pm I'm sure David means it to be humorous but Kendall's Law has always rubbed me very much the wrong way. It seems like it could be taken as a slap in the face to those like Roger Craig or Alex Jacob, just to name two who notable worked insanely hard to ge to the point where they could dominate this game, to imply that the game is all luck.
Agreed. All games must have an element of luck to be interesting, but if there's too much luck the game sucks. I think J! toes this line pretty well and that's probably why many of us enjoy it.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:12 pm It also seems unlikely that Dave (?) did this spreadsheet of calculations and wanted to go first in DJ and blurted out Hawaii-5-0. Occam's razor is our friend.
I'm living in the universe with not only spreadsheets but calculation for the best possible response to paralyze your opponents with laughter so they couldn't get the rebound. What a legend.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was just reading the Wikipedia entry for Susan B. Anthony and came across this tidbit:
When she first began campaigning for women's rights, Anthony was harshly ridiculed and accused of trying to destroy the institution of marriage. Public perception of her changed radically during her lifetime, however. Her 80th birthday was celebrated in the White House at the invitation of President William McKinley.
So I guess she wasn't great guess for this FJ...unless that birthday party didn't go so well. :D

But seriously, I didn't realize the efforts of the early suffragettes like Anthony happened so long before women actually got the right to vote in this country in 1920.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 pm I was just reading the Wikipedia entry for Susan B. Anthony and came across this tidbit:
When she first began campaigning for women's rights, Anthony was harshly ridiculed and accused of trying to destroy the institution of marriage. Public perception of her changed radically during her lifetime, however. Her 80th birthday was celebrated in the White House at the invitation of President William McKinley.
So I guess she wasn't great guess for this FJ...unless that birthday party didn't go so well. :D

But seriously, I didn't realize the efforts of the early suffragettes like Anthony happened so long before women actually got the right to vote in this country in 1920.
Another around that time with prior clue history is Alice Paul:

#7713, aired 2018-03-07 SUFFRAGETTE CITY $600: In 1913 Alice Paul arranged for a demonstration of over 5,000 women before this man's inauguration in D.C.
#5953, aired 2010-06-30 THE FASTING & THE FURIOUS $1000: In 1917 Alice Paul, arrested while agitating for this constitutional amendment, was force fed to end her hunger strike
#1299, aired 1990-04-05 HERSTORY $200: Alice Paul picketed the White House from 1917-19 until this amendment was passed

She also was a character in an April 2018 episode of Timeless.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:00 pm Yep. When contestants answer DDs promptly, my wife or I yell "Do the Alex Jacob check!" Stop and think for a second. Reread the clue to make sure you're really responding to "this". You may suddenly realize you're about to blurt out the wrong response.
Boy do I wish I'd done that lo those many years ago.

You want to talk luck? What about Ken's first game? There was a good chance we would have never heard of him.

Susan B. Anthony (OK, if I'd read the category I'd have changed my answer to her) ... Frederick Douglass had been at odds with her and the women's suffrage movement for years over whose vote should be a priority. He attended a suffragette meeting with Susan B. Anthony and finally patched things up with her. He went home and was excitedly telling his wife about the meeting ... and collapsed and died.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:01 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:42 pm I said sleight-of-hand but I don't think I would have actually buzzed in.
Good thing! "Sleight-of-hand" was in the clue already.

SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE CALLED SLEIGHT-OF-HAND ARTIST RICKY JAY "A LEADING SCHOLAR OF" THIS "AND ILLUSION"
Well, that would make my response suboptimal, then!

I actually logged in to say: I wonder if some draft of the "TV by the Numbers" category had "one" in the top box, "two", etc. down to "Babylon 5" (instaget for me, made me a little sad that it was a stand-and-stare). The final version of the category was close, but with "21 Jump Street" in there and no "four".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:37 am You want to talk luck? What about Ken's first game? There was a good chance we would have never heard of him.
Luck for J!, too. If not for Ken, I suspect that most of these big tournies never would have happened.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:54 am
alietr wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:37 am You want to talk luck? What about Ken's first game? There was a good chance we would have never heard of him.
Luck for J!, too. If not for Ken, I suspect that most of these big tournies never would have happened.
No Ken means no UTOC. No UTOC means Brad is just another good player.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:58 am
econgator wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:54 am
No Ken means no UTOC. No UTOC means Brad is just another good player.
So it all comes around to another way Brad got lucky. I like it! :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:38 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:01 am
Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:42 pm I said sleight-of-hand but I don't think I would have actually buzzed in.
Good thing! "Sleight-of-hand" was in the clue already.

SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE CALLED SLEIGHT-OF-HAND ARTIST RICKY JAY "A LEADING SCHOLAR OF" THIS "AND ILLUSION"
Well, that would make my response suboptimal, then!
Rereading the clue I see that I mis-parsed it as well. I reduced it in my mind to SLEIGHT-OF-HAND AND THIS. I rejected legerdemain because it means "sleight-of-hand" which had already been stipulated and they were looking for a companion word that meant something different. In fact, I see now, the clue reduces to THIS AND ILLUSION and gives you a helpful TOM that THIS might indeed mean the same thing as SLEIGHT-OF-HAND.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I knew Buzzy was doomed during the wagering huddle when he said, "If - when I get FJ right..."

NHO Emma Goldman! I saw Assassins at City Center but we were in the nosebleed seats and I didn't really hear anything that was happening onstage
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

morbeedo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:15 pm
NHO Emma Goldman! I saw Assassins at City Center but we were in the nosebleed seats and I didn't really hear anything that was happening onstage
Next time, ask for one of the assisted listening devices. They help a lot, and they're free!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

alietr wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:18 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:15 pm
Next time, ask for one of the assisted listening devices. They help a lot, and they're free!
What did you say?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:44 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:09 pm I'm sure David means it to be humorous but Kendall's Law has always rubbed me very much the wrong way. It seems like it could be taken as a slap in the face to those like Roger Craig or Alex Jacob, just to name two who notable worked insanely hard to ge to the point where they could dominate this game, to imply that the game is all luck.
Agreed. All games must have an element of luck to be interesting, but if there's too much luck the game sucks. I think J! toes this line pretty well and that's probably why many of us enjoy it.
The luck comment reminded me of a contestant who designed board games or something like that a while back. I think he said they bake in 15% (or was it up to 30%?) luck so that the most skilled player doesn't always win. It made me want to know more about that (not sure if that's psychology or game theory), but I haven't seen any more on it.

As to the successful players, I doubt if they are butt hurt about that comment. I see DHK's sig as a nod to Ben Hogan or Yogi Berra.

“Ben Hogan said, ‘Golf is a game of luck, the more I practice, the luckier I get.’ The harder you work, the luckier you are. I was 33 years old before I ever went to Washington and New York, 42 before I won my first campaign. (complete quote provided because I didn't realize Ben was a late bloomer)

Yogi: Baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical".
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.