Monday, February 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7936, 2019-02-25

2019 All-Star Games match 2, game 1, Jeopardy! Round only.

CONTESTANTS
Ben Ingram, an IT consultant from Lake Wylie, South Carolina
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York
Ken Jennings, a writer from Seattle, Washington

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome again to the Jeopardy! All-Star Games. Match number 1 is now in the books. Today we begin match number 2. But you know, last week was such a busy one that I didn't get a chance to talk to you about one very important aspect regarding this tournament. And that is the cash prizes that we are awarding. Thanks to financial assistance from Consumer Cellular, we are able to present a check for $100,000 to the third-place finishing team. A check for $300,00 for the second-place finishers, and of course, $1,000,000 to the champions. A lot of money.

[Applause]

Alex: But if you were playing close attention on that first day of this competition, you probably came away with the same thought that I had. And that is that the players are not here primarily because of the money. They're here for the glory.

[Laughter]

Alex: And now would you please join me in welcoming the three captains who will lead their teams into match number 2 today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE STORE WAS CLOSED! (5/5)
GREAT NICKNAMES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ANIMAL TALK (5/5)
CLASSIC MOVIES (5/5)
RANKS & TITLES (5/5)
BOOK OF THE CENTURY (5/5) (Alex: The correct response will be naming the century.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ben: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Ken: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Austin: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ken found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Ken had $4,000, Austin was in the red with -$600, and Ben was at $800. Ken made it a True Daily Double, wagering $4,000.

GREAT NICKNAMES $1000: In his heyday this author was "The Great Unknown", having published his "Waverley" novels anonymously

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ken: $8,600
Ben: $2,600
Austin: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm so glad you stayed with us. The man playing for Team Julia right now is the gentleman who defeated her in the Tournament of Champions. So let's show all of you that highlight moment.

[A clip is shown from the last game of the 2014 Tournament of Champions, #6945.]

Alex: What did you do with the $250,000?

Ben: Oh, my gosh. It has been a godsend. I managed to buy a dartboard.

[Laughter]

Alex: Huh?

Ben: And a couple of kayaks, and a house. And I'm actually helping my girlfriend back through nursing school to get another nursing degree, and she's doing very well.

Alex: Good for you. But there's something else that you did that my wife did also. And it involves traveling to see a very special celestial event.

Ben: A number of Jeopardy! players and myself went down to South Carolina, which is where I'm from, to watch the total eclipse of the sun last summer. And Julia Collins happened to be there. And this was long before we ever knew we'd be playing on the same team, so it's especially special to be playing alongside her.

Alex: Okay. Thank you for that.

Alex: Now we come to Austin Rogers. And every time we show a clip of yours, Austin, you're doing all these fantastic gestures.

[As Alex talks, a supercut of Austin's pantomime during contestant introductions is shown.]

When did that start? How old were you? Were you the class clown, for instance?

Austin: Well, my parents are in the audience, so they can probably attest to in the womb, I was gesticulating wildly. No, I don't know. I don't really remember most of my childhood because my parents are in the audience, and they can tell how much they repressed me.

[Laughter]

Alex: Do you want to point them out to us right now?

Austin: Yeah, there they are over there.

Alex: Waving at the back.

[Austin's parents are shown waving.]

Austin: They're the old hippies.

Alex: The old hippies.

Austin: Yeah.

Alex: All right.

Alex: As we move to Ken Jennings, you have just finished a book, I understand? What's that about?

Ken: Yeah. My new book, Planet Funny, is about the history of comedy and what it's done to our society that we love to laugh so much. I've always been a huge fan of comedy, which I think might surprise Jeopardy! viewers, since as we all know, only you are allowed to be funny on Jeopardy!, Alex.

[Laughter]

Alex: Right.

[Laughter]

Alex: In your view, having studied comedy, which country has the best comedians?

Ken: The funny thing is, every country thinks they're the funniest. Like, even though in America we would think, "Oh, the Germans, they have no sense of humor; they're very strict", when I talk to my German friends, they're like, "No, no. We have great comedians. Maybe you just don't get the translation." Every country thinks they're hilarious. That's what I learned.

Alex: Okay. We're gonna have the second half of the Jeopardy! Round when we return right after this.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ken: $9,800
Ben: $5,600
Austin: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 25, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

(Just in case it's needed)
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

Daily Doubles
Ken: 4000+4000

Coryats
Team Ken (Ken – champ’s spot): 6800
Team Austin (Austin – middle spot): 2800
Team Julia (Ben): 5600

Combined: 15,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Team Ken: 9800
Team Austin: 2800
Team Julia: 5600

Fantasy Points:
Ken: 13
Austin: 6
Ben: 11
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken got a good laugh in working Buzzy into his funny guy hanging off the clock response. Ken’s chat segment with Alex demonstrated how he was able to do it 75 games in a row and make it look easy with skill, comfort and rapport each time.

Ken seemed to get a too happy with his big lead and had a couple of negs. Austin also had two negs. Ben played clean and picked up two of the rebounds in a round with no TS clues.

Today went what I would call, “according to Hoyle” as far as the results go although the second segment was fairly equal with clues right at 6 for Ben, 5 for Austin and 4 for Ken.

