Tuesday, February 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7937, 2019-02-26

2019 All-Star Games match 2, continuation of game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Ben Ingram, a business technology integration consultant from Lake Wylie, South Carolina
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York
Ken Jennings, a writer from Seattle, Washington

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us. I'm not going to begin today's program by telling you that this tournament is a rather complex affair. Let me just say it this way: welcome to the second round of the first half of match number 2.

[Laughter]

Alex: Yeah, I think I got that right. A little while ago, just before we came on the air, our teams gathered backstage to develop their strategy for today and to determine which players will come out and play the Double Jeopardy! Round. For Team Julia, Seth Wilson. Representing Team Austin, Roger Craig. And for Team Ken, Matt Jackson. Gentlemen, you were watching the Jeopardy! Round yesterday. Matt, you saw your team captain get off to a good start. He dazzled Austin Rogers with the speed on the signaling device. Seth, Team Julia, you guys came up with $5,600. Roger, Team Austin is at $2,800. Matt, you have a bit of an advantage, don't you, at $9,800? We'll see if it carries through in this round. We'll begin it right after this.

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Seth Wilson is the first player I talked about a few moments ago. Seth, you got married just before Draft Day last year. And since then, you have become a minister?

Seth: Yes. I got married in July, and I was ordained as a minister in the spring of the previous year, so I've also been performing some ceremonies. So if any Jeopardy! fans want to get married, I'm here for you. I'm here to help.

Alex: Okay. Some great highlights in your personal life.

Seth: Yeah.

Alex: As well as highlights on Jeopardy!

[A clip is shown from Seth's 12th game, #7372.]

Alex: All right, moving on now to Roger Craig, who still holds the record for the greatest amount of money won in a single day.

[A clip is shown from Roger's 2nd game, #5977.]

Alex: Since your wins on Jeopardy!, you've been working in machine learning. I know nothing about that. What are we talking about here?

Roger: That's just teaching computers to solve problems by looking at the data and finding patterns and not explicitly telling them how to solve the problem.

Alex: Good for you.

Roger: Thank you.

Alex: Now let's go to Matt Jackson. Let's take a look at what made you an All-Star.

[A supercut is shown of Matt's contestant introductions, where he indicated the number of games on his fingers, and his 13th game, #7147.]

Alex: Your captain talked about you preparing over 300 or 400,000 flash cards?

Matt: I think the exact number is 364,878.

[Laughter]

Alex: I like contestants who are very precise.

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANCIENT AGRICULTURE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
JUST THE FACTS (4/5)
LAKES & RIVERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LEADERS (4/5)
"INTER" (5/5)
LAUGHING (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ken: 14 R (including 2 rebounds and 2 DDs), 0 W
Ben: 5 R, 0 W
Austin: 8 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ken snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Ken had $19,000, Austin had $1,600, and Ben was at $10,400. Ken wagered $8,500.

LAKES & RIVERS $800: During monsoon season, this river in Cambodia reverses its flow, flooding the Tonle Sap River & Tonle Sap Lake

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Ken who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Ken had $29,100, Austin had $2,400, and Ben was at $10,400. Ken wagered $4,000.

ANCIENT AGRICULTURE $1200: The Romans made sure to plant legumes, which increase yield by returning this element to the soil

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LEADERS $1200: Comic songs & sounds were his forte as 1940 bandleader of the City Slickers

JUST THE FACTS $800: The 2 Asian apes are the orangutan & this arboreal one
(Roger: What is... lemur?)

ANCIENT AGRICULTURE $2000: Deuteronomy 8:8 promises a land not of milk & honey but of this salad dressing "and honey"
(Roger: What is vinegar?)
[A commercial break is taken after the 15th clue.]

Alex: The three players who get to deal with Final Jeopardy! are now on stage. The captain of Team Julia, Julia Collins, is with us. On yesterday's program, we talked about the impact you made on America when you won all your games. What's this experience been like as captain of your team?

Julia: It's been great. It's been really great. I have wonderful teammates. We get along really well. As I've mentioned, quite a few times, I think, you know, Seth lives near me, and we got to spend a lot of time together in Chicago the last couple months, and so we spent New Year's Day together eating some good luck New Year's food. Collard greens for money and black-eyed peas for luck, and so, you know we felt like we had not just good preparation and team--teamwork, but, you know, some good old-fashioned superstition on our side.

Alex: Yeah, so eat the right foods if you wanna be a Jeopardy! champion.

Julia: Exactly.

Alex: Okay. You--you accomplished that.

