LL80: LearnedLeague

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL80: LearnedLeague

Post by morbeedo »

Wasn't getting New Zealand in a million years

Went with antennae, never considered feathers
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm glad I spent a little more time on the New Zealand question because I was ready to give up and just put down Belgium, which I just wasn't comfortable with. When I considered NZ I immediately knew that was correct.

I was also ready to put hair follicle down for Q5 until I thought about feathers. However, despite changing my initial answer to the correct answer on two different questions I still took my first loss 8(5)-9(6).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My answer of 'quill' for feather didn't get accepted, though I believe it should have. Wouldn't have remotely mattered since he drank the beer, so it's not worth pursuing.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:25 pm I'm a little surprised Atari had the low get rate. With the popularity of classic gaming, I thought all ages would know who Nolan Bushnell is.
just because a nerd likes their video games, doesn't mean the nerd knows who created a gaming system
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:47 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:08 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:52 am
Successful first week for me. I tied yesterday, so 2-1-0 for the week.
If you tied, you aren't 2-1-0.
You know how everyone except the U.S. writes dates out in the logical order of D-M-Y? I guess I do the same thing for LL records: W-T-L.
not true...in south korea it is written as...year/month/day
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

If you realize the word "cephalopod" refers to head and arms, and you remember what the octopus and squid's most prominent features are, that may help.

I dodged a bullet on New Zealand, almost guessing something stupid just because I read very recently that "Zealand" is in Denmark. Surprised as I was to learn, I really didn't think I misremembered, but neither Suriname, South Africa or any place else in Southern Africa or anything in the Caribbean or anything else in Oceania sounded promising at all. It turns out that though Zealand is in fact in Denmark, NZ is named for Zeeland in the Netherlands and they just chose to spell it differently.

I think I'd have guessed My So-called Life had it come into my head, but it didn't. Not my fault.
I'm smart and I want respect.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Not a good LL for me right now. Wrote "Life Goes On" instead of "My So Called Life", missing what should be gettable questions as well, but really just playing horrible, horrible defense. .000 DE after 2 days, now climbed back to .400.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I guess it's my turn for some bad luck. I sit in 24th place at the moment with 15 TCA (yesterday was awful) and a DE of .900. They guy in 3rd has the same TCA and DE of .765. I'm sure it'll even out over the course of the season, but nonetheless ...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 pm I guess it's my turn for some bad luck. I sit in 24th place at the moment with 15 TCA (yesterday was awful) and a DE of .900. They guy in 3rd has the same TCA and DE of .765. I'm sure it'll even out over the course of the season, but nonetheless ...
If not this season, then seasons. Or in the worst case, someone else will have good luck to make up for your bad luck.
I'm smart and I want respect.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:59 pm I guess it's my turn for some bad luck. I sit in 24th place at the moment with 15 TCA (yesterday was awful) and a DE of .900. They guy in 3rd has the same TCA and DE of .765. I'm sure it'll even out over the course of the season, but nonetheless ...
That sounds familiar... It is much more fun down here in B!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

On MD5, I racked up a Dolly Parton with a 9(5)-4(4) win; the one question I missed, the river question, my opponent surprisingly awarded me 0 points. This is only the third time in all of my LL seasons that I answered 5 questions correctly in one day. At 2-3 on the season, I am still just 2 points out of the relegation zone.

We have a rather large rundle...with 32 people! Usually, there's only 24 or at most, 25 people in a rundle but not this time.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

cmp146 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:49 pm
That sounds familiar... It is much more fun down here in B!
Well, the beat goes on. After advising a friend about being careful to avoid a 9(6)-9(5) tie for future matches, what do I do? Give up a 9(6)-9(5) tie. AAAAAUUUUUGGGGHHHHHH! Yeah, I thought yesterday was Kids Week.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

62 percent get rate with almost 10 percent drinking beer. That has to be up there in terms of easier days in LL history.

https://learnedleague.com/allrundles.php?80
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm stunned the Yalu River got only 29%. I guess they don't teach the Korean War anymore.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

SBurrus wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:54 am On MD5, I racked up a Dolly Parton with a 9(5)-4(4) win; the one question I missed, the river question, my opponent surprisingly awarded me 0 points.
That one was classified as a geography question, but it's probably as much a world history question as geography. The Yalu River figures prominently in the Korean War.

9(6)-9(6) tie for me yesterday. Of thirteen players on my tracking page ten of them got all six questions correct yesterday. I'd say that's a pretty easy day.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

StevenH wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:09 am Finally got my first win of the season, 4(2)-0(0). Movies and TV aren't my strong suit, but being a '90s kid I definitely knew My So-Called Life and even watched some episodes when it first appeared on Netflix. And Seven Year Itch didn't sound like a medical condition, but I had nothing better.

I never would have guessed a non-Dutch speaking country on the New Zealand clue.
Living in West Michigan was a bit of an advantage for that question. The community of Zeeland is adjacent to my home city of Holland. This entire area was settled by Dutch immigrants. My mom's family is 100% West Michigan Dutch.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I was unfamiliar with the river. By linguistics, I had placed it somewhere in eastern Asia, just not between the right two countries.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:35 am I'm stunned the Yalu River got only 29%. I guess they don't teach the Korean War anymore.
I only got it due to reading Coldest Winter recently....we never did get to Korean War (or Vietnam for that matter) when I was in middle/high school, although I can report that my 8th grade daughter is learning about it now. Only missed Scrivener in a 6(5)-5(4) win. I'm nearly the easiest person to defend this year apparently with only 1 ufpe on 17 correct answers...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

FJ July 25, 2018: BRIDGES
In 1990 the Yalu River Bridge was renamed the "Friendship Bridge" between these 2 nations; one is the other's best friend

missed it then, remembered the clue yesterday, but only got 50% of the answer right :cry:

J!6 Feb 26, 2019
Egyptian leader ousted in 2011: Mubarak!

I got that one right, but came up with the answer before playing J!6
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There was also a "name the two countries separated by the Yalu River" question on LL in 2014. Too bad for my opponent that he only joined last year; he would have had a 9(6) if he'd gotten it right. At least I gave him a zero for it and lost 8(5)-9(5). (I would have guessed "love" had I not assumed "Endless Love" was just a song title and not a film title. I gave the ridiculous answer of "coffee.")