For the the BMS or not to BMS game just Perry accepted with Alex providing the first name.

Alex told the captains that Brad’s team won the first match. No numbers were given for the non-winners. Still, I’m not sure that the captains should be given any information about the previous match.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

At the team huddle for deciding rounds I did not get a clear picture for how Team Julia or Team Austin will work the assignments. Team Ken seemed more clear. Matt will play DJ! and Monica will play FJ! to close game 1. Game 2 will have Monica leading off, Ken in the "pilot's seat" as he called it playing DJ! and Matt will do the FJ! round.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Nice domination by Ken, but those negs on the high clues have to hurt. He would have been far out ahead without those.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:10 am Ken got a good laugh in working Buzzy into his funny guy hanging off the clock response.
We made the Harold Lloyd comparison in Buzzy's original run. So I was initially disappointed when that picture showed up in a non-Buzzy game. But Ken came through and supplied the joke (despite his claim that only Alex is allowed to be funny). Still, I wonder what might have happened if Buzzy had been there to ring in on that clue. I have a feeling he would have cashed in on the resemblance too.

In any case, Ken is a true pro at work, confident enough to clown around while still mopping the floor with the competition. I might have thought his joke, but I wouldn't have risked saying it. What if it comes out wrong and they think "What is Buzzy?" is my response. But Ken handled it perfectly and had the presence of mind to say "What is... it's not Buzzy" and then segue into the correct response.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Excited to see Ben Ingram again. Probably my all-time favorite contestant.

Not shocked Ken Jennings went for movies first. Have you ever seen his "ten favorite films from each year" website?

Good pickup by Austin for Canterbury Tales. 12th century is obviously too old, Ken eliminated the alternative reasonable choice and Austin closed the gap by $2000 in the process.
Last edited by Euphonium on Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Unsure how many of you actually have rooting interests here, but I'm on #TeamKen.

If I'm Ken, I might have considered lining up a little differently given Matt's spotty history with Final (50% lifetime), but I have no problems with what they actually decided.. Ken certainly set the tone early. Ben played quite well today also.

Looks like we're getting Matt v. Roger v. Seth tomorrow, per the show's website. Hopefully they aren't trolling.. words cannot express how happy this makes me!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

floridagator wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:00 pm Nice domination by Ken, but those negs on the high clues have to hurt. He would have been far out ahead without those.
Hitting the DD helped of course, but his hot start put him in position to take advantage of the DD and forced Austin and Ben to play catch-up and feel like they had to take a shot on clues they might otherwise have passed on. Austin seemed especially hurt by this.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:20 am At the team huddle for deciding rounds I did not get a clear picture for how Team Julia or Team Austin will work the assignments. Team Ken seemed more clear. Matt will play DJ! and Monica will play FJ! to close game 1. Game 2 will have Monica leading off, Ken in the "pilot's seat" as he called it playing DJ! and Matt will do the FJ! round.
It seems obvious that on Team Austin they'll have Roger play the DJ round. That leaves Leonard for FJ. So on Wednesday Leonard has the SJ round. (No way they're giving him DJ, right?) That leaves Austin to play DJ since Roger can't do it two games in a row. That leaves Roger on FJ in game 2. Is that a good move? I thought I remembered Austin being very strong on FJ and Roger being iffy.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:17 pmGood pickup by Austin for Canterbury Tales. 12th century is obviously too old, Ken eliminated the alternative reasonable choice and Austin closed the gap by $2000 in the process.
Chaucer did all trivia buffs a favor by dying in 1400. That makes it very easy to remember which century attaches to him.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

What the hell is Ken's secret?

I loved the "It's not Buzzy."

Yes, I ran the Store's Closed category.

Only 3/5 in Animal, though. NHO "snake" in the plumber's sense, and knew the expression was "____ to water" but couldn't pull the right animal in time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:58 pm What the hell is Ken's secret?
He reads, travels and pays attention. Throw in his TV/movie watching along with other nerdish hobbies and he's set on the material. For buzzer he's 44 and plenty of older players have done well with the signaling device. It's not about speed on the buzzer. It's timing. Ken has it.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

some insane gets by Ken. The absolute GOAT.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Thanks to Bill Wurtz's "history of japan" video for keeping Matthew Perry fresh in my mind. "Open... the country. Stop... having it be closed."
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I got 26 right missing Suspiria, His Girl Friday, Tower Records, and Sharper Image.
DD: 1/1
LT: N/A
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

chmmr wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 pm some insane gets by Ken. The absolute GOAT.
Agreed. He's still got it.

His new book sounds like it could be interesting.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:52 pm Chaucer did all trivia buffs a favor by dying in 1400. That makes it very easy to remember which century attaches to him.

Indeed. Would that Cervantes had been so considerate. Of course, his name might not have come up so much in that case.

Not Matthew Perry, but his father.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:14 am
chmmr wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:29 pm some insane gets by Ken. The absolute GOAT.
Agreed. He's still got it.

His new book sounds like it could be interesting.
The book got a mention last March as I thought it could show up on J!: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4492&p=276334#p276334

I never would have guessed the reason last year.