Tuesday, February 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 26, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:26 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 pm Rembrandt is a last name.
First name.
Toothpaste.
davey

Post by davey »

When this art FJ became a geography FJ, I wasn't getting it... :oops:
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

CyrusChan wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:03 pm Just a curious question, how many of you know the last names of some famous "one-named" Artists?

None comes to my mind.
I know Rembrandt, but Michelangelo is the only Ninja Turtle I know. I've forgotten Christo's last name, if I ever knew it.

ETA: Duh, I know Leonardo's name too.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

I got 24 right missing Spike Jones, Rachel Bloom, Harvey Korman, Olive Oil, Internacine, and House Minority Leader.
DD: 2/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gibbon
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Gibbon
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 pm
Euphonium wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:30 pm
It's probably because they had run that shot of Ken and Monica just before, but I said "hoe" for "plow."
Years before Ken made that gaffe, I was telling people Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky were a perfect couple because he's a rake and she's ... well, never mind.
You're really ramping up the repugnant factor in this thread. Congrats on that.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Surely Matt's 364,878 flashcards means he made all of the j-archive into a giant flashcard deck. This isn't too technically difficult, but I can't imagine how it would be practical for memorization. I suppose you could just study an hour a day (at 5 seconds per card this would take ~16 months with no repeats) to get a basic feel for how clues/categories are structured. But this is a lot of work and doesn't allow for spaced repetition or other memorization techniques. In fact, Roger Craig specifically rejects this idea in his talk about such methods.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:26 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 pm Rembrandt is a last name.
First name.
Dutch season!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I heard that Matt shut down Alex in the interview segment, which had to be edited out. Like, "I'm not answering that. Ask me another question." He stood his ground about something he didn't prefer to discuss (I understand it was Alex just going off the cuff and asking him something about plans for the future, which I guess he isn't interested in putting on national TV) until Alex had to relent. Which is kind of badass.
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 am ...Internacine,...
This reminds me, Roger kind of mispronounced this word, so someone could think it's spelled like this. It's internecine, usually pronounced with a long or short e in the third syllable...
yclept

Post by yclept »

Although they don’t know it, Team Julia was a correct response away from essentially clinching a wild-card. They would have just needed to avoid a negative score on Wednesday. They wanted to keep playing for the win(nothing wrong with that) rather than stay close to Team Austin with a conservative wager.

Matt was so impressive - there are so many combinations in the championship round that could be fun to watch. Matt and Larissa? Wouldn’t mind seeing that showdown.

Team Colby is feeling at least a little better now, but these teams are already assuming a big score is needed to advance. Not hard to imagine these two teams being in position to overtake Colby’s score heading into FJ tomorrow...
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

DavidRosen wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:38 pm Am I alone in finding the pace of the shows excruciatingly slow? What I would really like to see for a team game would be something like duplicate bridge - Let one player from each team play the whole game. The next game, let a different player from each team play exactly the same board. We would lose the fun of playing against the contestants, but wouldn't it be fascinating to see how differently things play out?
No...you're not. It took a half hour to play one round. Not a fan of this format. But...that's just my opinion.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

yclept wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:46 am Although they don’t know it, Team Julia was a correct response away from essentially clinching a wild-card. They would have just needed to avoid a negative score on Wednesday. They wanted to keep playing for the win(nothing wrong with that) rather than stay close to Team Austin with a conservative wager.
Not really likely to be in play here but just an FYI: they wouldn't have to avoid a negative score. Unless the show has changed its rules, which I assume we would have heard about, a negative score in a game that is part of a "2-day, total point affair" is considered $0. So $22,400 for Team Julia would indeed have clinched a spot in the next round.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Painful loss for Julia. But congrats to Team Ken for all doing great.

Alex's opening comments made me realize that I was not in the wrong for being confused about how the opening episodes worked. That was nice to see.
Leander

Post by Leander »

SBurrus wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:50 am
DavidRosen wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:38 pm Am I alone in finding the pace of the shows excruciatingly slow? What I would really like to see for a team game would be something like duplicate bridge - Let one player from each team play the whole game. The next game, let a different player from each team play exactly the same board. We would lose the fun of playing against the contestants, but wouldn't it be fascinating to see how differently things play out?
No...you're not. It took a half hour to play one round. Not a fan of this format. But...that's just my opinion.
I like the team concept, but I hate how they have split the rounds over two days, which makes each day interminably slow. I'm not getting much from the behind the scenes strategy discussions either. I would have preferred the normal one day per game, with each teammates handling a different round for the whole tournament.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:56 am I heard that Matt shut down Alex in the interview segment, which had to be edited out. Like, "I'm not answering that. Ask me another question." He stood his ground about something he didn't prefer to discuss (I understand it was Alex just going off the cuff and asking him something about plans for the future, which I guess he isn't interested in putting on national TV) until Alex had to relent. Which is kind of badass.
Matt is planning to stage a Russian coup in the future. Nobody can know.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

davey wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:07 am ...Internacine,...
This reminds me, Roger kind of mispronounced this word, so someone could think it's spelled like this. It's internecine, usually pronounced with a long or short e in the third syllable...
Hmm.

Given "Armenia," then, I wonder if it's a dialect or even idiolect matter.
Last edited by Euphonium on Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 pm
Euphonium wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:30 pm
It's probably because they had run that shot of Ken and Monica just before, but I said "hoe" for "plow."
Years before Ken made that gaffe, I was telling people Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky were a perfect couple because he's a rake and she's ... well, never mind.
Can we not with the misogyny?
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:21 am The leader of the City Slickers? Nice fogey trash for the home viewers.
Hey!

Barring an unforeseen collapse by Team Ken, we're looking at yet another title match involving J!'s resident multi-millionaires. Must be nice to get a call from TPTB every few years to the effect of, "hey, can you come back to Culver City so we can hand you another small fortune?"

I was OK with the first-round setup, which gave us a chance to get reacquainted with the players, some of whose names and faces are familiar to only the most dedicated fans. Even half of a J! game involves twice as many questions/answers than a typical episode of WWTBAM. For those who weren't happy with the pace of play, buckle up; these last five shows are going to zip by.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Fleeboy wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:55 am Barring an unforeseen collapse by Team Ken, we're looking at yet another title match involving J!'s resident multi-millionaires. Must be nice to get a call from TPTB every few years to the effect of, "hey, can you come back to Culver City so we can hand you another small fortune?"
Yeah, it must be nice! See also Alex Trebek. He must have one of the world's greatest jobs. I wonder how many total days he needs to show up at the studio. Somewhere around 50?