Alex: Leonard Cooper. You provided us, young man, with one of the funniest moments in Final Jeopardy! Let's take a look and show the folks.

[A clip is shown from the final game of the 2013 Teen Tournament, #6542.]

Alex: They do, indeed, and Leonard, that win made you the teen champion. Since then, you've traveled a fairly long distance. Tell us about it. You graduated high school.

Leonard: Mm-hm. Yeah, I graduated high school that same year and started my education at Brown University for my undergrad in Providence. And I'm still there as a grad student now. I finished my undergrad degree there in biology in 2017, and I'm finishing a master's this year.

Alex: With a view to pursuing what kind of a career, exactly?

Leonard: I've been applying for Ph.D. programs in clinical psychology, so--

Alex: So you're gonna continue as a student until you qualify for a Seniors Tournament, is that it?

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, good luck to you.

Leonard: Thank you.

Alex: All right. Monica Thieu. Over to you now. Let's take a look at one of the highlights that made you an All-Star.

[A clip is shown from the final game of the 2012 College Championship, #6312.]

Monica: I...

Alex: All those hand gestures.

Monica: Ah.

Alex: Were you kind of cloning Austin Rogers with that?

Monica: Well, I'll have you know that I was a few years before him, so maybe I planted the seed of the idea in his head.

Alex: I see. Now your experience on Jeopardy! kind of changed your life. Tell the folks.

Monica: It did. It turns out that after finishing my program at the University of North Texas, I was able to go to Stanford with the money that I won on the College Championship to finish the rest of my degree. And while I was there, the very first class that I took there ended up causin me to change my career from pre-med to psychology. So, parents, don't let your kids go on Jeopardy! if you want them to be doctors, I guess.

[Laughter and applause]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Ken: $37,500 (lock game)
Ben: $11,200
Austin: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN ARTISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Ken: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $15,099 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Ben: Wager $2,401 to cover Austin.
Austin: You have the hope of surpassing Ben for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $2,000 and $6,798.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His seldom-used last name reflects his birth near the mouth of a river that flows from the Alps to the North Sea

FINAL SCORES
Austin: $6,800 + $1,200 = $8,000 (Who is Rembrandt)
Ben: $11,200 - $11,200 = $0 (Who is Michaelangelo?)
Ken: $37,500 + $2,503 = $40,003 (Who is Rembrandt?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ken: $24,000, 27 R (including 3 DDs), 2 W
Ben: $11,200, 16 R, 0 W
Austin: $6,800, 14 R, 6 W
Combined Coryat: $42,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Ken: 28/61 = .459
Ben: 16/58 = .276
Austin: 15/58 = .259
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CLASSIC MOVIES $800: Here's this silent film comedy star in "Safety Last!"
(Ken: Who is--it's not Buzzy. Who is [*]?)
[Laughter]
(Alex: You would have been correct in--with both of them.)

GREAT NICKNAMES $600: This golfer is "The Great White Shark" & his website is shark.com
(Alex: Austin and Ben, are your signaling devices working? I'm a little concerned.)
(Austin: Yes, unfortunately. They are.)

BOOK OF THE CENTURY $600: "The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling", not a Welsh singer
(Austin: What is the 17th century?)

BOOK OF THE CENTURY $400: Saddle up for "Don Quixote"
(Austin: What is the 16th?)

BOOK OF THE CENTURY $800: Johannes Gutenberg didn't write it, but his Bible...huge
(Austin: What is [*]?)
(Alex: You got it.)
(Austin: Yay!)

BOOK OF THE CENTURY $1000: "The Canterbury Tales" start to get told
(Ken: What is the 13th?)

ANIMAL TALK $800: Maybe you're a canvasback if you start a new activity & "take to it like" this
(Ken: What's fish to water?)

JUST THE FACTS $1200: To
the
nearest
thousand,
the height
in feet
of Mount Everest
(Roger: What is 28,000 feet?)

ANCIENT AGRICULTURE $1600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows an irrigation model on the diagram.) To irrigate farmland, the Persian empire built qanats, tunnels that tap into this underground source, from the Latin for "water-bearing"

LAKES & RIVERS $1200: Boundary Lake is shared by North Dakota & this Canadian province
(Roger: What is Saskatchewan?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sir Walter Scott
the Mekong
nitrogen
Spike Jones
the gibbon
olive oil
Rembrandt van Rijn
Harold Lloyd
Greg Norman
the 18th century (or the 1700s)
the 17th (or the 1600s)
the 15th
the 14th
duck to water
aquifer
Manitoba
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

Just-in-case Round!
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN ARTISTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His seldom-used last name reflects his birth near the mouth of a river that flows from the Alps to the North Sea

