Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, May 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

^ But I was "if I'm wrong, may lightning strike me dead" certain on South America, too.
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

xxaaaxx wrote:FJ was instaget, insultingly easy, and...familiar. I might be confusing it with another clue, but I swear they've asked us this before.

Last season they asked:

Of the 7 continents, the 2 that todate, have never been the setting of a "Best Musical" Tony winner.

Incidentally, this FJ! will be obsolete come 2016, as Rio will host the Summer Games that year.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:FJ was instaget, insultingly easy, and...familiar. I might be confusing it with another clue, but I swear they've asked us this before.

Last season they asked:

Of the 7 continents, the 2 that todate, have never been the setting of a "Best Musical" Tony winner.

Incidentally, this FJ! will be obsolete come 2016, as Rio will host the Summer Games that year.
What was the answer to the "Tony" winner question?

This has got to be one of the insta-get's of all-time IMO. Elyse is really smart as I was shocked how she got that dinosaur one(plod something,please help if you can), and Foucault and Tritium. I was blanking on them but remember seeing these terms before.

Elyse is my pick for winning it although I am enamored with Catherine's politeness and lisp. :)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Any way I'd know those attractions would be in Phoenix and not Santa Fe? Both seemed to make equal sense to me.
Phoenix is in the desert. Santa Fe is in the mountains (over 7,000 feet).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/5 for me in TV as well only getting Switched At Birth. Santa Fe was one I went for over Phoenix for no good reason other than wanting the run in the category.

Whoever decided the boards were one for the finals was right as I had 17 fewer clues correct and 17,000 less on my Coryat. Ouch. No one was going to run away on night one entering FJ.

Even though the teens are young I still think the FJ clue was too easy for the finals. 2000 was Australia and the players were five-ish? They must have heard something about Sydney by their teen years. 2002 was Utah, so N. America was out probably by that alone or having to know at least once Canada and the U.S. hosted. 2004 was Athens to eliminate Europe. 2008 was Beijing and Asia was a lock to rule out. That leaves S. America and Africa. With 30 seconds it seems just about impossible to miss for finalists. For $1600 or a DD seems a better option by the writers.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This exact FJ was used as an FJ many years ago, may have been in a TOC. I could not find it via an archive search. I'll bet Rose and Catherine are kicking themselves for chickening out and betting small when seeing a sports FJ.

I got Switched at Birth from the description, even though I've never heard of it. The only other show I've heard of is Community, but I don't watch it.

A simple FJ, even if you don't follow sports.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Elyse Mancuso: $13,200+10,000=$23,200
Rose Schaefer: $9,400+$3,000=$12,400
Catherine Briley: $7,400+$2,600=$10,000
Crunching numbers here: entering FJ tomorrow, Elyse can enter FJ in third and still be in a position to win on a triple get. All she has to is be within $5,400 of Rose and within $6,600 of Catherine. For Rose to be able to win on a triple get, she needs to lead Elyse by more than $5,400 and be within $1,200 of Catherine. And Catherine must lead Elyse by more than $6,600 and Rose by more than $1,200 to have the highest potential total.

To achieve a lock tomorrow, Elyse must get within $10,800 of Rose's doubled score and within $13,200 of Catherine's. (For example, R: $10,000 C: $11,200 E: $9,400 is a slim lock for Elyse.) If Rose enters tomorrow's FJ with less than $5,400 and Catherine has less than $6,600, Elyse will have a superlock (a lock tournament that it is impossible to Clavin your way out of).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, I love how no one told them that Wheel puzzles are left-aligned, not center-aligned.
But they are sister shows, so I'm sure they had a lot of help from Wheel staff with that category.

Keep in mind, though, that they were Jeopardy! clues, not Wheel puzzles, as they appeared on Jeopardy!, and J! clues can be center-aligned.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

A similar FJ! from 1984: Of the 5 continents symbolized by Olympic rings,the only one never to hold the Games
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

Count me in for saying Santa Fe. I did 3/5 for wheel.

I never heard of any of the TV shows.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Not sure how but I skunked the Physics category...
Also, only 1/5 on TV (Portlandia) and haven't seen any of them. (Nor have i heard of the other four.)

And what's this? No comments yet how we failed to get two clues in J! despite no Biden or Oprah to blame?! I'm shocked, SHOCKED!! Normally we're all over that like ugly on ape!

FJ! was stupid easy. Given how the FJs have been, I'm surprised only one made a big wager on it...
Last edited by Volante on Fri May 11, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman wrote:The only other show I've heard of is Community, but I don't watch it.
I'm trying to recall if you've "outed" yourself as a L&O fan. If you are (and anyone so inclined),this was brilliant:
http://www.nbc.com/community/video/basi ... y/1398566/
It's an episode of Community written dead-on as if it were an L&O effort. Only thing it was missing was Belzer, to add to his character's record series appearances.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

seriously, you guys have GOT to stop replying to TPH's most idiotic comments. it's stupid and infuriating.
CyrusChan wrote:Elyse is really smart as I was shocked how she got that dinosaur one(plod something,please help if you can), and Foucault and Tritium. I was blanking on them but remember seeing these terms before.
yes, she is very sharp indeed. (the "plod"ding dinosaur was diplodocus.) i'd be stunned if she lost tomorrow.
lisa0012 wrote:A similar FJ! from 1984: Of the 5 continents symbolized by Olympic rings,the only one never to hold the Games
i guess i can imagine the olympic rings symbolizing continents, but man, australia gets in ahead of either africa or south america? that seems so wrong. (i actually don't know the answer to the clue; which one is it?)
Volante wrote:And what's this? No comments yet how we failed to get two clues in J! despite no Biden or Oprah to blame?! I'm shocked, SHOCKED!! Normally we're all over that like ugly on ape!
jeff was all over that like ugly on ape on page 1.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jpahk wrote:i guess i can imagine the olympic rings symbolizing continents, but man, australia gets in ahead of either africa or south america? that seems so wrong. (i actually don't know the answer to the clue; which one is it?)
I think Pierre De Coubertin, the guy who designed the logo, was considering N America, S America, Australia, Eurasia, and Africa as the 5 continents.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

econgator wrote:
jpahk wrote:i guess i can imagine the olympic rings symbolizing continents, but man, australia gets in ahead of either africa or south america? that seems so wrong. (i actually don't know the answer to the clue; which one is it?)
I think Pierre De Coubertin, the guy who designed the logo, was considering N America, S America, Australia, Eurasia, and Africa as the 5 continents.
if so, then the clue is wrong...?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
No, he was considering the Americas as one continent (the others, of course, being Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jpahk wrote:
Volante wrote:And what's this? No comments yet how we failed to get two clues in J! despite no Biden or Oprah to blame?! I'm shocked, SHOCKED!! Normally we're all over that like ugly on ape!
So does that make me the ugly, or the ape?

As to the Olympic rings question, I had a whole response typed up explaining how that was a faulty clue, since the Sydney games wouldn't occur for another 16 years later. Fortunately just before I was ready to submit I had the epiphany that Melbourne had previously hosted the Summer Olympics, in 1956 to be exact. That little fact had completely slipped my mind for some reason.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:
jpahk wrote:
So does that make me the ugly, or the ape?
Totally skimmed over that post... I think I should just call it a night at this point.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:^ But I was "if I'm wrong, may lightning strike me dead" certain on South America, too.
Wear sunscreen, those lightning burns are painful.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

This FJ! was asked late in season four. IIRC it was someone's game five, I want to say Roy Holliday's game five.