FJs for the 2/18/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/18/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:50 pm

Born in 1866, he has been called "the Shakespeare of science fiction"
75%
The title of this musical that opened in 1956 came from the last line of a nursery rhyme about a structure that spanned the Thames
94%
The 7-letter names of these western- & easternmost mainland countries begin with the same letter
55%
In 1901 this activist was jailed for inspiring the assassination of William McKinley, but the charge was later dropped
23%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all four above.
14%
:( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
VOCABULARY $800: This Latin phrase means a writer's or an artist's greatest work
75%
IN PERPETUITY $1000: In myth Selene couldn't bear this handsome guy ever dying, so she had him sleep forever; Keats wrote a poem about it
10%
PHYSICS $2000: Physicist James gave his name to this law saying heat from electricity is proportional to the square of the current
8%
I had Senegal though not Somalia for the Thursday FJ! clue.
1%
I had Somalia though not Senegal for the Thursday FJ! clue.
15%
I failed on the Thursday FJ! clue by working with Morocco and/or Eritrea.
14%
Susan B. Anthony was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
33%
Sanger or Stanton was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
8%
I cannot recall coming across the name Emma Goldman prior to the Friday FJ! round.
46%
I was 2/2 on the regular play FJ! clues and 0/2 on the All-Stars FJ! clues this week.
19%

Total votes: 106

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 2/18/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH AUTHORS

2/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Born in 1866, he has been called "the Shakespeare of science fiction"

2/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

2/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title of this musical that opened in 1956 came from the last line of a nursery rhyme about a structure that spanned the Thames

2/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICAN GEOGRAPHY

2/21 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 7-letter names of these western- & easternmost mainland countries begin with the same letter

2/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN IN U.S. HISTORY

2/22 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1901 this activist was jailed for inspiring the assassination of William McKinley, but the charge was later dropped

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
H.G. Wells
My Fair Lady
Senegal & Somalia
Emma Goldman
The players were 5/12 (41.67%) with a 0-2-1-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have one correct by the players, one rebounded correctly and a semi-requested triple stumper.

VOCABULARY $800: This Latin phrase means a writer's or an artist's greatest work

IN PERPETUITY $1000: In myth Selene couldn't bear this handsome guy ever dying, so she had him sleep forever; Keats wrote a poem about it

PHYSICS $2000: Physicist James gave his name to this law saying heat from electricity is proportional to the square of the current

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
magnum opus
Endymion
Joule's
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 2/18/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :(

2/2 then 0/2
Negged with Ozymandias for Endymion
No clue and no guess for Joule's
Morocco
Stanton
Emma Goldman rang a very faint bell for me.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:50 pm Negged with Ozymandias for Endymion
Did you get the Ozymandias clue the next day? ;)
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Fri - Anthony was what I wrote down, but I was trying to come up with Stanton.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:53 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:50 pm Negged with Ozymandias for Endymion
Did you get the Ozymandias clue the next day? ;)
Nope. It was a once bitten, twice shy, bawk bawk clam.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
I negged on the poem with Adonais, thinking that was another name for Adonis. Turns out it's not... :oops: I know even less about Endymion...
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Anthony; Goldman's name was unfamiliar.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Had H. G. Wells and My Fair Lady while the clues were still being read. Got Somalia first as the obvious country that sticks out farthest east. Senegal came pretty quickly after that even though I wasn't sure exactly where it was. But it met the 7-letter criterion, Sierra Leone didn't, and I couldn't think of another S country in the area. Emma Goldman doesn't sound UNfamiliar, but there's definitely no way I was coming up with that name. Stanton was the best I could do since Anthony seemed too easy for an All-Star tournament.

Give the bird some champagne for knowing magnum opus. I didn't specifically know the story of Endymion, but I knew Keats had a poem by that title that involved some Greek myth, so I decided from the couch that I would buzz in on that one. I guessed Ohm's Law for lack of anything better. I knew the stated equation relied on Ohm's Law, which is V = IR. If we combine that with another standard electrical equation P = IV, we can substitute IR for V and end up with P = I²R, the equation given in the clue. I didn't recall ever seeing that referred to as Joule's Law, so I hoped it might be part of Ohm's. Outside a DD or FJ, I don't think I'd have rung in though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :mrgreen: :( :(

I had nothing. Emma Goldman was unfamiliar.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:02 pm I guessed Ohm's Law for lack of anything better. I knew the stated equation relied on Ohm's Law, which is V = IR. If we combine that with another standard electrical equation P = IV, we can substitute IR for V and end up with P = I²R, the equation given in the clue. I didn't recall ever seeing that referred to as Joule's Law, so I hoped it might be part of Ohm's. Outside a DD or FJ, I don't think I'd have rung in though.
:cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:
:mrgreen: :cry: :roll:

Thanks Mark for the poll question although it will knock a lot of people out of the perfecto. I'd just like to know how the heck anybody knew this relationship had a label. It's like the commutative law of multiplication - we just use it but nobody calls it by name in the process.

Thanks, Penguin for the EE lesson. It helps to realize that the unit of power is watts, so, easy to get to Kilowatts from your 110 volt multiplier times your amps. Just remember that 750 watts is 1 horsepower and 1 kilowatt costs about $0.15 for each hour and you can cipher the cost of your toaster, toothbrush, or lights.

Since I didn't know that the I²R law had a name, I decided to check out the derivative law for power that you cited P = IV. TIL that the power = current times volts law has a name: Watt's Law - as in James Watt as in yet another mis-direction for the TOM in this clue.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"A structure that spanned the Thames". I knew there was a clue there. It's an intuition one develops.

I sort of knew both halves of the African geography question, but I really, really knew Somalia. I was tempted to report this earlier in the LL thread as a bit of predemption for missing it there, but as I realized it might be spoilery, I decided I'd suck it up and live in the ignominy a few hours more.

I sort of have to know some New York city history on my job, and Emma does figure there, so that helped on Friday. Carrie Nation was the first name that sprang to mind, but I realized she made little sense.

I could perhaps should have had Endymion. 'Tis strange, the mind, that miry particle. I've never had much truck with joules, jewels or Jules.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :o
I may have heard the name before, but it didn't stick. No way I was getting It

Guessed Adonis for Endymion, clammed on Joule. Joule was certainly gettable.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :( :(

Have heard of Goldman, but her name was buried too deep to pull it, went with Anthony.
Also went with Adonis for Endymion.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I can't remember the last time I got 50%.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

Searching in vain for anybody else who might have come up with Mother Jones instead of Emma Goldman (who inspired an "oh, crap" as soon as she was revealed, but never would have crossed my mind.) Ah, well...
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Got Somalia, didn't make the transcontinental trek to Senegal in time. Might have gotten Goldman if I'd been thinking Czolgosz; for some reason Guiteau popped into my head so I wasn't thinking anarchy. Like several others have posted, "Ragtime" is on the list of favorite musicals, so Goldman is refreshed every time a touring company comes through performing it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

345353435433554555445132*
*out of 4
Last edited by Carpe Diem on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:24 am I can't remember the last time I got 50%.
The last time it would have even been possible was Watson week, wasn't it? Have there been any other one-game-over-two-day events?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I got My Fair Lady. Easy one for me.