Team Ken (Monica): 37500+2503=40003
Team Austin (Leonard): 6800+1200=8000
Team Julia (Julia): 11200-11200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Rembrandt (van Rijn) (Julia – Michaelangelo)

Daily Doubles
Ken: 4000+4000 (yesterday)
Team Ken (Matt): 19000+8500
Team Ken (Matt): 29100+4000

Coryats
Team Ken: 24000
Team Austin: 6800
Team Julia: 11200

Combined: 42,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round (yesterday)
Ken: 9800
Austin: 2800
Team Julia (Ben): 5600

Fantasy Scores:
Matt: 14
Ken: 13
Ben: 11
Monica: 10
Leonard: 10
Roger: 8
Austin: 6
Seth: 5
Julia: 0
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Matt was very consistent with 7 right in each segment including the DDs for +12500 Matt was Matt from the get-go with his 364,878 exact count for his flashcards.

Roger had rough scorecard with 8R and 4W and Seth hung in there with 5R.

There is the cliche statement that J! players know 90% of the clues. Today it turned out to be correct with the gentlemen getting 27/30 in the DJ! round with three TS clues. Apes and oil...whatever. The leader of the City Slickers? Nice fogey trash for the home viewers. Of course Alex had to use his, "too young" remark.

For the chat leading up to the FJ! round Ben asked Julia for her comfort level with the category. Julia said, "This is a good category for me." Ouch!

Julia's miss is understandable for a famous artist often called with one name and there will be others with that miss on the board. I wrote it on my paper as a Pavlov for a guy whose last name is not seen often. Alps to Italy made sense to me. Fortunately, I kept thinking and played the game of checking on other artists who I knew could fit.

It was an easy change when I thought of the correct guy. Nice work by Monica & Leonard to do what they could to help their teams even with not much risk on the board.

Big lead for Team Ken while the wildcard slot(s) are easily within reach. The problem for the trailing teams is they have no idea that it's just 21800 they need. Team Colby had to like the way today went to still give them a chance to move on.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

First blush answer was the same as Julia, but I realized that a) "Buonarotti" has no obvious connection to a river, and b) the river was flowing in the exact wrong direction for an Italian. There aren't a ton of well-known painters referred to by their first names, and after a few seconds of thinking about German (or German-adjacent) painters, Rembrandt van Rijn popped right in there.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

They missed a chance at a Rango reference: "What's an aquifer?" "It's fer aqua."

Loved the comment on trolling them with math.

I've heard of Rembrandt, but I've never encountered his full name, and thus thought that was a last name. Reminds me of when I missed a clue about the Pied Piper, because I'd honestly never heard the "of Hamelin" part of his name before.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Am I alone in finding the pace of the shows excruciatingly slow? What I would really like to see for a team game would be something like duplicate bridge - Let one player from each team play the whole game. The next game, let a different player from each team play exactly the same board. We would lose the fun of playing against the contestants, but wouldn't it be fascinating to see how differently things play out?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

While I am Foursquare behind Team Julia in this tournament, I am completely nonplussed by Jackhammer Julia's erroneous answer in this Final Jeopardy round. The question was obviously calling for a Dutch artist, born near the mouth of a river that flows into the North Sea. I immediately went to Rembrandt.

I had also pre called Michelangelo as somebody with a different last name, which a player used in my recent Kirsten Dunst TD.

Is there any hope for sweet Julia after this?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:48 pm While I am Foursquare behind Team Julia in this tournament, I am completely nonplussed by Jackhammer Julia's erroneous answer in this Final Jeopardy round. The question was obviously calling for a Dutch artist, born near the mouth of a river that flows into the North Sea. I immediately went to Rembrandt.

I had also pre called Michelangelo as somebody with a different last name, which a player used in my recent Kirsten Dunst TD.

Is there any hope for sweet Julia after this?
Team Colby is at WC #2 with 21800. Team Austin is at #3 with only 8000. Team Julia led Team Austin going into the FJ! round today. It's silly to count out Team Julia as an 8000 deficit is next to nothing and the possibility is there to jump Team Colby as well. Ben Ingram is an excellent player. Roger can only play one round tomorrow. Monica has to play 30 clues tomorrow. Matt will only being playing one clue.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Surprised that I(usually like half or less), actually knew quite a lot here besides the comedy category. Got all the Roger Craig incorrect's. haha

The FJ was a gimme to me. So many clues in one. By North Sea, long river, known by one name, surname reflects location/area/river.

Leaves Dutch or German(van/von)

Just a curious question, how many of you know the last names of some famous "one-named" Artists?

None comes to my mind.
Last edited by CyrusChan on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

This type of dominant gameplay is (mostly) why I love Matt. That was simply awesome to watch.

Had this Final right after a few seconds of thought. Seem to recall reading once that Julia was an art history major in school, so that has to be a disappointing miss. Understandable though if she had more names to sort through and more possible detours.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

"A little while ago, just before we came on the air." I really don't know why they keep trying to maintain the fiction that this is all live.

It's probably because they had run that shot of Ken and Monica just before, but I said "hoe" for "plow."
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

:)
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Well... that was surprising. I expected a much more evenly matched slugfest between Roger and Matt with Roger having the edge. I'm disappointed Roger didn't uncover either DD. But even if he had, he didn't have enough money to bet a gasp-inducing amount.

And I definitely didn't expect Julia to be the sole miss on a category in which she's strong. Yet not only did she miss, she misspelled her incorrect guess. Ouch. As mentioned earlier, an Italian isn't a terrific guess for an artist named after a river that starts in the Alps and ends in the North Sea. Michelangelo's from the north part of Italy, so I guess one could imagine him being named after river that starts in the Italian Alps. I think this turned out to be as much a Geography FJ as an Artists one. I just pictured the river flowing into the North Sea and it took me right through Rembrandt country. I remembered him having a "van Rijn" occasionally attached to his name and that was good enough for me. It wasn't until after the reveal that I realized the Rijn was probably the same river I know as the Rhine. I've never made that connection before.

I'll be checking the poll box that says I got the Spike Jones clue. Also the box that says I've heard at least one song recorded by Spike Jones and the City Slickers. Also the box that says my dad owned at least one Spike Jones record, more if you count the ones his younger brother stole while my dad was in Korea.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ouch, this continuation of game was stressful to watch

I remember Roger losing $10,200 on a big DD about Lake Winnipeg in game 2 of the BOTD Final. Today, he got burned once again by a Canadian lake, but only lost $1,200

LT: GIBBON!!!

FJ sent me into a tailspin. It took me some time to get to Rhine, and then I focused on the source of the river, not the mouth

I would *NOT* want to play FJ in a team tournament. Too. Much. Pressure.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

Don't know how but I got FJ fairly quickly. It just popped into my head. Probably helps that I did my study abroad term in his hometown.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I'm on team Roger (ok, team Austin) since I've known him for about 20 years... so this wasn't the happiest show to watch. This is what can happen when you have to out-buzz some of the fastest players - like Matt Jackson. Roger's negs took them out of contention for the lead. Matt was intense, as usual - and super impressive.

I tried to play the game of who got final by looking at their faces during the music: Monica and Julia seemed confident, Leonard unsure. I'm bad at this, and shouldn't play poker.

I wonder now about strategy for round 2:
Julia's team have to decide who they want for DJ. Ben's dominance on FJ suggests they put him there, with Seth in single and Julia in DJ.

Leonard is a big unknown - I don't know how fast and knowledgeable he is after becoming an adult. Is he strong enough to replace Austin in DJ? Probably not, so we'll likely see Leonard SJ, Austin DJ, Roger FJ, but I'm hoping for Roger SJ, Leonard DJ, Austin FJ for the surprise.

Matt is (relatively) weak at FJ, but if you want Ken to buzz twice, you have to put him there. Matt is close enough in buzzing to Ken that maybe you call an audible and switch things up for round 2: Matt SJ, Monica DJ, Ken FJ? Nah - no way. Stick with the game plan, and keep FJ mostly irrelevant by having Ken dominate: Monica SJ, Ken DJ, Matt FJ.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

boson wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:46 pm I tried to play the game of who got final by looking at their faces during the music: Monica and Julia seemed confident, Leonard unsure. I'm bad at this, and shouldn't play poker.
Nonsense! You just need a little practice. Come on over to my place on Friday. Bring lots of cash.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Wow! The two students did indeed represent!

Michelangelo is a first name I don't know his last name. Good a guess as any. No need to parse the geography for a name I must not have heard of according to the TOM in the clue.

Rembrandt is a last name. What were his parents thinking giving him a name like that? I'm sure he got beat up and lost his lunch money a lot :lol: .

The small bet didn't pay off for the teams that made them and the big bet may be the coup de grace that saves Colby and Austin teams.

This has been more interesting than I expected but I'm glad the biographies are done. It will get tense tomorrow but could easily get anti-climactic my Friday if there's a run-and-hide performance again.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 pm Rembrandt is a last name.
First name.